It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Seacrest wrote:

LL needs to address the lack of kids playing in many inner city areas. This won't help any.

But full time travel ball is eventually going to kill in house leagues. Not enough skilled kids left to make it any fun.

Someone told me that the decrease in enrollment happens around middle school. There about 8-10 teams for 10 year olds but it goes down to 4 or so by the time they turn 12. I don't know if that's when the more skilled just kind of take over or what. The nine year old games were brutal. I don't think it's the right age for them to go to kid pitch.

My son dropped it already. He's not very good and was on a team last year with no friends. The coach was a little bit of a dick but not really a bad coach. I think it turned him off of something he wasn't really interested in and kinda bored by the whole thing. I'd like to see them do something to make it more fun but I'm not sure what. I think waiting on kid pitch would make a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:40 am 

Andrew McCutchen
Senior Editor

A bunch of 12-year-old kids had their hearts broken this week. Jackie Robinson West, a team from Chicago’s South Side, won the U.S. title at the 2014 Little League World Series. They achieved their dream in dramatic fashion. I remember watching their pitcher give up the go-ahead homer against Nevada in the title game and he was so crushed that he physically doubled-over on the mound. His team fought back and won in an amazing game, and the joy on that kid’s face after the final out was something that made even me jealous.

During the celebration, the cameras cut to a gym on Chicago’s South Side where people were gathered to watch, and they were going crazy supporting these kids and their community. It felt so good to see that the game I love still matters in the inner-city.

Then on Wednesday, Jackie Robinson West was stripped of its title for using players who lived “outside the geographical area.” There’s been a lot of the debate about what happened here, but one thing is clear to me. The incident shined a light on a very complicated issue. Baseball used to be the sport where all you needed was a stick and a ball. It used to be a way out for poor kids. Now it’s a sport that increasingly freezes out kids whose parents don’t have the income to finance the travel baseball circuit.

I grew up in Fort Meade, Florida. Our town had literally one stoplight. It didn’t even have a McDonald’s until a few years ago. But we did have a baseball field and a football field. I spent most of my days in the dirt, having fun. From the time I first stepped up in front of a tee-ball stand, I was trying to waggle my bat just like Ken Griffey Jr. Honestly, I was kind of a natural. My grandad used to come out to the field with a big camcorder and tape my tee-ball games. I used to think him and my dad were lying about how good I was back then, but I stumbled upon the tapes a few years ago and I was crushing balls off the walls and running around the bases like crazy. I was good.

But the thing is, nobody outside of Fort Meade knew who I was, even when I was 12 years old, the same age as those kids playing in the Little League World Series. When you’re a kid from a low-income family who has talent, how do you get recognized? Now, you have to pay thousands of dollars for the chance to be noticed in showcase tournaments in big cities. My parents loved me, but they had to work hard to put food on the table, and there wasn’t much left over. They didn’t have the option of skipping a shift to take me to a tournament over the weekend. The hard choices started when I was very young. “Do you want that video game system for Christmas, or do you want a new baseball bat?”

A lot of talented kids my age probably picked the Playstation, and that was it. It was over for them. I always chose the new bat or glove. But all the scraping and saving in the world wasn’t going to be enough for my family to send me an hour north to Lakeland every weekend to play against the best competition. That’s the challenge for families today. It’s not about the $100 bat. It’s about the $100-a-night motel room and the $30 gas money and the $300 tournament fee. There’s a huge financing gap to get a child to that next level where they might be seen.

Thankfully, an AAU coach by the name of Jimmy Rutland noticed me during an All-Star game when I was 13-years-old and asked my father if I’d ever been on a travel team. At that point, I had barely left the county. My dad told him that it was just too expensive, and coach Rutland basically took me in as if I was another one of his sons. He helped pay for my jerseys and living expenses. My parents took care of what they could, which was basically just money for food.

But this wasn’t a Disney movie ending. It wasn’t like Jimmy noticed me and I went straight to the top. That was just the first step. There were so many things that had to happen for me to get to where I got. If you’re a poor kid with raw ability, it’s not enough. You need to be blessed with many mentors to step in and help you. Kim Cherry, Michael Scott — I could list so many names of people who took me in and treated me as if I was their own son. When people talk about the Jackie Robinson West team and blame the adults who took in kids from outside the boundaries that the Little League organization set, remember that those adults may be saviors to those kids. They’re the ones buying them shoes when they need it or an extra protein drink after the game.

