It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Christian Rock
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Curious Hair wrote:
Christian rock is a facsimile of rock. Remarkably rocklike.

What is this even supposed to mean?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
shirtless driver wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Seems like a self explanatory statement

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
https://youtu.be/cidQVcioumo

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

No, it doesn't.

I guess I just expected an essay from CH instead of some ambiguous statement that on it's surface doesn't mean a goddamn thing.
Maybe he could elaborate by giving some examples, or maybe I can just go fuck right off, but the only thing that is self-explanatory
is your disdain of religion and anything having to do with it, whether you've ever even listened to this so-called "Christian Rock" or not.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:45 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

No, it doesn't.

I guess I just expected an essay from CH instead of some ambiguous statement that on it's surface doesn't mean a goddamn thing.
Maybe he could elaborate by giving some examples, or maybe I can just go fuck right off, but the only thing that is self-explanatory
is your disdain of religion and anything having to do with it, whether you've ever even listened to this so-called "Christian Rock" or not.

I don’t have disdain for religion. I don’t need it in my music though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
God, what a chore. Listen to K-Love for like five minutes and it's readily apparent that there's a going through the motions of what modern rock music is supposed to sound like, but something intangible is missing, some edge, some soul, something. It's a musical husk. It's the co-opting of secular music conventions to make a religious message palatable. There's no ulterior motive to a David Bowie album.

Just goes to show I never know what shirtless driver will get indignant about with me. Disagreeing about Vampire Weekend, I expected, but not showing out for Stryper and Amy Grant.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:56 pm 

That statement is just as vacuous as Ch's was.
I guess I haven't read enough of your posts to know whether or not you actually have opinions about music in general, let alone "Christian music", and I'm not going out of my way to be a dick, but like Jim Rome says (paraphrased) "Saying something sucks is not a take".

We can make jokes about Stryper's bumblebee costumes or whatever, but it seems like the thread is just a pile-up of people who have no idea what they're shitting on. Like I said, I'd be happy to provide examples of great music made by religious and informed by their beliefs without beating anyone over the head with it. "CCM" is mostly a joke, and it's more of an industry thing than it is an artistic thing, at least the bands I think of when I think "Christian rock"....

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:02 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
God, what a chore. Listen to K-Love for like five minutes and it's readily apparent that there's a going through the motions of what modern rock music is supposed to sound like, but something intangible is missing, some edge, some soul, something. It's a musical husk. It's the co-opting of secular music conventions to make a religious message palatable. There's no ulterior motive to a David Bowie album.

Just goes to show I never know what shirtless driver will get indignant about with me. Disagreeing about Vampire Weekend, I expected, but not showing out for Stryper and Amy Grant.

Indignant.
:lol:
K-Love is corporate worship music with electric guitars written by 12 people that an algorithm probably came up with.
It's all hooks and praise choruses.
There are actual bands out there that have made real records with real producers with real critical acclaim that were on real labels with real songs that never mention the name Jesus Christ, right?
Amy Grant...........
ok.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
MXPX is legit.

Why is U2 on the list!!

The Christian entertainment genre should focus all financial efforts into bringing the power team back to glory.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:08 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
I guess I haven't read enough of your posts to know whether or not you actually have opinions about music in general, let alone "Christian music", and I'm not going out of my way to be a dick, but like Jim Rome says (paraphrased) "Saying something sucks is not a take".

We can make jokes about Stryper's bumblebee costumes or whatever, but it seems like the thread is just a pile-up of people who have no idea what they're shitting on. Like I said, I'd be happy to provide examples of great music made by religious and informed by their beliefs without beating anyone over the head with it. "CCM" is mostly a joke, and it's more of an industry thing than it is an artistic thing, at least the bands I think of when I think "Christian rock"....

This thread is full of people stating the obvious: there’s no good reason to listen to Christian rock. There’s plenty of better shit to listen to.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:10 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
MXPX is legit.

Why is U2 on the list!!

The Christian entertainment genre should focus all financial efforts into bringing the power team back to glory.

Because they used a Psalm for the lyrics for a song on War.
Kanye just named his kid Psalm, so I guess he counts as a "Christian rapper" now....

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

This thread is full of people stating the obvious: there’s no good reason to listen to Christian rock. There’s plenty of better shit to listen to.

OK, so your 'opinions about music in general' are: Christian Rock=No good reason to exist/Better Shit to Listen To=Better than Christian Rock. Glad you cleared that up...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:30 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

OK, so your 'opinions about music in general' are: Christian Rock=No good reason to exist/Better Shit to Listen To=Better than Christian Rock. Glad you cleared that up...

