Post subject: What say you now, JORR?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:29 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJf5fw57Yo

This is pretty, pretty, pret-ay fucking awesome. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Yeah, it doesn't do anything for me. I don't question the musicianship of those guys. Even back in the punk rock days everyone knew Johnny Machine was a stud drummer. Every one one of those guys can really play. The music just doesn't do a damn thing for me. It's pretentious wankery. There are some "songs" there that I wouldn't object to having on in the background while I'm drinking a Scotch at 3:00 a.m. in some dark bar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:31 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Fair enough. Which John are you referring to? Herndon or McEntire....because both of those guys can play circles around me, and I think I'm pretty decent. So yeah, a lot of of it is kinda wanky, but I'm totally sold on this video and I ordered the TNT vinyl. I could listen to it all day.

So howza bout that new Vampire Weekend> :shock: :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlkTVMMkCP4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Herndon is Johnny Machine. Here's a song from a band he was in when he was maybe 17 or 18 years old.

https://soundcloud.com/pat-daly-1/empir ... ious-wax-1

To me, it's better than anything Tortoise has ever done. And as far as the difficulty of writing a real pop song, if you had a real singer, I think this is something that would play on AM radio in the 70s. But singers are the thing that are in short supply when you have an explosion of garage bands or "punk" bands. It's not hard to find guys who can play decent drums or pretty good guitar, but a real singer who can carry a pop melody? Not so many of those guys around. There's a good reason why Tony Burrows sang the lead on so many pop hits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:54 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
One of my favorite albums played live in its entirety? aw shit I'm beatin'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Herndon is Johnny Machine. Here's a song from a band he was in when he was maybe 17 or 18 years old.

To me, it's better than anything Tortoise has ever done. And as far as the difficulty of writing a real pop song, if you had a real singer, I think this is something that would play on AM radio in the 70s. But singers are the thing that are in short supply when you have an explosion of garage bands or "punk" bands. It's not hard to find guys who can play decent drums or pretty good guitar, but a real singer who can carry a pop melody? Not so many of those guys around. There's a good reason why Tony Burrows sang the lead on so many pop hits.

Dude, you're the guy hates Pegboy and Naked Raygun? Precious Wax Dripping were super, like 11th Dream Day-level overrated.

Good drummer, though. He was great in Poster Children.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:17 am 
Site Admin

Telegram Sam wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Dude, you're the guy hates Pegboy and Naked Raygun? Precious Wax Dripping were super, like 11th Dream Day-level overrated.

Good drummer, though. He was great in Poster Children.

Yeah, I'm not a big Precious Wax Drippings fan. That's a really good song though.

I had forgotten that he played in the Poster Children.