Sometimes I wasn’t even sure how the scouts or AAU coaches found me. It seemed like a miracle. I kept clawing my way up the ladder to better and better teams, kind of like a mercenary. I remember I was playing for the Lakeland Road Runners and we got whooped by the Orlando Red Raiders. They were like professionals to us. After the game, their coach came up to me and asked if I’d want to play on his team. The Red Raiders were big, man. It felt like I had just made the New York Yankees. I remember looking at my buddies on the Road Runners and shrugging, like, “Well, see ya!”

And you know what’s crazy? Even despite all the breaks I got with baseball, I probably wouldn’t be a Major League player right now if I didn’t tear my ACL when I was 15. I thought I was going to play college football. Why? Economics. If I could’ve been a wide receiver for a D-I school, I would have chosen that path because of the promise of a full scholarship. The University of Florida offered me a baseball scholarship, but it only covered 70 percent of the tuition. My family simply couldn’t afford the other 30 percent. The fact is, no matter how good you are, you’re not getting a full ride in baseball.

Many low-income kids don’t have the option of going to college to develop their game and get an education. They have to roll the dice by entering the MLB draft. I had the good fortune to be drafted by the Pirates in the first round, but I spent four years in the glamorous towns of Williamsport, Hickory, Altoona and Indianapolis. A lot of talented kids look at that lifestyle and compare it to the bright lights of Florida State or Ohio State, and they think, “Okay, I could get a free college education and be on ESPN, or I could spend five years eating cereal for dinner and trying to hit a 90-mile-per-hour fastball in Altoona.”

I thought I was going to play college football. Why? Economics.

People talk about the big, guaranteed money in baseball, and I certainly feel blessed that I am where I am now. But people don’t look at it through the eyes of a 17-year-old kid. You’re looking at maybe five years of minor league ball, and then you could be tendered, non-tendered, they can re-sign you for a year. You might be making anywhere from 10 to 50 grand in the minors. If you’re lucky enough to get a bonus, you can live well off that money if you spread it out. But just remember, there’s up to 40 rounds in the draft. Most guys are struggling.

After three years in the majors, you finally get to arbitration. Basically, by the sixth year in the big leagues, you get your first big contract — if you make it that far. Imagine explaining this confusing process to a 17-year-old kid whose family is just trying to put food on the table. “So you wanna play baseball now?”

There is only one other African American player, Josh Harrison, on the Pittsburgh Pirates with me. People have asked me why I think the numbers are declining overall. There’s a lot of talk about kids thinking that baseball is slow and boring, or that they’d rather sit at home and play video games. Maybe there’s some truth to that, but to me, there is a deeper problem going on that is affecting low-income kids of all races.

Fixing that problem is complicated, but when I was a kid, I looked at baseball players growing up in Latin America with a lot of envy. If you’re a talented kid in the Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico, a team can come along and say, “We’re going to sign you for $50,000 and take you into our organization and develop you, feed you, take care of your travel.” To me, as a 14-year-old kid whose family was struggling, that would have meant everything to me. I would have taken that deal in a second.

That kind of system would make the game a lot more attractive to kids from low-income families. For all the backlash around the Jackie Robinson West team “cheating,” most people are ignoring the truth of how these 12-year-old kids make it out of their towns and onto a national stage. Individuals step in and fill that financial gap. Hopefully those people are trustworthy and have their hearts in the right place. I was fortunate in that respect. Other kids might not be. When you talk to players around Major League Baseball, almost every single one of them has a story about a person who stepped in and took care of their expenses. You hear it all the time: “If it wasn’t for this guy, I wouldn’t be in the league.”

The kids from Jackie Robinson West had a really bad day yesterday. But you know what? Somebody probably watched their Little League World Series run and saw one of them make a smart play in the field or hit a perfect line drive up the gap. That kid might not have been the best player on the team. But somebody saw something in him, and they’re going to reach out and say, “Hey, I want you on my team.” They’re going to become like a second father or mother to that kid. Hopefully that kid has the courage to travel away from his family and the patience to become a great baseball player.

But all over the country, there are thousands of kids who are playing in a cornfield in Nebraska or a swampy field in Central Florida and they feel like nobody is watching. We need to find a better (and most definitely cheaper) way to give those kids a chance at a way out.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I'm a guy who grew up with some of the greatest Black ballplayers. MLB really misses the African-American athlete. Guys like Hank Aaron,Billy Williams,Bob Gibson,Ferguson Jenkins,Lou Brock,etc. are sorely missed and baseball needs to do something about it. The chances are a lot better for any kind of talent to earn a baseball check (minor league level) than an NBA or semi-pro Basketball check.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:00 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
I'm a guy who grew up with some of the greatest Black ballplayers. MLB really misses the African-American athlete. Guys like Hank Aaron,Billy Williams,Bob Gibson,Ferguson Jenkins,Lou Brock,etc. are sorely missed and baseball needs to do something about it. The chances are a lot better for any kind of talent to earn a baseball check (minor league level) than an NBA or semi-pro Basketball check.

