It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
GoldenJet wrote:
Zeppelin never had anything on the who

I deduct points from the Who because they invented- or at least popularized- the rock opera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The Division wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
The Division wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
The Division wrote:
Speaking of Faction Punk bands, I have been listening to Teenage Bottle Rocket quite a bit lately. You can find a lot of their shows on YouTube.

A friend's band just signed up to open for them on tour...then they found out that the singer from teenage bottlerocket has some pretty serious rape allegations against him and it's kind of a mess.

They have two guys that sing but Ray Carlisle is their main singer I believe. Just looked it up and found a bit about it. Yeah, seems pretty messy and it is Ray Carlisle. Hmmm...

Man....how did I miss all this teenage bottlerocket talk!! I had tickets to see them on Easter in 2020 but of course it got cancelled. They absolutely shred. Ray always seemed pretty cool from his interviews however half of those interviews were about his bro dying. They were coming to Milwaukee again but to a weird spot with a mask mandate so i didn't get tickets and then they ended up not even playing that show.

What was the opening band that had to cancel? I love anything and everything that sounds like TBR and am always looking for new (to me) bands to listen to.

I really dig their new song Ghost Story. Didn’t like it at first because it was a bit different than their normal stuff. But after hearing it a few times, I really like it.

Ghost Story is a jam. It came out last summer IIRC. I can do without the synth though....synth and punk rock do not mix. I love Direct Hit when they are strictly a 4 piece but when they add that god damn synth to it is just ruins it.

Just saw that Teenage Bottlerocket is hitting the road or has actually hit the road. They of course still refuse to come to milwuakee so I will never see them. I did see that Pears is coming in May. They look like they put on a pretty awesome show so I might have to check that one out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:41 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I deduct points from the Who because they invented- or at least popularized- the rock opera.

Yeah...but...Quadrophenia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:29 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock, and Cooling Off by Galactic to help clean up approach in other group I'm playing in.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

Last edited by Harvard Dan on Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

One of my favorite double albums of all time. Don't believe I own any other Who albums other than Live at Leeds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

yeah, but Who's next.

Zeppelin v. The Who is a fun one.
I'd have to give slight edge to Zeppelin but top 2 Who for me are Who's Next and Quadrophenia and I'll take those two over anyone's argument for the best 2 Zeppelin albums (IMO that would be II, and Houses of the Holy).

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
BigW72 wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

yeah, but Who's next.

I'd have to give slight edge to Zeppelin but top 2 Who for me are Who's Next and Quadrophenia and I'll take those two over anyone's argument for the best 2 Zeppelin albums (IMO that would be II, and Houses of the Holy).

Live: The Who > Zep

Studio: Zep > The Who

Top 2 Who albums are arguably better than any Zep albums, but its something like:

1. Who's Next
2. Quadrophenia
3. Zep 2
4. Physical Graffiti
5. Houses of the Holy
6. Zep 3
7. Who Are You
8. Presence
9. Zep 1
10. Who By Numbers

But the dropoff from the top 5 between the 2 is pretty steep. The Who do have the superior live album, because I think when their live work was recorded, they were in peak form (Live at Leeds).

Now, I expect Frank to come along shortly and tell us all why Zeppelin is miles above anything the Who ever did, but that's because he's a shill for Zep.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:57 pm 

I'm watching last year's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction on HBO Max. Belinda Carlisle looks better now than she did in 1982

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Acid Queen is also fantastic in that Amsterdam show. My God what power.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:49 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

yeah, but Who's next.

Top 2 Who albums are arguably better than any Zep albums, but its something like:

1. Who's Next
2. Quadrophenia
3. Zep 2
4. Physical Graffiti
5. Houses of the Holy
6. Zep 3
7. Who Are You
8. Presence
9. Zep 1
10. Who By Numbers

But the dropoff from the top 5 between the 2 is pretty steep. The Who do have the superior live album, because I think when their live work was recorded, they were in peak form (Live at Leeds).

Now, I expect Frank to come along shortly and tell us all why Zeppelin is miles above anything the Who ever did, but that's because he's a shill for Zep.

Interesting that we are in full agreement on 1-4. Somehow you left off Led IV...I'm taking Led IV over I, III, Presence, and houses of the Holy.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:54 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

yeah, but Who's next.

1. Who's Next
2. Quadrophenia
3. Zep 2
4. Physical Graffiti
5. Houses of the Holy
6. Zep 3
7. Who Are You
8. Presence
9. Zep 1
10. Who By Numbers

Interesting that we are in full agreement on 1-4. Somehow you left off Led IV...I'm taking Led IV over I, III, Presence, and houses of the Holy.

Fair...honestly, I forgot about Zep IV when I was typing this earlier. I would slot it in right behind Houses of the Holy and bump Who by Numbers out of my top 10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
The Division wrote:
The Division wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
The Division wrote:
Speaking of Faction Punk bands, I have been listening to Teenage Bottle Rocket quite a bit lately. You can find a lot of their shows on YouTube.

