It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:01 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I hope I live to see the day when someone gives a shit about stopping this madness.

12 Killed, 43 Wounded In Memorial Day Weekend Shootings

CHICAGO (STMW) — Twelve people were killed and at least 43 — including a 4-year-old girl — were wounded in shootings across Chicago this Memorial Day weekend, police said.

The 4-year-old, identified by her family as Jacele Johnson, was shot about 8 p.m. Friday in the West Englewood neighborhood. She and her 17-year-old cousin Romare Wilson were inside an SUV in the 7000 block of South Justine when another vehicle pulled up and someone inside opened fire, according to their family and Chicago Police.

The girl was shot in the head and taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in critical condition, authorities said. She has since been upgraded to fair condition, a hospital spokeswoman said Monday morning.

The teen was shot in the chest and grazed by a bullet in the neck. He was in serious condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. A 15-year-old girl standing on a sidewalk nearby was shot in the forehead and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where her condition stabilized, police said.

The weekend’s most recent fatal shooting happened Monday night in the Austin neighborhood on the West Side, police said. About 7:50 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot in the back and the leg in the 4900 block of West Erie, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died. The Cook County medical examiner’s office could not confirm the death Monday night.

About 5:25 p.m., a 19-year-old man was shot in the back in the 0-100 block of East 36th Place, less than two blocks south of Chicago Police headquarters in the Bronzeville neighborhood. The man was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he died, police said. The medical examiner’s office could not confirm the death Monday night.

A 29-year-old man died after he was shot Monday afternoon in the Irving Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side, police said. He was shot about 2:30 p.m. in the 4100 block of North Hamlin. He was sitting passenger in a vehicle when another vehicle pulled up, and someone inside got out and fired shots, police said.

The man was shot multiple times in the upper torso and taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he later died, police said. The medical examiner’s office could not confirm the death Monday night.

Two teen boys were shot — one fatally — in the Bronzeville neighborhood on the South Side on Sunday night.

The boys, 14 and 15, were outside in the 4400 block of South Cottage Grove about 8:15 p.m. when someone fired shots from a light-colored sedan, police said. Emergency crews found the older boy unresponsive in an alley with a gunshot wound in his back.

Raheem Dameron, 15, of the 5600 block of South Justine, was pronounced dead at the scene, the medical examiner’s office said. The younger boy was shot in the foot and taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where his condition stabilized. Police said the 15-year-old had documented gang ties.

On Sunday afternoon, a 20-year-old man was fatally shot in the Humboldt Park neighborhood on the West Side. He was driving in the 3300 block of West Division about 4 p.m. when a dark-colored SUV pulled up and someone inside fired shots, police said. He was shot in the chest and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died, police said.

Less than an hour earlier, a man was killed in a drive-by shooting in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the West Side.

About 3:20 p.m., LaSean Barnes, 38, was in the 3200 block of West Maypole when someone fired shots from a passing beige conversion van, authorities said. The van then drove off east on Maypole.

Barnes, of the 3000 block of West Polk, was shot in the right side of his abdomen and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 5:25 p.m., the medical examiner’s office said.

Early Sunday morning, a woman died in a shooting which injured two others at a party in West Englewood. About 12:45 a.m., four people were denied entry to a party in the 6100 block of South Honore, police said. The four males then surrounded the party and opened fire, striking three people outside, including Deja Atwood, 29, authorities said. She was shot in the chest and leg and taken to Holy Cross Hospital, where she died.

A 39-year-old man shot in the chest was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition, and a 25-year-old man shot in the arm was taken to Holy Cross, where his condition stabilized, police said.

Minutes earlier, one man was killed and another wounded in a shooting in South Shore. They were standing on the sidewalk in the 7900 block of South East End Avenue at 12:27 a.m. when a gunman fired shots, police said. One of them, age 32, was shot in the neck and taken to Jackson Park Hospital and Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, police said. Another man, whose age was not available, was shot in the buttocks and went to Jackson Park Hospital, where his condition stabilized.

About 11:45 p.m. Saturday, a man was found shot to death in an alley in the Albany Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side. Daniel Rivera, 27, was found unresponsive with a gunshot wound to his face in an alley in the 4700 block of North Albany, authorities said.

Rivera, who lived in the 7200 block of North Damen, was pronounced dead at the scene, the medical examiner’s office said.

Earlier Saturday afternoon, a 24-year-old man was found fatally shot in the West Side Austin neighborhood. Charlie R. Weathers had a gunshot wound to the head when officers found him about 12:45 p.m. in the 0-100 block of North Laramie, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.

Weathers, of the 5000 block of West West End Avenue, was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 2:01 p.m., authorities said.

Early Saturday morning, a 20-year-old man was found shot to death in University Village, police said.

