It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brian Williams
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
What a scummy dickbag. Not just the lie, but also what a gutless apology on top of it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/04/brian-williams-taints-his-brand.html

Brian Williams’ War Story Is FUBAR

-- The claim that his helicopter was hit by an RPG in Iraq blew up in his face. Now the NBC anchor is busily apologizing to salvage his reputation—and career. --

The Brian Williams Apology Tour has begun—and who knows where it will end?

The NBC Nightly News anchor publicly apologized three times Wednesday—during his regular broadcast, in a Facebook post, and in Stars and Stripes—after the military-focused newspaper published a damning story that Williams and NBC have been claiming falsely “for years” that, during the 2003 Iraq invasion, he was aboard a U.S. Army helicopter that was hit and forced down by rocket-propelled grenades.

“The story actually started with a terrible moment a dozen years back during the invasion of Iraq,” Williams told viewers during last Friday’s broadcast of the top-rated NBC Nightly News, “when the helicopter we were traveling in was forced down after being hit by an RPG.” Video accompanying the story showed a severely damaged helicopter, its skin pierced by an RPG, and strongly suggested that Williams had been a passenger on the combat-hobbled aircraft.

Williams has told the story of being hit by enemy fire at least twice on national television, most recently during Friday’s Nightly News segment about a retired Army sergeant who protected him and his NBC colleagues in the war zone. But Stars and Stripes reported that contrary to Williams’ tall tale, his Chinook helicopter was miles away when an entirely different chopper took enemy fire.

The Nightly News story focused on honoring retired Sgt. Tim Terpack, who, as Williams’ guest at a New York Rangers hockey game last Thursday, was introduced by the Madison Square Garden announcer with the erroneous anecdote and received a standing ovation from the crowd as the two men hugged.

Williams quickly retracted the story after Stars and Stripes confronted him with testimony from the crew of the 159th Aviation Regiment’s Chinook that actually was downed by rockets and small-arms fire; service members who were on the scene at the time also took to Facebook after Friday’s broadcast to contradict the Williams account.

“I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” Williams told the newspaper, adding that he was sorry. “I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.... No, we never came under direct enemy fire to the aircraft.”

In a remorseful Facebook post, Williams wrote: “I spent much of the weekend thinking I’d gone crazy. I feel terrible about making this mistake....”

And in his apology on Wednesday’s Nightly News broadcast, Williams pleaded with viewers to trust his good intentions, cut him slack for his love of the U.S. military, and forgive his faulty memory: “[I]n an effort to honor and thank a veteran who protected me and so many others following a ground-fire incident in the desert during the Iraq War, I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago. It didn’t take long to hear from some brave men and women in the air crews who were also in the desert.... This was a bungled attempt by me to thank one special veteran, and by extension, our brave military men and women—veterans everywhere—those who have served while I did not. I hope they know they have my greatest respect… and also now my apology.”

Unfortunately for Williams, this is not the first time he has made “this mistake” on network television. On the March 26, 2013 episode of CBS’s Late Show With David Letterman, he told the host (at the 3 minute, 50-second mark): “Two of our four helicopters were hit by ground fire, including the one I was in.”

“No kidding!” Letterman exclaimed.

“RPG and AK-47,” Williams elaborated.

“What altitude were you hit at?” Letterman asked.

“We were only at 100 feet doing 100 forward knots...”

“What happens the minute everybody realizes you’ve been hit?” Letterman asked.

“We figure out how to land safely—and we did,” Williams answered. “We landed very quickly and hard...”

Stars and Stripes left open the possibility that Williams also misreported the incident initially on March 26, 2003, but it turns out that back then, at least, he never claimed to have been aboard the attacked chopper—during two different broadcasts on that date. Television news analyst Andrew Tyndall dipped into his videotape library and screened the Nightly News segment in which Williams said “he was in a convoy of helicopters, one of which got hit,” Tyndall told The Daily Beast.

NBC News, meanwhile, unearthed a March 26, 2003, Dateline segment in which Williams reported: “On the ground, we learn that the Chinook ahead of us was almost blown of the sky.”

Whether Williams’ Chinook was flying in close formation with the chopper that was hit—as his NBC reports imply—or was traveling as much as an hour behind it—as Stars and Stripes’ witnesses contend—remains a matter in dispute. “Williams arrived in the area about an hour later on another helicopter after the other three had made an emergency landing, the crew members said,” Stars and Stripes reported.

The Williams claim to have been under fire recalls 2008 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s false assertion that, as first lady in March 1996, she came under sniper fire during a trip to Tuzla, Bosnia. “I remember landing under sniper fire,” Clinton said during a speech. “There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base." CBS News video of Clinton’s arrival showed no such thing; instead she alighted on the tarmac and greeted a welcoming child who offered her a poem.