A friend's band just signed up to open for them on tour...then they found out that the singer from teenage bottlerocket has some pretty serious rape allegations against him and it's kind of a mess.

They have two guys that sing but Ray Carlisle is their main singer I believe. Just looked it up and found a bit about it. Yeah, seems pretty messy and it is Ray Carlisle. Hmmm...

Man....how did I miss all this teenage bottlerocket talk!! I had tickets to see them on Easter in 2020 but of course it got cancelled. They absolutely shred. Ray always seemed pretty cool from his interviews however half of those interviews were about his bro dying. They were coming to Milwaukee again but to a weird spot with a mask mandate so i didn't get tickets and then they ended up not even playing that show.

What was the opening band that had to cancel? I love anything and everything that sounds like TBR and am always looking for new (to me) bands to listen to.

I really dig their new song Ghost Story. Didn’t like it at first because it was a bit different than their normal stuff. But after hearing it a few times, I really like it.

Ghost Story is a jam. It came out last summer IIRC. I can do without the synth though....synth and punk rock do not mix. I love Direct Hit when they are strictly a 4 piece but when they add that god damn synth to it is just ruins it.

Just saw that Teenage Bottlerocket is hitting the road or has actually hit the road. They of course still refuse to come to milwuakee so I will never see them. I did see that Pears is coming in May. They look like they put on a pretty awesome show so I might have to check that one out.

TBR are coming to Houston, I think. Will have to see if I can get out to see them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
RIGHT NOW :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIhUMEtYICM - always been a big fan of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeZdK7xRBD4 - didnt hear this in a very long time. But our driving plans to the Keys made this pop up in my head.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:09 pm 

Believer - Imagine Dragons on a continuous loop.

I managed to not beat my child.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I just saw that Brendan Kelly is opening for TBR in Chicago. Whatever shit was going down with Ray last year must be over. BK is a pretty progressive and connected guy. I can not imagine he would go out in support of them if that stuff was true. I think the other opening band is at least half female.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:32 pm 

I just saw that Brendan Kelly is opening for TBR in Chicago. Whatever shit was going down with Ray last year must be over. BK is a pretty progressive and connected guy. I can not imagine he would go out in support of them if that stuff was true. I think the other opening band is at least half female.

Looks like they will be in Houston on Feb. 16. The Queers are listed as part of the lineup.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:51 pm 

Would be cool if it was bullshit and they're moving beyond the controversy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:36 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
u
The Division wrote:

Looks like they will be in Houston on Feb. 16. The Queers are listed as part of the lineup.

woah, The Queers, that's a blast from the 90's. Doctor Frank, head of Lookout records, used to take his band Mr T Experience (Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend) out on tour with The Queers and usually another label-mate band, The PeeChees or such. MTX and The Queers would trade off which headlined depending on the city. I think Joe Queer's from Detroit originally, so they'd headline Detroit shows. But when I saw them in Chicago MTX headlined. Both bands much louder, punkier, heavier than their bordering on bubblegum pop punk records. Punk Rock Girls probably The Queers best known song. Tho I like the Queers earlier Love Songs for the Retarded.

Recall one Lookout Records showcase tour where they had this weird ass band from England by way of Austin called the Prima Donnas. Prima Donnas played first and the lead singer drank through his comp drink tickets and started hitting up other band members and the audience for drinks. He even left the stage in the middle of his show and walked to the back of the venue to the bar to get another drink after a girl from the PeeChees gave him one of her drink tickets. Actually he did that twice, iirc. PeeChees played next and this Prima Donnas dude camped in front of the stage and seized control of the PeeChees smoke machine. PeeChees were big on presentation for a punk band. Anyhow, Prima Donnas dude (name was Otto, I think) immediately cranks the smoke-machine all the way up, filling the stage with smoke and obscuring the band from view. Some Spinal Tap shit. After a couple songs lead singer of the PeeChees asks if maybe the smoke is too much? Prima Donna Otto said something like 'Oh, no mate, you're looking good, keep going'. Wonder what happened to those bands.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:29 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
Would be cool if it was bullshit and they're moving beyond the controversy.

Indeed...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:36 am 

Hussra wrote:
u
The Division wrote:

woah, The Queers, that's a blast from the 90's. Doctor Frank, head of Lookout records, used to take his band Mr T Experience (Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend) out on tour with The Queers and usually another label-mate band, The PeeChees or such. MTX and The Queers would trade off which headlined depending on the city. I think Joe Queer's from Detroit originally, so they'd headline Detroit shows. But when I saw them in Chicago MTX headlined. Both bands much louder, punkier, heavier than their bordering on bubblegum pop punk records. Punk Rock Girls probably The Queers best known song. Tho I like the Queers earlier Love Songs for the Retarded.

