It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PENN ST
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:12 am 

Spaulding wrote:
I'm with bigfan on this. I think it makes psu look dumb.

Well that does it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hawg Ass wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Well that does it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:18 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Well that does it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
bigfan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Psycory wrote:
This logic is so odd to me. Learning from a scandal leads to Penn State being proactive on addressing sexual miscounduct but we can't be too proactive because we shouldn't be a leader on how to deal with this problem because we had a huge scandal under the previous regime.

I think the issue is there is no logic to being at odds with their pronouncement.

A lot can learned from the mistakes that were made at Penn St and who better than them to learn from them and pass on that knowledge through better programs for themselves, and others.

Someone else can report those mistakes, Penn St can cooperate, assist, etc.

And in an academic setting, PSU would get credit for being a leader in developing these types of programs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I am happy to give them credit, applaude them for making the effort, and on and on....

Someone else can lead the effort, they can come along for the ride.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:25 am 

So, this nomination is ultimately about them doing too much to combat sexual misconduct?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
No.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
spanky wrote:
Keep up the good work PSU (seriously) but let somebody else declare themselves the leader.

This.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Ok, I see the point, we should not have declared ourselves a leader in this area. I buy that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:07 pm 

Psycory wrote:
Ok, I see the point, we should not have declared ourselves a leader in this area. I buy that.

Well, to be fair, I don't see where they declared themselves the leader, just that that's their purported goal.

Quote:
... charged by President Eric Barron to elevate Penn State as a national leader in addressing sexual misconduct, ...

Still, it just doesn't sit well ... file under "too soon" I guess.

Probably doesn't really mean shit to a tree in the long run.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
He's a ballsy guy. Wasn't here when the scandal broke, was at FSU at that time and turned that ship around. We are optimistic for him here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:24 pm 

Psycory wrote:
He's a ballsy guy. Wasn't here when the scandal broke, was at FSU at that time and turned that ship around. We are optimistic for him here.

Probably a good characteristic ... almost certainly preferable to a Casper Milquetoast-type cat ... I suspect it might have been received by the larger audience (outside the PSU community) if it were more understated until perhaps one could point to this, that, and the other as somewhat objective evidence was available to cite.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:25 pm 

bigfan wrote:
The Penn State sexual assault and sexual harassment task force, charged by President Eric Barron to elevate Penn State as a national leader in addressing sexual misconduct, has delivered its final report and made it available online today (Jan. 29). With a comprehensive set of 18 recommendations, the report notes the University needs a better-defined message surrounding sexual misconduct and a designated stand-alone office dedicated to the issue.

While addressing the issue and creating better guidelines are a good thing, maybe some other University could have been the "National Leader" on this issue?

Its like hiring Bernie Madoff as your investent advisor!

When underlining the whole passage from the comma the context and intrepreation may be perceived differently. PSU President Barron can add any embellishment to a committee, task force or program, and given that this is excerpted from Penn State News the embellishment is not necessarily his.
The task force was formed in response to the consent decree signed between PSU and the NCAA. Given the notoriety to such an entity it would be reasonable to expect it to be both credible and to produce something.

There's no doubt that horrifc crimes occurred in State College (and elsewhere) and those crimes should be (or should have been) investigated by professionals and adjudicated in the courts. The NCAA is not equipped professionally to perform criminal investigations and they shouldn't rely upon contracted 3rd party investigators who can neither subpoena or interview the witnesses or the accused. Thus the NCAA's legal standing to impose punishment upon PSU has now been called into question by the courts. When it comes to following the money and/or The Second Mile that is clearly beyond the purview of the NCAA.

There are still the accused "conspirators" who have yet to have a day in court (going into year 3) there are various reasons as to why this continues. Maybe the lack of a consipiracy and the actions of one man undetected for 25 years is why it went on for so long.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:19 pm 

there was enough national backlash about Penn State self proclaiming themselves as a leader on an issue that looks like many people agree woth me, maybe Penn State needs to allow someone else to head this issue up.