Officers responding to the 1000 block of West 14th Place about 2:10 a.m. found the man unresponsive with multiple gunshot wounds, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

The holiday weekend’s first fatal shooting happened about 1:45 a.m. Saturday in Wicker Park. Carlos F. Marino, 34, was sitting on the front porch of a home with two other people in the 1700 block of West Pierce when someone walked up and opened fire, authorities said.

Marino, who lived in the same block as the shooting, was struck in the chest and shoulder and taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 2:34 a.m., authorities said.

The most recent nonfatal shooting left a woman with a graze wound to her leg following a domestic dispute with her boyfriend early Tuesday in the Austin neighborhood.

The 47-year-old woman was shot about 2 a.m. by her boyfriend in the 4800 block of West Madison, police said.

She was treated and released at the scene and no one is in custody.

At least 35 others have been shot since Friday night.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2015. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:06 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Good old Chicago; tourists come to see the skyscrapers, Wrigley Field, and the shootings

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:
Good old Chicago; tourists come to see the skyscrapers, Wrigley Field, and the shootings

Don't give Rahm any ideas!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Love more info on why this is Rahm and the CPD's fault? One of those shootings was 2 blocks from the police station?

Do you literally want a cop on every corner ? Guess what....its not possible.

You are aware Chicago has the 4th hghest # of cops per 10K people in the nation, behind Wash, Newark and Baltimore....and those numbers are skewed as a larger number are in the areas of the shootings.

Chicago has the 2nd most police in the country, behind NYC. We even have more than LA.

Not trying to say they do a perfect job, improvements can always be made.....but how about the people that live in the areas of the shootings?

Please tell us what more you want the City of Chicago to do to stop this?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:53 am 

bigfan wrote:
Love more info on why this is Rahm and the CPD's fault? One of those shootings was 2 blocks from the police station?

You are aware Chicago has the 4th hghest # of cops per 10K people in the nation, behind Wash, Newark and Baltimore....and those numbers are skewed as a larger number are in the areas of the shootings.

Chicago has the 2nd most police in the country, behind NYC. We even have more than LA.

Not trying to say they do a perfect job, improvements can always be made.....but how about the people that live in the areas of the shootings?

Same problem in Milwaukee, it was crazy this weekend and gun murders are way up this year, sad that people don't care about another persons life.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
bigfan wrote:

There are a lot of cops at Homan Square.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Baltimore just had themselves a wonderful Memorial Day weekend body count. No cops involved , black or white so I guess it's cool.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
bigfan wrote:

Hard to shoot someone if you don't have a gun. But wait, I'm told that we must not ban guns because guns don't kill people, people do. :salut: I'm so confused. [not really]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
bigfan wrote:

No chance he posts again in this thread.

He does want a cop on every corner, but he doesn't want his tax money to pay for it.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I fail to see how this is the mayor's fault.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Cicero Dave wrote:

Mayor gets some blame, they always have and always will, but it is a long term problem of education, activities, jobs, etc.

I think the city has offered 15,000 jobs for teens this summer. Part of that deal should be FREE Public transportation for those who get those jobs and free lunch, as i assume the Jobs dont pay much. I am sure many kids dont understand , them having a job isnt totally about the money, but just suggestions that make the jobs more alluring.

Actually think some teenagers might do a better job of traffic coordinator, than the guys who work around Wrigley.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
bigfan wrote:
Cicero Dave wrote:

Mayor gets some blame, they always have and always will, but it is a long term problem of education, activities, jobs, etc.

I think the city has offered 15,000 jobs for teens this summer. Part of that deal should be FREE Public transportation for those who get those jobs and free lunch, as i assume the Jobs dont pay much. I am sure many kids dont understand , them having a job isnt totally about the money, but just suggestions that make the jobs more alluring.

Actually think some teenagers might do a better job of traffic coordinator, than the guys who work around Wrigley.

They could certainly do better than the loser Ricketts brother did on Undercover Boss.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Chus wrote:
bigfan wrote:

No chance he posts again in this thread.

He does want a cop on every corner, but he doesn't want his tax money to pay for it.

IIRC he's the same numbnuts that argued for the military on every corner, Constitutional considerations be damned.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Armed drones!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Scorehead wrote:
I hope I live to see the day when someone gives a shit about stopping this madness.