CH spelled it out pretty clearly.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:47 pm 

Not really.
What you've both said, in so many words, is...
I don't listen to Rap because Lil Pump, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Xan, Migos, (insert 'rap personality' of your choice here) when I could be listening to BDP, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang, ATCQ, or Kendrick Lamar.
Except neither of you have given any examples (other that CH's hilarious K-Love/Amy Grant blast) to make any specific point about Christian music other than to say it sucks because......it just does. It's always a good idea to paint with such broad brush strokes. Really adds value to the conversation.
So if you think CH spelled it out pretty clearly, I guess you can thank him for doing a little more typing than you did, because neither one of you spelled out anything. To me, you don't know anything about Christian music other than it's probably created by people you don't like as a general rule in the first place. Same probably goes for him. At least he's made some cogent posts about music in the past.

It's not my hill to die on, so carry on.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:51 pm 

It definitely seems like your hill to die on. I don’t dislike Christians. It’s amusing to me that you think that just because I don’t like any Christian Rock I’ve ever heard. I don’t care for Christian music and don’t have much use for it. I feel the same way about rap. There no need to get insecure about your like for it just because other folks don’t like it. I don’t get sensitive when people tell me the Dead and Phish sucks. I just know they’re wrong and it’s cool.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:03 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
There was a "Unblack Metal" band called Horde in the 90's that had a song called Invert the Inverted Cross. Always made me laugh.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:09 am 

I guess the thing that I'm sensitive to is your inability or stubborn refusal to give any examples of the bands or songs you don't like in order to just throw a whole sub-genre unto the dumpster. It just sounds like what the typical boomer sounds like when they say "I like all kinds of music except rap, country, heavy metal, etc). It just sounds like pre-conceived closed-mindedness.
And no, Phish and Grateful Dead most definitely do not suck.
Most people I've ever heard say Phish or GD suck are judging the bands by their fans, and can't name a song by either group.
So I guess that's where I was coming from.
I'd still be happy to post YT links of "good reasons to listen to Christian Rock™"........
but not if you've already made up your mind on the matter.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:13 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
There was a "Unblack Metal" band called Horde in the 90's that had a song called Invert the Inverted Cross. Always made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcQnNMMh-ig

I've been intrigued by the whole Scandinavian black metal scene for a few years, but mostly reading about it, because I can't listen to it for very long.
in the YT description, the label boss got death threats because this band were Christians.
They take that shit seriously up there......

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:17 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
I guess the thing that I'm sensitive to is your inability or stubborn refusal to give any examples of the bands or songs you don't like in order to just throw a whole sub-genre unto the dumpster. It just sounds like what the typical boomer sounds like when they say "I like all kinds of music except rap, country, heavy metal, etc). It just sounds like pre-conceived closed-mindedness.
And no, Phish and Grateful Dead most definitely do not suck.
Most people I've ever heard say Phish or GD suck are judging the bands by their fans, and can't name a song by either group.
So I guess that's where I was coming from.
I'd still be happy to post YT links of "good reasons to listen to Christian Rock™"........
but not if you've already made up your mind on the matter.

I’ve made up my mind on the matter that I don’t care for the genre. As I said, I feel the same way about rap. There are some rap songs I like but not many. Feel free to post any links you want and I’ll let you know if I change my mind.

I very much disagree with the idea that not liking a genre of music is close mindedness

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:40 am 

I didn't say that.
I said rejecting a genre based on a nebulous descriptor is close minded.
Like saying "I don't like Mexican food because Menudo is fucking disgusting".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8pJ7G_Tq40
This came out on Island within months of The Joshua Tree.
77s fans are still salty that the label yanked the rug out from under them in favor of U2.
They're not completely wrong, but in a perfect world, 77s would've been huge too.
Give this a shot.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:59 am 

Chagall Guevara.....
Steve Taylor. A legend in CCM made a foray into the mainstream on MCA Records (I think) with this supergroup.
They were on the Pump Up The Volume soundtrack.
One of the greatest frontmen/lyricists in any genre...
Of course, they didn't sell any records and got dropped.
:(
Their one album is a fucking classic though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MlXWrJAIHo

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:11 am 

Here's one of the dudes from DC Talk absolutely killing it on a Bob Dylan song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slFAUfwhIIg

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:44 am 

Here are The Choir....
also on the Mt Rushmore of "Too secular for the church, too church for the mainstream", although they also put out a major label record called Circle Slide in like 1991.
Apparently this was the last Cornerstone, and they played their seminal album "Chase The Kangaroo" in entirety.
The drummer (Steve Hindalong)writes all the lyrics, the bass player (Tim Chandler)could give Peter Hook, John Taylor and Simon Gallup a run for their money, he unfortunately passed away not too long ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvF77FpEhYA

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:05 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Christian Rock encompasses a lot of different genres that get joined together. There is the K-Love and church worship genre that is mostly all some people know. There were a ton of Christian metal and hardcore bands back in the day. There was also punk, ska, emo, alternative, electronic, classic rock, blues, instrumental, country, Gospel, rap, rapcore, indie rock and other genres. So to whitewash the whole genre as essentially top 40 Christian music is to miss a ton of different music. I guess I shouldn't be, but I am sometimes when people who would never discriminate against lyric content from a mainstream artist get all anti-Christian Rock for no good reason. I guess they just hate all people who believe in a transcendent reality.