Needless to say, the standards of veracity and accuracy demanded of a network news anchorman are much higher than those expected of a politician. Clinton ended up in a world of hurt for her Bosnia fabrication, and Williams, at least for the near future, might suffer a similar hard landing.

“The actual lie is a trivial one,” Tyndall said, noting that it has zero public policy or political implications. “But the motive for the lie is really damning. Telling fibs to make yourself seem braver than you are? Why would you do that? The actual consequences of the lie are minimal, but the moral problems the lie raises are massive.”

Tyndall, however, said Williams can recover. “But it all depends on how much is mobilized against him and how contrite and forthcoming he is in response to it. This is not fatal, but it’s really bad.”

Post subject: Re: Brian Williams
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:20 am 

He's a hero, like that American Sniper guy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Another idiot.

He'll end up getting an award or two from his liberal pals in the media so he shouldn't worry too much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
yikes the recent 2013 letterman interview comments are not good for his cause

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Well,now I know what Eric Boiling (FOXNews "The Five") was cracking wise about on facebook.

It's been a tough 4 weeks for Williams. His daughter getting "ass munched" on HBO's Girls show and now this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:37 am 

RIP KRAZY IVAN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:38 am 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:58 am 

another guy only sorry because he got caught

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:59 am 

Free Press

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:12 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
another guy only sorry because he got caught

Isn't this the case the overwhelming majority of the time.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 am 

spanky wrote:
RIP KRAZY IVAN

(took me a moment though :oops: )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
He's gotta get fired over this right? Looks like Tim Johnson will soon have a drinking buddy.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i think this just goes to show the ego maniacal nature of these people. how in the hell did he not expect this to eventually come out. you have to be insane to think that this would be kept under wraps forever. and with an apology like that, he assumes (probably correctly) that it will all go away eventually and noone will give two craps about it a few weeks from now

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:45 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
He's gotta get fired over this right? Looks like Tim Johnson will soon have a drinking buddy.

Wouldn't be entirely surprised if he got the ol' "go quietly retire soon" speech like CBS (possibly) gave to Dan Rather. rather than what?

Even in this day and age, a national nightly news anchor can't just outright lie about something, get found out, and then go on about their merry way ... I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't know how Williams thinks he can walk this back as an honest mistake after what he told Letterman. This is a big deal. I think NBC might fire him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I'm confused what he lied about here. He got the wrong kind of artillery?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Beardown wrote:
I don't know how Williams thinks he can walk this back as an honest mistake after what he told Letterman. This is a big deal. I think NBC might fire him.

He should be fired for this.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Don Tiny wrote:
spanky wrote:
RIP KRAZY IVAN

(took me a moment though :oops: )

:lol: Me too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:58 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

He said he was in the helicopter that got hit when in actuality he was in a different helicopter but the same convoy.

The part about being hit by anything is a total fabrication.

Sucks cause I liked BW.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

He said he was in the helicopter that got hit when in actuality he was in a different helicopter but the same convoy.

Sucks cause I liked BW.

Uhhhmmm, post-traumatic stress perhaps ? :wink:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
rogers park bryan wrote:
[He said he was in the helicopter that got hit when in actuality he was in a different helicopter but the same convoy.

Sucks cause I liked BW.

thanks for distilling that poorly written article into something a second grader can understand.

I thought the guy was ALREADY retired and on the speech circuit.

not like any of these guys are anything but talking heads anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Now the story isn't sounding as bad for Williams.

The pilot of the plane carrying Williams said that their helicopter was hit. Just not by an RPG. I guess it was just bullets pinging off them. Nothing penetrated their helicopter.

That makes it a little better than his plane not getting hit at all. Maybe he heard the guys talking about the attack after it happened and misunderstood what happened. Maybe not. But at least it wasn't a total lie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:39 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Now the story isn't sounding as bad for Williams.

The pilot of the plane carrying Williams said that their helicopter was hit. Just not by an RPG. I guess it was just bullets pinging off them. Nothing penetrated their helicopter.

That makes it a little better than his plane not getting hit at all. Maybe he heard the guys talking about the attack after it happened and misunderstood what happened. Maybe not. But at least it wasn't a total lie.

His half-assed apologies don't seem to coincide with that being the case ... i.e., "I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another," etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm just telling you what the pilot who was flying Williams said. He said they were shot at. Why would he lie?

The story is weird and confusing. I don't think anybody knows what really happened. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
NBC should fire him today.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Did he read the news tonight?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Did he read the news tonight?

John Lennon wrote:
I read the news today, oh boy ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:07 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I miss the good ole' days:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hussra wrote:

:lol:

Is twitter blowing up with Fake Brian Williams accounts? Stupid question. Of course it is.