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
#BackToAfrica

but in seriousness SH, ain't freedom a bitch? i mean it's almost like you have to accept the dark side of human nature if you want to give people enough rope to hang themselves and/or enough bullets to shoot themselves. i mean are you for a total gun ban like we're in england or something? for some reason i can picture you wanting "them" to give up their guns ("they're probably illegal guns anwyays") while good upstanding law-abiding citizens like yourself keep your guns to protect yourself/your-family from "them"

but yeah, see, i'm convinced that the only way the powers that be will come up to curtail/curb stuff like this is something that affects all of us in a negative way. something that will make america more subservient and bitchmade if the shit hits the fan (say everyone wakes up one morning and nobody has any bank accounts anymore) and like, while stuff like this sucks and etc etc, i still think that crime has to be something you clean up after as opposed to going out of your way to prevent otherwise you're going to fuck everything up for the 99% law-abiding-citizens everywhere and the 1% of people who still wanna go fuck someone's world up are just going to find new and creative ways to do it.

a year or two ago i said that instead of a "war on guns" there should be a "war on bitchitude" cuz in my experiences i've found that you really gotta piss someone off to get shot. if people stopped acting the fool and compelling other people to shoot them then we'd have a lot less murders, because in the end guns/weapons are just tools to execute the will of the killers. why are people killers? can we have an honest discussion about this without clutching platitudes in the name of identity politics? i really dont know.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:21 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
It’s a racially charged photo the Chicago Police Department didn’t want the public to see: two white cops posing with rifles as they stand over a black man lying on his belly with deer antlers on his head.

But a Cook County judge has refused to keep secret the shocking image of former Officers Timothy McDermott and Jerome Finnigan kneeling with what the police department says is an unidentified African-American drug suspect.

Quote:
“What’s to say this individual wasn’t performing at a Christmas pageant in the district and was dressed as a reindeer and had taken the reindeer suit off? Again, I don’t mean to make preposterous arguments, but the charges in this case, they warrant that,” he said.

Herbert also compared the photo to an episode of “Seinfeld” in which Jerry is wrongly accused of picking his nose.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Quote:
“What’s to say this individual wasn’t performing at a Christmas pageant in the district and was dressed as a reindeer and had taken the reindeer suit off? Again, I don’t mean to make preposterous arguments, but the charges in this case, they warrant that,” he said.

Herbert also compared the photo to an episode of “Seinfeld” in which Jerry is wrongly accused of picking his nose.

To be fair, it was a scratch, and not a pick.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:07 pm 

People only pretend to care when people are murdered in Chicago when the cops do the shooting. Otherwise, nothing to see here.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
a genius wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Hard to shoot someone if you don't have a gun. But wait, I'm told that we must not ban guns because guns don't kill people, people do. :salut: I'm so confused. [not really]

Chicago has some pretty strict gun laws, especially concerning handguns.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Why isn't the blame on the culture that glorifies the "thug" Lifestyle? Where Tony Montana is a hero. Where the only way to settle a dispute is with gunfire. When the White power idiots are demonized on TV they always bring up the music and the culture they surround themselves with yet it is taboo to to that with these morons? Why? Oh yeah then you are being racially insensitive.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:24 am 

SomeGuy wrote:

Perhaps, but other places, like Indiana, don't. Which makes it easy for handguns to find their way into Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
a genius wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Perhaps, but other places, like Indiana, don't. Which makes it easy for handguns to find their way into Chicago.

Law-abiding citizens access to legal firearms isn't what's driving the shootings in Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:21 am 

Indeed, the reasons for the shootings are many and complex, one of which is any 17 year old who wants a gun can get one. Eliminate the gun supply and you will reduce the shootings.

For those that must exercise their supposedly 2nd amendment right to bear arms, let them bear those arms that were available at the time the Bill of Rights was passed.

I do realize that a gun debate generally goes no better than one on politics or religion.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
chaspoppcap wrote:
Why isn't the blame on the culture that glorifies the "thug" Lifestyle? Where Tony Montana is a hero. Where the only way to settle a dispute is with gunfire. When the White power idiots are demonized on TV they always bring up the music and the culture they surround themselves with yet it is taboo to to that with these morons? Why? Oh yeah then you are being racially insensitive.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Adding to the nomination, the city just agreed to pay an extra $70 million in higher interest costs to borrow $700 million, thanks to the recent downgrade of the city's credit rating to junk status. Chicago is now paying more for short-term borrowing than most cities pay for 30-yr bonds. (Thanks Richie!)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:30 am 

bigfan wrote:

Do your job! The dead fish always stinks from the head. Everything that happens in the city of Chicago is Rahms responsibility. As for CPD, their primary responsibility is to protect citizens & keep them safe. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that they are failing miserably in this area & they need dramatic improvement.
Biggie, based on the numbers that you sited, the city of Chicago is getting terrible production & ROI from their employees. Maybe they are spending too much time on trying to achieve their ticket writing goals?
You live in the city, are connected, & understand exactly why the CPD cops don't give a shit about saving lives in the hood. Too many cops are on the take with gang drug dealers & they stay away & turn the other cheek. Its very sad.