The 16 year old working at McDonalds makes more than a minor league baseball player.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

The 16 year old working at McDonalds makes more than a minor league baseball player.

Yeah,but does the McDonald's guy have hot chicks in the stand scouting possible future millionaires?....Huh...Do They??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Many guys I follow on twitter from vegas, talking about their LL championship team. lol

At least the 30/30 or "WHERE ARE THEY NOW" will be great in 10-15 years!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:
This is getting beyond ridiculous . From Sneed.

The ring is the thing!

Sneed has learned Mayor Rahm Emanuel plans to give a Little League championship ring to each member of the beleaguered Jackie Robinson West All Stars baseball team.

The mayor, who earlier this week appealed to the president of the Little League International to reverse his decision to strip the kids of their hard-earned championship title, plans to present the rings to the team at a ceremony at next month’s City Council hearing.

“Mayor Emanuel believes it is unfair for the organization to have punished the children who did nothing wrong,” said a mayoral source.

“These young men demonstrated tremendous character both on and off the field, and Chicago will honor them as the champions they are,” Emanuel said.

“​The memories they created will last a lifetime, and so will the championship rings they have earned.”

Shortly after Jackie Robinson West won the Little League World Series title last summer, Emanuel sought private donors to fund championship rings for the young men. The rings, which take months to manufacture, were already slated to arrive in Chicago in the coming weeks.

Each ring bears the player’s name, their jersey number and the number 42, in tribute to Jackie Robinson — league’s namesake.

Lester Lampert Jewelers was commissioned to produce the rings.

The Jackie Robinson West All Stars were the biggest story in the country last summer when their dominant play in the Little League World Series brought them the national title.

It all slipped away Wednesday when Little League International stripped the team of their championship after it came to light that the adults putting the team together had fudged the boundaries of Jackie Robinson West’s territory to include players from other leagues.

Emanuel said Wednesday he called Little League International President and CEO Stephen Keener to ask the championship be reinstated. The White House weighed in, saying the “dirty dealing” of the adults shouldn’t change the way we think of the kids.

Rev. Jesse Jackson and Fr. Michael Pfleger hosted a news conference with some JRW parents a few hours after the decision, saying the punishment was too harsh and had racial overtones. Jackson’s Rainbow Push Coalition will host a Jackie Robinson West Championship Reaffirmation Rally at 10 a.m. Saturday.

I am fine with Rahm giving them rings if he is paying for them. However, if he is using tax dollars for such a ridiculous gesture, it's not acceptable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:17 pm 

one guy on Kaplan's TV show had the same opinion I did. Any punishment should be made going forward! The LL didn't catch the error until February,too bad! Nothing should be taken away from those kids.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
jimmypasta wrote:
one guy on Kaplan's TV show had the same opinion I did. Any punishment should be made going forward! The LL didn't catch the error until February,too bad! Nothing should be taken away from those kids.

Agreed. I was surprised that LL opened this can of worms.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Scorehead wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

It got too obvious with all of the celebrations and such for the kids who were well outside the boundaries?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
SomeGuy wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

It got too obvious with all of the celebrations and such for the kids who were well outside the boundaries?

My take on it is this- and we really don't know all the details- if they have kids that orginally played in the league and then moved or who come from fucked up living environments and moved around but who have played in the house league (especially for several seasons), they may have broken the letter of the rules but certainly not the spirit. And the punishment of stripping the title in that case far outweighs the "crime".

If it comes to light that they recruited kids who didn't play in the house league just to kick ass on the Williamsport team, I'll feel differently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Dead on JORR.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I'm happy Rham is doing this. I want them honored as much as possible to piss off the little shits like Berstein.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Aside from this do LL players really get championship rings? Lord. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:14 pm 

Bump for Chris Janes arrest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:17 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
spanky wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
“We even went through public records, voter registration, vehicle registration,” James said. “We pulled up everything to the point we were satisfied making the accusation.”

-Chris Janes

GET A FUCKING LIFE

The other side of the story is that they approached LL about this multiple times before and were dismissed.
I guess they didn't want to be "dismissed" - and keep in mind they were right in the end. There is that.

This guy doesn't have anything better to do?

