It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: greeting card prices
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Just stopped to buy a couple Mothers Day cards for the wife, from me and rogue Jr. Fucking price was $15.12 for 2 cards. Wtf Hallmark?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post subject: Re: greeting card prices
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Come on now. Be a better consumer. Go to the Dollar store. 2 cards for $1.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Is Factory Card Outlet still around?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:24 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Darkside wrote:

Got bought by Party City. Card selection is now sadly shit, at least at the two stores nearest me.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:36 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i forget what 80s/ish sitcom it was, but there was one where a kid got a birthday card of sorts and simply tapped the top so the $$$/check fell out and he immediately threw out the card without looking at it. that's the embodiment of my feelings on the insincere feelings industry.

i used to just print out a piece of paper with a proper picture and something i wrote and folded it up into one. or if all else fails, what scorehead said works. dollar tree has your back!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:03 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Got bought by Party City. Card selection is now sadly shit, at least at the two stores nearest me.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
badrogue17 wrote:
Just stopped to buy a couple Mothers Day cards for the wife, from me and rogue Jr. Fucking price was $15.12 for 2 cards. Wtf Hallmark?

No shit. I bought three cards yesterday. My fault for not looking at the price first, because one was $8.99!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
sinicalypse wrote:
i forget what 80s/ish sitcom it was, but there was one where a kid got a birthday card of sorts and simply tapped the top so the $$$/check fell out and he immediately threw out the card without looking at it.

This reminds me of when my sister and I were little kids opening Christmas presents and when we would see a white box, we would immediately dismiss it by sighing and saying, "Clothes".

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:04 am 

i agree. NEVER give a kid clothes for xmas. maybe for birthday, thats whatever... but xmas? DO NOT DO IT. clothes are like food, you need them and you expect the people who chose to bring you into this world to provide them. they are not fun, you dont care what you look like because youre 8. stop buying me underwear and making me unwrap them in front of everyone so they all laugh mom. and no, that shirt doesnt fit. no i dont want to hold it up so you can see if it fits or if you need to return it. were not at the clothing store trying on clothes this is motherfuckin christmas and you should be giving me a chug of your alcohol bitch

buy something fun and unnecessary. thats what christmas is all about. the entire holiday is stupid and unnecessary.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:07 am 

oh, and cards... i totally agree, the prices have become outrageous. no reason they should be more than a dollar, yet all too often you see $5 ones and whatnot.

ive trained my family to like the e-cards i send them. those are free, and they dont have to store them in shoeboxes. they can store them in dropbox. hassle free, cost free, everyone is happy.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
This is one of those things my friends would tell me is a benefit of being married, that his wife takes care of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I know someone that always looks at the price on the back of the cards and quietly judges you for it.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
i forget what 80s/ish sitcom it was, but there was one where a kid got a birthday card of sorts and simply tapped the top so the $$$/check fell out and he immediately threw out the card without looking at it.

This reminds me of when my sister and I were little kids opening Christmas presents and when we would see a white box, we would immediately dismiss it by sighing and saying, "Clothes".

Years ago, my cousin's daughter got 11 straight gifts of clothes from relatives at her 3-year-old birthday party. She collapsed into a sobbing heap when she opened the 11th box. "Mommy, I wanted a toy..." It was heartbreaking in a first-world problems kind of way.

Since then, I've never bought a relative under 10 a birthday gift that was not a toy (or a book for kids where I know they love books) or two and maybe a gift card. Borders used to be great for that, they had all sorts of kids shit on sale marked down from $15 to $5, buy one of those and a $25 gift card, and good to go.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
KDdidit wrote:
I know someone that always looks at the price on the back of the cards and quietly judges you for it.

But you chose not to reveal that person for fear they might read your post? And judge you? LOLOLOLOL

if I knew someone did that, I would go out of my way to find the cheapest card I could find...

HAPPY NEW YEARS 1997.... (on Sale for .05)....would use it for a Birthday card!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:55 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

No shit. I bought three cards yesterday. My fault for not looking at the price first, because one was $8.99!

I just bought an average-ish card and didn't bother to look at the cost. Almost $7 later the stunned then pissed looks on my face led the cashier to laughter.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Regular Reader wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I just bought an average-ish card and didn't bother to look at the cost. Almost $7 later the stunned then pissed looks on my face led the cashier to laughter.
:lol: my exclamation of HOW MUCH when the clerk rang me up prompted him to suggest that maybe I'd like to pick out 2 different cards :lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:05 am 

Go to 123 Greeting Cards and send an ecard, they are free. Cards for all occasions and great variety. Most of them come with a video/audio clip.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I am still looking for a store-bought card that sounds like I could have written it; where the recipient isn't necessarily the greatest mom/dad/wife/whatever in the history of mankind, always providing all these things I never needed or asked for, and having a relationship with me unlike any other. Guess personal notes prove the best again.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:30 pm 

Colored paper, crayons, and markers....personal touch.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I picked up a card for my fiancée early yesterday morning at the grocery store. Maybe I was in too much of a hurry or
still a little groggy but I self checked my groceries and forgot the card and grocery list in the cart. Didn't realize it until
I got home. Since I never scanned and bought it I didn't care to go back. I got my comeuppance later when I had to
buy my nephew a birthday card and it rang up over $6. I think maybe I will just start enclosing gift cards wrapped in hand
written notes moving forward.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:02 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I picked up a card for my fiancée early yesterday morning at the grocery store. Maybe I was in too much of a hurry or
still a little groggy but I self checked my groceries and forgot the card and grocery list in the cart. Didn't realize it until
I got home. Since I never scanned and bought it I didn't care to go back. I got my comeuppance later when I had to
buy my nephew a birthday card and it rang up over $6. I think maybe I will just start enclosing gift cards wrapped in hand

Got a little Frank Costanza in ya I see, Binny's Clerk will soon be after your ass.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Got a little Frank Costanza in ya I see, Binny's Clerk will soon be after your ass.

I actually left the card in the cart at the store. Completely forgot it.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:28 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I actually left the card in the cart at the store. Completely forgot it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:41 am 

I buy the Mahogany series from Hallmark for the family for some laughs.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:34 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

Biggest ripoff going. Go to the dollar store. They're a fucking dollar there. The name-brand cards are ass-rape.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Best move I ever made was simply tell all of my loved ones that I will never ever buy a greeting card. I will do just about anything else for you but no card.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Thankfully my wife never wants them because she just feels bad when she eventually throws them away.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
For the record I don't do cards. I tell people its a colossal waste of natural resources. Then I drink a small bottle of water and throw the plastic bottle into the street to show my contempt for nature.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
All the way at the back of the row of cards there are usually some for 99 cents. They are fine. Also the car wash has inexpensive cards.

And as previously mentioned, one of the benefits of marriage is the wife usually handles that. But I do have to pick up about 4 a year -- all for her: Valentines Day, her birthday, Mother's Day, and a Christmas card.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:40 am 

pizza_Place: Insufferable Barnaby's
Cost of the card my idiotic brother gave my mom, with IN sales tax: $6.41. And she can't read english!!

The food banks and homeless shelters would get a real boost from all of that wasted card cash spent.

lipidquadcab wrote:
Your fucking hard on for railing against this Kentucky team is oddly obsessive, of that I don't doubt.