It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Telegram Sam wrote:
I heard a story/rumor that Back in Black was pretty much already written before Bon Scott died. I can't listen to those songs and not hear Brian Johnson, They don't sound like Bon Scott Songs to me. I know I sound like a cranky old man, but AC/DC didn't really become a different band in terms of sound, songwriting style, etc. the way that Van Halen did (and Bon Scott was one of the principle songwriters.) But they definitely lost their "sneer."

most of the LYRICS....were Bon...no question.
AC/DC is better about hiding secrets than most governments.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Isn't Alex the unsung asshole in the band? Thought he and/or his wife were behind some off the more sketchy shit.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Furious Styles wrote:
Isn't Alex the unsung asshole in the band? Thought he and/or his wife were behind some off the more sketchy shit.

I've heard those stories as well...which make sense since Eddie is so fucked up he can barely stand upright...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:21 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"Right Now," "Feels So Good," "Why Can't This Be Love," "Dreams," "When It's Love," and "Top of the World" are the only Van Hagar songs I really like, I think. But "Right Now" is a classic, everyone knows that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
"Right Now," "Feels So Good," "Why Can't This Be Love," "Dreams," "When It's Love," and "Top of the World" are the only Van Hagar songs I really like, I think. But "Right Now" is a classic, everyone knows that.

Hold me, Tall Midget. Tell me everything is going to be ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Those songs suck and are pretty lame.

It's going to be okay.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:45 pm 

You clowns have me about to crank I'll Wait.

Happy weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:02 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
You clowns have me about to crank I'll Wait.

Happy weekend!

Fantastic song. Top 3 off that album for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:40 pm 

You know what, the more I think about this, the madder I get. It is not ok to like the Sammy Hagar incarnation of Van Halen, and certainly not more than the original incarnation.. You can hate both, that's Ok. They were both stupid bands. The first one was stupid with a degree of aplomb. The second was sell-tequila stupid.

Guy Fieri-ization of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Van Halen is Dave, everything after is a pale attempt at chasing greatness. If the first minute of Hot for Teacher doesn’t make you want to play air drums or air guitar... you don’t like music.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:01 pm 

Me too, Sam. I can't fucking believe Boyd dumped on Diver Down. The first six songs just groove right along. "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?" is a terrific opener. Hang Em High, Secrets, Intruder (whick kills, by the way) and you still get Litte Guitars and The Full Bug along the way.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Telegram Sam wrote:
You know what, the more I think about this, the madder I get. It is not ok to like the Sammy Hagar incarnation of Van Halen, and certainly not more than the original incarnation.. You can hate both, that's Ok. They were both stupid bands. The first one was stupid with a degree of aplomb. The second was sell-tequila stupid.

Yes, this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Me too, Sam. I can't fucking believe Boyd dumped on Diver Down. The first six songs just groove right along. "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?" is a terrific opener. Hang Em High, Secrets, Intruder (whick kills, by the way) and you still get Litte Guitars and The Full Bug along the way.

And it was just meant to be something to keep the name out there while 1984 was completed. Not too shabby.

It shits all over something like Balance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:24 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Taking nothing away from Ed being one of guitar GOAT....he's also one of the Douchebag GOAT. Good list.,

Dave Era:
On Fire, Panama, House Of Pain, Somebody Get Me A Doctor, Unchained, Runnin With the Devil, Eruption-> You Really Got Me, Ice Cream Man, Ain't Talkin Bout Love

Sammy Era:
Top of the World, Best Of Both Worlds, Humans Being, Summer Nights, 5150, Dreams, When it's Love, Poundcake, Black and Blue, Cabo Wabo

2 entirely different sound bands. More magic in the Dave era, but some great years with Hagar.

and yes...that first Montrose album is amazing.

These songs are soft and lame, no edge. Drippy with schlock. As I said, Dave had at least 2 more good albums with VH left in them until the well ran dry. Maybe three. Eat 'Em and Smile was good, Skyscrapper was schlocky but the band was still tight and A Little Ain't Enough was pretty good, especially with Becker on the six-string. Take that and meld it with Mike, Eddie and Alex. Boom, done.