So much that the President of the Univeristy today had to respond.

This further proves my initial point. Here is the President of the University listing issues he has with the report on his schools problems. Sorry, you cant agree to a full investigation, not like the investigation and now claim you will do everything right. Nothing good comes of this.....................

http://news.psu.edu/story/342778/2015/01/29/administration/president-barron-challenges-facing-penn-state-university-post?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=psu%20official

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:43 pm 

I wonder how many people knew.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:52 pm 

bigfan wrote:
there was enough national backlash about Penn State self proclaiming themselves as a leader on an issue that looks like many people agree woth me, maybe Penn State needs to allow someone else to head this issue up.

This further proves my initial point. Here is the President of the University listing issues he has with the report on his schools problems. Sorry, you cant agree to a full investigation, not like the investigation and now claim you will do everything right. Nothing good comes of this.....................

http://news.psu.edu/story/342778/2015/01/29/administration/president-barron-challenges-facing-penn-state-university-post?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=psu%20official

Did you get these from 2 different sources? Look at the dateline? Read the story about the report?

A report is presented, the corporation responds, in their response there's expressed defiance.

The court, not the one of public opinion, is changing the narrative.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:

Your original post is why he chose to write a letter today. And in it, he explains quite clearly why folks that judge from a distance, and based upon the Freeh report, don't have all of the info needed to do so.

Freeh did not have subpoena power and could not interfere with on-going criminal investigations, and as a consequence his team could not interview many of the most salient individuals. Regardless of how many times we might try to redo this investigation, the same limitations will appear for the identical reasons.

Equally important, Freeh expressed his personal opinions and conclusions about the motivation of individuals, rather than simply presenting factual information. Certainly, some of the content raises real questions, but only through criminal proceedings do you have access to all witnesses and only through this process do you view information from the counter-balanced perspective of both defense and prosecutor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:57 pm 

Both came from Penn States own twitter feed. So Penn St is the one pushing these stories out there. I understand you want to know the source of the story, you can look at that yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:03 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Your original post is why he chose to write a letter today. And in it, he explains quite clearly why folks that judge from a distance, and based upon the Freeh report, don't have all of the info needed to do so.

Freeh did not have subpoena power and could not interfere with on-going criminal investigations, and as a consequence his team could not interview many of the most salient individuals. Regardless of how many times we might try to redo this investigation, the same limitations will appear for the identical reasons.

Equally important, Freeh expressed his personal opinions and conclusions about the motivation of individuals, rather than simply presenting factual information. Certainly, some of the content raises real questions, but only through criminal proceedings do you have access to all witnesses and only through this process do you view information from the counter-balanced perspective of both defense and prosecutor.

MY POST, is why the President of Penn State chose to write an extended letter today?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Quote:
... charged by President Eric Barron to elevate Penn State as a national leader in addressing sexual misconduct, ...

DB Denied, they didn't say they were actually going to do anything about it, they were just going to be the national leader in addressing it. Since no other institution has as much sexual misconduct (that we know about), they have more to address than anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:15 pm 

More than enough people see the issue with this.....and if the President feels the need to try and address it, maybe they shouldnt be leading such a sensitive subject.

Maybe they still have an image problem that they should be working on before they assign themselves as the National Leader in an area many dont seem so comfortable having them lead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:28 pm 

It would be like FSU asking Ted Bundy to lead Greek week in 1978.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
bigfan wrote:

MY POST, is why the President of Penn State chose to write an extended letter today?

"so many issues of national discussion today are more focused on creating polarity and controversy than they are on providing clarity or finding solutions.

For this reason, I believe that I owe you, as your president, a clear description of my views and my thoughts on this important topic."

That is why he wrote the letter.

Btw, have you figured out yet who Bernstein reminds you of?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:04 am 

The troll under the bridge in Three Billy Goats Gruff.