Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
I was far too young to appreciate any kind of music scene when Foreigner was in its heyday. Were they considered to be a serious band? I've always placed them in the REO Speedwagon/Cheap Trick (definitely the valedictorian of this group)/Styx bucket.

Journey is more in that group than Cheap Trick.

You're probably right, and Cheap Trick seems to enjoy more respect from rock critics than anyone else on the list. However, I think you can classify all of them as pop rock.

"Corporate rock" was the label I always associated with Kansas, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey, and Foreigner. Asia, too British, too nerdy (too fast, TOO good!). Good litmus test: did they, in some ship-of-Theseus form, go on to play state fairs?

Kansas, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey, and Foreigner.

And Smashing Pumpkins.

I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan, so don't interpret this post as a defense of them. But, why did you include them in that list?

I don't hate Smashing Pumpkins but I consider them the logical successors to those bands.

I probably wouldn't include Foreigner in that group though.

Post subject: Re: RRHOF 2024
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
That gets at one of my posts up the thread. In the late 70's/early 80's, was Foreigner considered to be a more artistic or serious band than Styx or Kansas? To someone joining the party late, they sound about the same.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:
That gets at one of my posts up the thread. In the late 70's/early 80's, was Foreigner considered to be a more artistic or serious band than Styx or Kansas? To someone joining the party late, they sound about the same.

Well, besides being British, I would say what sets Foreigner apart from that group is that they have a much more straight ahead sound. They're a lot less processed and more basic. I mean, if you have a couple guitars, a drum kit, and a microphone, Foreigner could walk in and play their set and people would recognize the songs and like them. I don't think those other bands could do that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I loved Dave Matthews Band in middle school/high school, then woke up one day and hated them, and now I like them again. The whole run of radio hits is a good summer day soundtrack. I love the song "Stay Wasting Too Much Time To Say."

There's something inherently hilarious about the thought of Curious Hair jamming out to....Dave Matthews.

Look in the mirror, my friend!

Let's see you go through high school band in the early 2000s and not listen to hours of Dave Matthews Band and Ben Folds Five.

Harvard Dan wrote:
Big Big Fan of Carter Beauford's drumming on the first few albums (great groove on #41, Sooner or Later is a great drum track, etc...), but I wouldn't go out of my way to go see a show.

The other Dave Matthews Band constituency at Badger was the group of kids who ran the school store: it was the trust fund kids who lived on the country clubs or Air Estates or other such isolated mansions but who also smoked a ton of weed and tended not to wash their hair. They all seemed to just work at or hang out in the school store all day and rarely go to class, and the rest of us would just pop in now and then during study halls or blowoff hours or whatever. But they always had jam bands playing, all day, every day. And one day, a few of us wandered over during jazz ensemble and there was a Dave Matthews live album playing and one of the guys was just awestruck by Carter Beauford's drumming and kept going "Carter Beauford on the drums, man. Carter Beauford. Man. Carter Beauford. Listen to that. Carter Beauford on the drums. Man. Carter Beauford." My idea of a funny joke at the moment was to say "so which one's Carter Beauford?" Anyway, it became a running gag among a few of us to just say the guy's name out of nowhere. Thanks for pulling this 21-year-old memory from the deepest reaches of my brain.