It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Theo Epstein
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hatchetman wrote:
just skip the #9 spot in the batting order and ditch the DH too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
What are you gonna do ? Shorten it from 183 mins to 177?
It is less about total game length and more about the pace of play. I find it virtually impossible to watch a whole game of baseball. You can even see it when you are at a game. The amount of people not paying attention to large portions of the game is pretty staggering. I've gone to to the bathroom, waited in line, come back, and missed two or three batters.

And before I get the "you like football and they stand around!" stuff, the NFL needs to do some things to work on the pace of play too but most of that has to do with penalties and administration of kickoffs/punts/extra points.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:13 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
And before I get the "you like football and they stand around!" stuff, the NFL needs to do some things to work on the pace of play too but most of that has to do with penalties and administration of kickoffs/punts/extra points.

Every year the NFL thinks of something new to be eligible for automatic replays. That's the biggest problem with their game. They dominate ratings, and replays just let some sell more commercials, so this will never change.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:15 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Every year the NFL thinks of something new to be eligible for automatic replays. That's the biggest problem with their game. They dominate ratings, and replays just let some sell more commercials, so this will never change.
I'm actually ok with replay. They do it right with the commercials and it almost always is surrounded by solid game action.

Nothing worse than scoring a touchdown, celebrate, kick the extra point, commercial, kickoff out of the back of the end zone, commercial, come back and the team is then going to take 20 seconds to finally snap the ball.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
It is less about total game length and more about the pace of play. I find it virtually impossible to watch a whole game of baseball. You can even see it when you are at a game. The amount of people not paying attention to large portions of the game is pretty staggering. I've gone to to the bathroom, waited in line, come back, and missed two or three batters.

I find a baseball game much more interesting to watch in its entirety than a football game. Even when fantasy football implications are factored in.

Baseball is baseball. There are folks out there that can never be converted into fans. Just have to move past it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I think what you say about at the game applies to all sports

I just don't wanna change anything. I don't care about how popular it is

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:19 pm 

Which is "pretty damn popular, but not as popular as football." But nationally, it still beats basketball and hockey. And golf. And tennis.

And it is making money hand over fist. Not sure why this is such a worry. Solidify the current fan base now...we'll make sure our kids grow up to become baseball fans as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:23 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
Which is "pretty damn popular, but not as popular as football." But nationally, it still beats basketball and hockey. And golf. And tennis.

And it is making money hand over fist. Not sure why this is such a worry. Solidify the current fan base now...we'll make sure our kids grow up to become baseball fans as well.
Baseball has by far the oldest portion of old fans. They are losing a whole generation of sports fans like me that have effectively moved on from watching the product.

I don't see what would be so bad about a pitch clock and rules that get batters up to the plate quicker and keep them there. Is that the true secret of baseball? If batters were not allowed to leave the batters box and pitchers had 20 seconds to throw a pitch would you stop watching?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:25 pm 

All these knee-jerk reactions are growing tiresome. Hitters have been slow to make the necessary adjustments because everything in baseball has gone their way for the last 50 plus years. Eventually they will change their approach or organizations will replace the free swingers with contact hitters. The strikeouts will decrease, the runs will increase and all will be right with the world.

The REALLY! SMART! PEOPLE! need to chill the fuck out before they really fuck something up. The game will fix itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:27 pm 

I dint care what you do to the batter, but he pitcher controls the pace. If you wanna make rules to prevent extremes like Steve Trachsel that's fine but that's it

Closers take way longer er pitch and its dramatic and awesome. Do we want to rush that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Keyser Soze wrote:
All these knee-jerk reactions are growing tiresome. Hitters have been slow to make the necessary adjustments because everything in baseball has gone their way for the last 50 plus years. Eventually they will change their approach or organizations will replace the free swingers with contact hitters. The strikeouts will decrease, the runs will increase and all will be right with the world.

The REALLY! SMART! PEOPLE! need to chill the fuck out before they really fuck something up. The game will fix itself.

This is especially true regarding the radical shifts. If guys started to make contact, go the other way, bunt, etc. instead of going up looking to walk or homer, the shifts would end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
The DH fucking sucks. I hate it. I'd rather watch Mike Bielecki hit than a DH. I shit on DHs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Just change the number of practice pitches an incoming pitcher gets, from 8 to 1 or 2, and eliminate the commercial break.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:40 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
The DH fucking sucks. I hate it. I'd rather watch Mike Bielecki hit than a DH. I shit on DHs.

Hatchetman + Iron Sheik = MATCH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:41 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

At your age that will slow things down either further

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hatchetman wrote:

Quote:
Ron Blomberg says: "Bite Me"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:42 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I dint care what you do to the batter, but he pitcher controls the pace. If you wanna make rules to prevent extremes like Steve Trachsel that's fine but that's it

Closers take way longer er pitch and its dramatic and awesome. Do we want to rush that?

Hurry up and get this fucking game over with so I can get back to my empty, rudderless life and wishing I was doing something fun like watching baseball!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:52 pm 

Reduce outs from 3 to 2 per inning.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Don Tiny wrote:

Hurry up and get this fucking game over with so I can get back to my empty, rudderless life and wishing I was doing something fun like watching baseball!!!

There is that self deprecating Don we know and love so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:59 pm 

Some people here just don't like baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:00 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

There is that self deprecating Don we know and love so much.

Keep this up and you'll be getting scads of lv 2 goblins donated to you ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:00 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I'm going to use this line when anyone thinks anything can be improved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Baseball has by far the oldest portion of old fans. They are losing a whole generation of sports fans like me that have effectively moved on from watching the product.

I don't see what would be so bad about a pitch clock and rules that get batters up to the plate quicker and keep them there. Is that the true secret of baseball? If batters were not allowed to leave the batters box and pitchers had 20 seconds to throw a pitch would you stop watching?

They aren't though. We're the same generation. There are HUGE baseball fans in our generation. Both in terms of numbers and strength of fandom. We talk about it at bars. We talk about it on Facebook. We go to the games. We buy the merchandise.

Maybe you, and your circle, aren't into baseball like you used to be. But overall, it seems fine to me.

I'm not against the pitch clock, and the anti-Garciaparra rules. But the sport does not need wholesale changes. You are a fan of baseball, or you're not. Little changes won't suddenly make the game an action sport.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Some people here just don't like BRick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
immessedup17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They aren't though. We're the same generation. There are HUGE baseball fans in our generation. Both in terms of numbers and strength of fandom. We talk about it at bars. We talk about it on Facebook. We go to the games. We buy the merchandise.

Maybe you, and your circle, aren't into baseball like you used to be. But overall, it seems fine to me.

I'm not against the pitch clock, and the anti-Garciaparra rules. But the sport does not need wholesale changes. You are a fan of baseball, or you're not. Little changes won't suddenly make the game an action sport.

Eh, I think there are growing number of fans of the Cubs, Mariners, Cards etc but not necessarily baseball fans. And then a decent portion are fans just long enough to get them to football. I count myself in that group.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:20 pm 

immessedup17 wrote:
I'm not just making this up. There are people who have studied and determined this. Baseball has the oldest demographics of the four major sports. Me and my friends talk Purdue sports all the time. It doesn't make them bigger than Notre Dame.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Awesome, I have been waiting for years for someone to use one of my thoughts.