It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rahm "37 Cents" Emanuel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
In These Times wrote:
South Side Man Who Posed Stone-faced with Mayor on Instagram: Rahm Emanuel is a Horrible Tipper
The health food store employee and a coworker say Mayor Emanuel is a notoriously bad tipper, and once left a 37-cent tip on a seven-dollar drink.

BY MICAH UETRICHT

Emanuel is “real cheap,” GQ says.
A photo of Rahm Emanuel grinning widely while an African-American man stood next to him stone-faced, with the caption “The Mayor of Chicago Rahm Emanuel came by my job, still can't stand this muthafucka tho,” drew significant attention on social media Wednesday.

The man, who was reached by In These Times via phone and asked to be identified only as “GQ,” works at a health food store on Chicago’s South Side. He said that the mayor had come in to the store several times in recent years, and when Emanuel stopped by two months ago, someone in the store suggested that GQ and the mayor pose for a picture. While GQ agreed, he says he wasn’t happy about it.

“He was smilin’ and cheesin’ and stuff,” GQ says. “I’m like, dude, come on: you’re only doing that because you’re trying to get elected. You’re trying to make it look like you’re a man of the people. But you’re not.”

GQ, who is in his 40s and lives in the city’s Back of the Yards neighborhood, repeats the charge that has dogged Emanuel throughout his reelection campaign: that he is most concerned with the city’s white, wealthy residents.

“He only caters to people on the North Side, like the Gold Coast,” he says, referring to one of the city's wealthiest and whitest neighborhoods. “The only time I see him on the South Side is when it comes time for elections.” GQ says violence in his neighborhood and in black neighborhoods throughout the city, along with the mayor’s education policies, turned him against Emanuel.

“So many people have been killed. … 50 schools got closed—and most of them on the South Side and West Side”—overwhelmingly black areas of the city. “But you cater to the people in Gold Coast. Why don’t you [cater to] the South Side?”

After the picture was tweeted a number of times throughout the day (including this author), it was picked up by journalists including Bloomberg Politics's Dave Weigel and MSNBC host (and former In These Times senior editor) Chris Hayes, who called it “the funniest thing I've seen all day.” This characterization, from journalist and In These Times contributor Michael Arria, was typical:

When told that his photo had been tweeted many times, often along with the hashtag #RahmLove, from a recent ad campaign (meant in earnest rather than to mock the mayor) started by the hospitality workers union UNITE HERE Local 1, GQ laughs.

“ ‘Rahm Love,’ ” he says. “That’s a bunch of BS.”

The photo is one of several that have circulated on social media of people of color standing near the mayor but looking unhappy to engage him. One photo shows Emanuel extending his hand to an African-American woman at a train stop, where Rahm has done much of his reelection campaigning throughout the city; the woman appears to refuse to shake his hand. Another has been interpreted by some on social media as showing Mayor Emanuel recoiling from a young African-American child, though it is impossible to know exactly what the mayor was reacting to.

GQ says that while he is no fan of the mayor, he doesn’t know a great deal about his challenger, Jesus “Chuy” Garcia, and doesn’t admire him greatly.

“The only politician I’ve got mad respect for is Elizabeth Warren,” he says. “I love her.”

While GQ is opposed to the mayor’s policies, he says he’s also opposed to Emanuel’s etiquette as a customer.

“He’s real cheap,” GQ says. The mayor is holding a drink in the Instagram photo. “My friend who made the drink—[Emanuel] only tipped him like a quarter or 50 cents” on a drink he says cost $7. Reached via phone Wednesday night, GQ’s coworker confirmed this report, saying he has served the mayor multiple times and remembers one incident in which the mayor tipped him “37 cents” on the seven-dollar drink (though he said the mayor's security guards have left him sizable tips in the past).

Last edited by Tall Midget on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:41 am 

Fuck bad tippers. Fuck em in the ear.....fuck em in the other ear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
IF that is true,Rahm should be ashamed of himself!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
rogers park bryan wrote:
Fuck bad tippers. Fuck em in the ear.....fuck em in the other ear

Vincent Antonelli wrote:
It's not tipping I believe in. It's overtipping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
:lol: @ Scottie

Last edited by T-Bone on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
jimmypasta wrote:
IF that is true,Rahm should be ashamed of himself!

Is that an old pic of Kim Jong-Il in drag?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
My guy GQ!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i gotta be real here and stick up for my guy 37 cents... it looks like he's at some cafe in a supermarket or something, whether it's a starbucks or the equivalent of a starbucks in a supermarket, and i tell you what i dont care if you have a giant tip jar with pictures of dying dogs and abused elderly and make a wish children; i'm not leaving another $1-2 at starbucks when i'm already spending ~$3 on coffee or $4-5 on a frappuchino.

it's one thing if i'm at a restaurant or a bar, and while the latter doesn't require as much effort as a waiter/waitress, i know how to work with bartenders and get on their good side. that pays off over time. but if i'm at something with a setup akin to fast food and they've got a big flagrant tip jar, the most they're gonna get is my change off of whatever i spend if it's under 50 cents. you're not going to guilt trip me into $4-5 coffee or $6-7 frappuchinos.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:12 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Patrick Kane wrote:
He's got my vote!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:14 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
i gotta be real here and stick up for my guy 37 cents... it looks like he's at some cafe in a supermarket or something, whether it's a starbucks or the equivalent of a starbucks in a supermarket, and i tell you what i dont care if you have a giant tip jar with pictures of dying dogs and abused elderly and make a wish children; i'm not leaving another $1-2 at starbucks when i'm already spending ~$3 on coffee or $4-5 on a frappuchino.

it's one thing if i'm at a restaurant or a bar, and while the latter doesn't require as much effort as a waiter/waitress, i know how to work with bartenders and get on their good side. that pays off over time. but if i'm at something with a setup akin to fast food and they've got a big flagrant tip jar, the most they're gonna get is my change off of whatever i spend if it's under 50 cents. you're not going to guilt trip me into $4-5 coffee or $6-7 frappuchinos.

Also this....
(though he said the mayor's security guards have left him sizable tips in the past).