Add Romeo Delight to the Dave-era and then go ahead and add all the others. Shit, add Me Wise Magic if you want I won't scoff at ya.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

And it was just meant to be something to keep the name out there while 1984 was completed. Not too shabby.

It shits all over something like Balance.

I've never felt closer to you than I do right now.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Telegram Sam wrote:

Look, sometimes I crave a big thick slice of late '80s/early '90s synth cheese. "Jump" doesn't hit my cheese receptors that way. "Dreams" does. "Feels So Good" does. I'm not taking any further questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:36 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

Look, sometimes I crave a big thick slice of late '80s/early '90s synth cheese. "Jump" doesn't hit my cheese receptors that way. "Dreams" does. "Feels So Good" does. I'm not taking any further questions.

Why are you so stupid?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Van Halen 10x yes.

Van Hagar sucked. I don't think it was all Hagar's fault. Eddie and his brother with their huge ego's coming off the Roth era wanted the band to be more political and 'make a difference'. Fuck that. They fell flat on their face.

Interesting tid bit : Van Halen brothers considered Patty Smyth to replace Roth. Wouldn't that have been something! Patty Smyth would have been much better than Hagar and she was strong enough to say FU to the Van Halen brothers and be the band.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Those songs suck and are pretty lame.

It's going to be okay.

Exactamundo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
In the end EVH is genius.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Telegram Sam wrote:

There's only one way to rock!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Montrose. Period.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
SomeGuy wrote:
Two different bands. View them through that prism and it makes more sense.

I prefer, and it isn't even close, Van Halen but Van Hagar has some decent tunes but there was definitely a shift with the sound after Roth left. I tend to look at Eat 'Em and Smile as "What could have been...." if Roth didn't leave/get fired from the band. As for Diver Down, that album was filler covers but was still solid in a lot of respects (Little Guitars, Pretty Woman), plus they needed something to put out in between Fair Warning and 1984. Both pretty killer albums with the former being probably my favorite. With Hagar I'll say that 5150 was very good and OU812 was also....everything after that was mediocre to poor except for a song or two here and there and as a whole couldn't compete with VHI, VH2, WACF, FW and 1984.

Van Halen was just more raw, live, fun and the Michael Anthony vocal harmonies are still killer. Eddie's guitar tone was better as well. Roth also had his more dorky/cheesy stuff contained by the band, that side of him you saw more after he was out, especially on Skyscraper. The Hagar era was more polished but also felt more machined and way more lame.

Like JORR side, Hagar was better with Montrose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Any era. Any combo. Panama sucks. The pussification of merica began with this tune. Otherwise, bigfan of the diamond Dave VH and Sammy pre VH....Montrose or solo. One voice. One vote.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Any era. Any combo. Panama sucks. The pussification of merica began with this tune. Otherwise, bigfan of the diamond Dave VH and Sammy pre VH....Montrose or solo. One voice. One vote.

what?! Panama is awesome. It wasn't the song as more the music video. Remember he was eating pussy in that? Maybe you're too young.

https://youtu.be/fuKDBPw8wQA?t=83

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
HawaiiYou wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

what?! Panama is awesome. It wasn't the song as more the music video. Remember he was eating pussy in that? Maybe you're too young.

https://youtu.be/fuKDBPw8wQA?t=83

Yeah, we're runnin' a little hot tonight...
I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off it...
Reach down between my legs, you easy sleazebag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Panama will always remind me of Carlos Lee strolling to the dish

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Panama will always remind me of Carlos Lee strolling to the dish

Only reason to remember it. Pre pubescent lyrics, horrible singing, piped in engine noise :puker: :puker: .

It was the MTV generation. It didn't always sit well with me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:12 am 

Furious Styles wrote:

My Prog Rock jug band in college were called The Unsung Assholes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next