Recall one Lookout Records showcase tour where they had this weird ass band from England by way of Austin called the Prima Donnas. Prima Donnas played first and the lead singer drank through his comp drink tickets and started hitting up other band members and the audience for drinks. He even left the stage in the middle of his show and walked to the back of the venue to the bar to get another drink after a girl from the PeeChees gave him one of her drink tickets. Actually he did that twice, iirc. PeeChees played next and this Prima Donnas dude camped in front of the stage and seized control of the PeeChees smoke machine. PeeChees were big on presentation for a punk band. Anyhow, Prima Donnas dude (name was Otto, I think) immediately cranks the smoke-machine all the way up, filling the stage with smoke and obscuring the band from view. Some Spinal Tap shit. After a couple songs lead singer of the PeeChees asks if maybe the smoke is too much? Prima Donna Otto said something like 'Oh, no mate, you're looking good, keep going'. Wonder what happened to those bands.

Quick search shows that PeeChees disbanded in 1998. Can't find info on Prima Donnas, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:09 am 

yeah, i tried googling a bit, all I found is that the girl drummer and lead singer of PeeChees were married co-owners of Lookout Records. I always thought Dr Frank was an owner, maybe he just worked for em. The drummer chick went on to be involved in the riot grrrl movement and now runs music for Kickstarter. They divorced way back.

PeeChees had the most interesting-to-me sound, more punk than the Ramones-eque pop punk of the Queers and Mr T Experience. PeeChees vocals were annoying as shit tho. The singer trying to emulate Johnny Rotten or something. MTX's Revenge is Sweet and So Are You super fun record. Surprised they never caught on with the Blink 182s and Jimmy Eat Worlds that were popular around then.

Recall reading an Austin whatever local indie rag retrospective piece on the mid-90's Austin music scene a decade on. They mentioned that Prima Donnas along with Trail of Dead were the kings of the local Austin indie music scene for a few years in the mid-90's, but that was about all they had to say about em.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:17 pm 

I don't remember this video at all. Did they ever show it on MTV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENX1Sf3fgQ

It's the best video ever and I never saw it before.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:25 pm 

I bet MTV played that a billion times.

Still pretty great. Man they were fantastic before Synchronicity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:52 am 

GoldenJet wrote:

If I recall what Andy had to say in "One Train Later" that song was basically a little guitar and then Stewart's drums added to the demo made by Sting with the keyboardist. My avatar is my favorite Police album...after Synchronicity I the rest of the album fades for me Jet. Copeland was my guy as a kid picking up the sticks. I still crank my snares, have smaller hi hats, and a splash or two.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:05 am 

They look like they are having fun/enjoy being around each other in that video. Copeland started doing tv/film scoring toward the end, I think he did the music for the original Equalizer. Probably made more money, easier work and without the headaches of having to deal with Sting and being on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:43 am 

Hussra wrote:
Copeland started doing tv/film scoring toward the end.

Andy Summers was also in TV. Anyone remember the series, "The Hitchhiker" on HBO from the '80s? It was that decade's version of the Twilight Zone. Andy Summers was in an episode called, "The Legendary Billy B". I think you can still find it on Youtube. The episode stars Kirstie Alley in her prime and Brian Dourif, famous for his role in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. I'm not a big horror guy, but I found the episode really haunting as a teenager.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:04 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Andy Summers was also in TV. Anyone remember the series, "The Hitchhiker" on HBO from the '80s? It was that decade's version of the Twilight Zone. Andy Summers was in an episode called, "The Legendary Billy B". I think you can still find it on Youtube. The episode stars Kirstie Alley in her prime and Brian Dourif, famous for his role in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. I'm not a big horror guy, but I found the episode really haunting as a teenager.

Yes, because everyone will remember BRAD Dourif for One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest only.

I can't think of anything else he ever did...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:30 am 

Harvard Dan wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

If I recall what Andy had to say in "One Train Later" that song was basically a little guitar and then Stewart's drums added to the demo made by Sting with the keyboardist. My avatar is my favorite Police album...after Synchronicity I the rest of the album fades for me Jet. Copeland was my guy as a kid picking up the sticks. I still crank my snares, have smaller hi hats, and a splash or two.

I like Synchronicity, but it's definitely more of a Sting solo album v The Police we were all used to.

The song Synchronicity II....THAT's the jam....Always wanted that in my cover band set list.

Yes, the old Stewart Copland cracking snare is legendary. Great sound.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:58 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Hussra wrote:

He was also the original band leader for the Dennis Miller show, I think he used the band from "World Gone Strange" which included Chad Wackerman on drums.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:00 am 

Hussra wrote:
They look like they are having fun/enjoy being around each other in that video. Copeland started doing tv/film scoring toward the end, I think he did the music for the original Equalizer. Probably made more money, easier work and without the headaches of having to deal with Sting and being on the road.

Rumblefish was his first movie soundtrack...I have that cassette somewhere.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 185  Next