It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
A young me heard Long Way From Home and was sold as that first LP was my personal 1st or 2nd starting out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
GoldenJet wrote:
Similar to REO

Maybe similar to "Ridin' The Storm Out" REO. Not to that pussy Kevin Cronin shit though. That's more like Air Supply.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Gary Richrath underrated player.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:03 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
It currently is.

The 2000s, the last 20 years, have been good.

From 2000-2012, it was great in fact.

More good bands than in the 90s.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:07 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
The pseudo-Feder message board has a thread about 95.5. They talk about 95.5 a lot there, it seems. Anyway, some of the people who post there (there are no real personas there other than longtime radio gadfly Jeremy Andrews, who I'm surprised isn't here), are upset that the station doesn't play "real" rock. Someone started this thread with some ideas for them:

https://members.boardhost.com/chicagome ... 37340.html

and it's predictably awful, all that same 2003-time-capsule WIIL Rock shit. I generally don't hold programming consultants in high esteem but they're right to stick to AC/DC mixed with R.E.M. if this is "real" rock.

I agree, 95.5 is stuck in 2003. They play the first hit song by Seether, why not play their newer shit too? Same with 3 Days Grace, etc. They play Metallica's Black Album shit, and nothing else. Although was surprised to hear Bleeding Me the other day.

WIIL Rock does that. They play fucking everything. Best station in the country.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:20 pm 

speaking of Foo Fighters, they DO have a new record coming out.

This Thursday at 11 PM, Q101 will be playing the entire new record front to back. Actually it will be a live program with Dave Grohl himself I believe, and he will be directin' the show.

I heard the new single "Waiting for War" twice today on two different radio stations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:22 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
IGODDANUTHERCONFESSSSSSIONTAMAK--[pokes at preset button like I'm trying to silently get its attention during a lecture]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Ty !

https://youtu.be/zhIU0fF_YRQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
The Foo Fighters have been making the same album for the last 25 years. Dave Grohl must be a great brown noser because his band never seems to go through that period where everyone shit talks them. Even Pearl Jam got that treatment in the late 90's early 2000's.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

blackhawksfan wrote:
The Foo Fighters have been making the same album for the last 25 years. Dave Grohl must be a great brown noser because his band never seems to go through that period where everyone shit talks them. Even Pearl Jam got that treatment in the late 90's early 2000's.

You want to shit talk Foo Fighters and Grohl? Curious Hair and I will help you out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
blackhawksfan wrote:

They've never gone through that period because they're largely irrelevant. To provoke those strong emotions people have to either love you or hate you. The Foo Fighters have always just kind of been sitting there in the background.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

They've never gone through that period because they're largely irrelevant. To provoke those strong emotions people have to either love you or hate you. The Foo Fighters have always just kind of been sitting there in the background.

They're nowhere near as good as Foghat. They just happen to exist in a time when there is a dearth of mainstream guitar rock.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:57 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

The Foo Fighters have received twelve Grammy's from twenty-five nominations. They have won Best Rock Album four times, more than any other band. Most beloved bland band ever. How does Dave do it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:58 pm 

Remember that deeply terrible Chicago-themed song by the Foo Fighters that was just Grohl screaming "drop me in the Muddy Waters, I came from nothing!" over store-brand Steve Albini? (Though it's possible it was produced by the actual Steve Albini.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
MongoMuller wrote:

Yeah, Gary got the shaft.

Shoulda swallowed a little pride and cashed the checks.

Last edited by GoldenJet on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
blackhawksfan wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

The Foo Fighters have received twelve Grammy's from twenty-five nominations. They have won Best Rock Album four times, more than any other band. Most beloved bland band ever. How does Dave do it?

That goes to show you the irrelevance of the Grammy Awards. How often do you think the Grammy Award winner in any given year was the best album, most important album, most memorable album, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Remember that deeply terrible Chicago-themed song by the Foo Fighters that was just Grohl screaming "drop me in the Muddy Waters, I came from nothing!" over store-brand Steve Albini? (Though it's possible it was produced by the actual Steve Albini.)

I think it may have been, though Steve doesn't like to be called a "producer". I like Albini but I heard him talk about what a great drummer Grohl is.

I don't really view music that way. I mean, I can appreciate a guy's chops, I guess, but the song is the thing.

Anyway, it was odd to hear because I've also heard that he was a shitty timekeeper and Vig had to put him on a click.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:11 am 

Grohl even said that Cobain rejected his songs that eventually went on the first Foo Fighters album. And about the award shows being out of touch. Yes, Jethro Tull beating Metallica is a good example, but Jethro Tull didn't go on to win 12 more. I'm telling you, Dave Grohl is paying someone off behind the scenes. No band this vanilla gets the amount of positive press coverage they do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
IGODDANUTHERCONFESSSSSSIONTAMAK--[pokes at preset button like I'm trying to silently get its attention during a lecture]

This guy is so terrible he can even make Mick Jagger suck.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k78e5m/ ... azy-sleazy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
GoldenJet wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

Yeah, Gary got the shaft.

Shoulda swallowed a little pride and cashed the checks.

Very underrated. Gary couldn't stomach the pop shit. I saw his solo band when he left REO. Gary hung out and talked with everybody. Nice guy.

His son is a solid guy and a good guitarist in his own right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

IVEBEENWAIINONNAWARRRRRSINCEIWASYOUN--[pokes at preset button like I'm trying to silently get its attention during a lecture]

It's the same fucking song!