It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Does anyone remember a band called Home Video? They were a Radiohead ripoff. I heard a song in a camwhore video one time and I was hooked.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
shirtless driver wrote:
The fact that Arcade Fire, Kings Of Leon, and The Killers book the United Center when they play Chicago always baffles me.
I've only ever bought Neon Bible, and I once saw KOL by accident because they opened for U2.
Who buys these tickets?, because NO ONE is buying their albums (or really any albums by rock bands).

There's just so much mediocre to flat out terrible music across all genres for me to give much of a shit anymore.

I think it's because those bands sound anthemic so it pairs well with a large venue. Also there are seats and the show starts and ends more or less on time so you don't have to worry about having to pay the babysitter golden time rates.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 pm 

Any band with Wolf in their name may be added to this list. Wolf Parade was patient zero for this trend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 pm 

I'm not sure Wolf Parade and Wolf Eyes aren't the same band. Wolf Alice is a coin toss.

Anyway, can't take Funeral away from Arcade Fire, though with this bombaroo of a new album, maybe their arena days are finally over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Wolfmother.
:?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
There is another great album trapped somewhere in Win Butler and Regine Chassagne. I have my doubts we will ever hear it, but I know they can do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Who will be tomorrow's forgotten indie bands?

Hopefully Greta Van Fleet.

Listening to them makes me wonder why I'm not listening to a Led Zeplin album instead.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Ok then just pretend you are. There's really nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 am 

Maroon 5.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 am 

they were a buzz band in the mid-late 90's but Nada Surf became indie around the early 2000's. "let go" was a great album.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
SpiralStairs wrote:
Any band with Wolf in their name may be added to this list. Wolf Parade was patient zero for this trend.

Also applies to "deer".

Deerhoof
Deerhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
shirtless driver wrote:
The fact that Arcade Fire, Kings Of Leon, and The Killers book the United Center when they play Chicago always baffles me.
I've only ever bought Neon Bible, and I once saw KOL by accident because they opened for U2.
Who buys these tickets?, because NO ONE is buying their albums (or really any albums by rock bands).

There's just so much mediocre to flat out terrible music across all genres for me to give much of a shit anymore.

My same reaction to Zac Brown band playing Wrigley field....not that I have anything against Zac Brown band....they just don't do much for me.

I saw KOL at HOB in 2013. I only went because a friend had tickets and I had nothing better to do. I found hilarious that they handed out Klipsch labeled ear plugs only for it to be the QUIETEST concert EVER...even quieter than the Blackhawks at the UC.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
KDdidit wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Remember when Pitchfork tried to make The Rapture a Thing?

House of Jealous Lovers is still an awesome song. I mean in retrospect we can maybe credit the DFA for that, but it still rocks, or whatever sound Indie Rock Bands make.

I don't mind that song, but the review of Echoes was some peak Ryan Schreiber. Everyone rightly makes fun of his early reviews (Shit cat being the most notorious example), but this one came at a time Pitchfork was starting to become far more legitimate and he's still writing rubbish like this:
Quote:
Change has been boiling under ever since the decade clicked to double zeros. We've wanted more of something, and slowly we've realized what. What you're increasingly witnessing at every club, at every show, with every passing night, is the death of the horrible, awkward, uncomfortable tension of devoted music fans pretending not to enjoy music they have paid to see. Finally, we are shaking off the coma of the stillborn slacker 90s and now there is movement. Arms uncross, faces snap to attention, and clarity hits like religion. We have buried irony and pissed on its grave and for the first time we are realizing what rock music, rock shows are all about.

Fuck, was that a dream? Pavement playing the Showbox in Seattle to throngs of unwashed hippie revivalists acting as if they'd been imprisoned there by a cruel master of ceremonies, their peer and equal Stephen Malkmus? Eddie Vedder iconically scrawling PRO-CHOICE up his left arm like he bore the weight of the entire fucking world and was the only living person with this Great Important Answer to all the world's problems? That the Dismemberment Plan-- among the first to envision this future at which we've now arrived-- called us out to our faces with "Doing the Standing Still" and we actually still just stood there? It's almost impossible to believe in light of music like this, music that finally places as much emphasis on real, true, palpable fun as it does on art.

Speaking of dancy indie bands from that period, I definitely haven't listend to !!! for about 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I was rocking out to Ash on the way to work today.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:02 pm 

America wrote:
There is another great album trapped somewhere in Win Butler and Regine Chassagne. I have my doubts we will ever hear it, but I know they can do it.

I'm not so sure. I won't go as far as saying Funeral was lightning in a bottle, but Win seems to have become a real shithead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 pm 

Dan Bernstein lays awake at night, disgusted with himself because he knows he'll never be able to torture a metaphor like a writer for Pitchfork.