It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NFL reception rule
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:07 pm 

It was laughable, so much so I was sure he was in on it some how.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

So Dez must not try to score. He must fall immediately so the refs clearly view his catch. Great players cannot use their natural ability because a rule is too slow for their skill?

How many steps make a catch? Three is not enough apparently. The "experts" say the steps dont matter. So if this catch happens on the twenty, he "stumbles" ten or fifteen times then falls into the end zone off balance its not a catch?

This is silly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i don't know, whats pass interference and defensive holding actually? i hope they don't change the rule. Wr's have it so easy today, the rules are slanted SO towards them that that they have to deal with this rule once in a blue moon is fine by me. We have basically hamstrung db's and safety's that they can't do jack crap without getting a flag thrown.

but the eye test the eye test!!! gfys... using the eye test almost 50% of illegal contact and pass interference calls are just good football plays but we hardly bitch about those because those are the rules! And you can't even CHALLENGE them! Even when replay shows they are complete BS.

i'd tell wr's to screw off. the fact that anytime you don't catch a ball and a defender is near you you stand up with that STUPID look on your face raising your hands like you were just mugged makes me hope they make the rules of what constitutes a catch even harder you narcissistic douchebags

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
not to the degree of football. umpires don't take guys off bases, move them back, award free bases. Call ground rule doubles on popups.

Yep that is right, Eric Gregg never widened the strike zone for the Braves pitchers back in the day.

Other way around though wasnt it?

Lots of references to a huge strikezone for Livan Hernandez in 97 ALCS

that '97 NLCS Livan hernandez game was without a doubt the most poorly umpired game i have ever witnessed, and maybe the most poorly officiated game of any televised sporting event i have ever seen.

as far as randomness of officiating, i still say the NBA takes the cake in the regard. phantom fouls based on reputation and makeup calls have helped kill my enjoyment of that sport. the NFL reception rule sucks bad though. i'll never understand how a receiver has to basically bring the ball directly to the official and HAND it to him to get credit for a catch, but a running back only has to breath on the goal line and it is a touchdown, even when clearly on his feet during the play fighting for yardage and fumbles it. in fairness, that guy should have to complete the play and land in the end zone with possession, shouldn't he? I'm not seeing how that is any different.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
man of few opinions wrote:
as far as randomness of officiating, i still say the NBA takes the cake in the regard. phantom fouls based on reputation and makeup calls have helped kill my enjoyment of that sport.

I completely agree. NBA officials have way too much impact on the outcome of the game.
My problem with the NFL is that the rules themselves are so damn complicated that it starts to not even pass the smell test. Definition of Catch....Tuck Rule....these go beyond common sense. Then you get to the judgment penalties of holding, pass interference, and unsportsmanlike conduct. None of these are interpreted or enforced consistently, and yes...you end up with the "star rule", which I cannot stand. Baseball is very much guilty with strikezone, but that's one dimension...this is multiple.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.