Job? Kids? Maybe practice baseball so your team doesnt lose 54-2?

The EP kids still got killed and embarrassed. This doesnt help them. It just hurts the JRW kids and gives the Vegas kids a trophy for losing.

He found another activity. Stalking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
DNAinfo has it, must be big.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

My take on it is this- and we really don't know all the details- if they have kids that orginally played in the league and then moved or who come from fucked up living environments and moved around but who have played in the house league (especially for several seasons), they may have broken the letter of the rules but certainly not the spirit. And the punishment of stripping the title in that case far outweighs the "crime".

If it comes to light that they recruited kids who didn't play in the house league just to kick ass on the Williamsport team, I'll feel differently.

Jackie Robinson West files suit against Little League over vacated championship

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 37216.html

According to the report, JRW is not denying having ineliglble players on the roster. Instead, it is questioning the methods and procedures of Little League International, the timeline of the events and the basis for the decision itself.

Interesting new take on this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
They just need to stop.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Nas wrote:
They just need to stop.

Not so sure.

What they are appearing to allege is that others have done the same thing for years and LLI has turned a blind eye to the behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Nas wrote:
They just need to stop.

Oh, but it's all about the kids. Why do you hate kids?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:13 pm 

How are they doing in their new organization where all the teams are allowed to grab kids from all over?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
conns7901 wrote:
How are they doing in their new organization where all the teams are allowed to grab kids from all over?

Sandusky started a baseball league?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:26 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Sandusky started a baseball league?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think you may have missed the preposition 'from' ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:08 pm 

So the parents are now saying everyone knew they were cheating but wer eusing them to make money. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ESPN, Stephen A. Smith and Little League International sued by parents of Jackie Robinson West

Posted by Kevin McGuire on Feb 11, 2016 19:57

The 2014 Little League World Series run by Jackie Robinson West from Chicago exhibited both the best and worst of what the Little League World Series has become. The South Siders slugged their way to the United States title but had their championship stripped in 2015 for violations involving the use of ineligible players. In a lawsuit filed Thursday by the parents of that team and a former coach, it is suggested Little League International, ESPN, and officials from the local league of were profiting off the disgraces team, suggesting it knew the team was using ineligible players. Among those mentioned by name in the lawsuit is none other than Stephen A. Smith.

There are multiple layers to the lawsuit to unravel. The Little League International part of the equation targets the league to allow Jackie Robinson West to use ineligible players purely for the hope of generating ratings on TV.

“Little League was aware of the potential residency issues of the children of the JRW Parents, but chose to ignore and/or deliberately conceal these facts in order to garner higher ratings, publicity, and money for Defendant Little League,” the complaint states.

Darold Butler, a former coach for the team, claimed to have submitted a number of issues regarding the eligibility of his players for review, but believes his complaints were ignored or concealed as the team continued through the Little League World Series tournament. Those concerns were not addressed or caught until after the United State title had been clinched. The league continued to send the Chicago kids on a victory tour of sorts while an investigation was underway without the parents knowing anything was potentially wrong (on a side note, at that point it would have been an even bigger disgrace to pull the kids’ tour of the White House and the MLB World Series because of the alleged incompetence of the adults in charge, but we’ll carry on).

ESPN gets drug into the lawsuit as the TV supporter of the Little League World Series. Not only did ESPN capitalize on the success of the Chicago team, but the fallout amid the controversy struck a few nerves as well. the lawsuit argues ESPN defamed Butler and others by suggesting he and others in charge took it upon themselves to assemble an ineligible team by any means necessary. Stephen A. Smith comes under fire for his comments on air saying Butler threw his players under the bus.

Smith is certainly no stranger to controversy surrounding anything he has said while on air during First Take, but it is not often he has been taken to task to this level. While we’re not well versed in the specific legal issues in play here, one of ESPN’s most divisive and loud personalities being sued for comments made on a program that is regularly under siege from critics and social media is not going to help the network’s case defending First Take.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Wow. Fuck them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:08 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Wow. Fuck them.

We did nothing wrong.
We don't believe we did anything wrong.
We didn't know we did anything wrong.
We didn't do anything other teams don't do.
We were doing wrong and everyone knew it.

Sprinkle in some bullshit 'racism' allegations, and ... yeah, fuck them indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:28 pm 

Would it be okay if they weren't cheating and ESPN was still using children for profits?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:46 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Would it be okay if they weren't cheating and ESPN was still using children for profits?

Wait, wait, wait ... are you saying ESPN hired Jerry Sandusky?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
what are they suing Stephen A for ? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next