It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I like both versions. Roth era was more summer time fun rock and roll. Hager was more serious type, not as freewheeling. Still I listen to both they are in my spotify

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
chaspoppcap wrote:
I like both versions. Roth era was more summer time fun rock and roll. Hager was more serious type, not as freewheeling. Still I listen to both they are in my spotify

I am just adding this post to my arsenal...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I listened to Diver Down on a run through the O'Hare corridor before my BRGRBelly visit. It's even better than I remember! The veggie burger was pretty good too.

Alex' signature Tama snare cranked way up, with Secrets and the Full Bug just kicking my ass all over again.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Guy Fieri wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
You know what, the more I think about this, the madder I get. It is not ok to like the Sammy Hagar incarnation of Van Halen, and certainly not more than the original incarnation.. You can hate both, that's Ok. They were both stupid bands. The first one was stupid with a degree of aplomb. The second was sell-tequila stupid.

Guy Fieri-ization of the world.

There's only one way to rock!

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The Van Hagar era has to be disregarded but now we're talking about the greatness of Diver Down? this thread has jumped the shark for sure.

Diver Down was coked out filler / leftovers. It's full of garbage and was barely enough material to even be a full album. It has some bright spots, but man....I'll take 5150, 0U812 and Carnal Knowledge over Diver Down any day.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
This was my band in high school (wasn't old enough to drive to the 1984 tour, and I wish I had bugged someone to take me and some friends), so I'll chime in. First, the original 6-pack with DLR is the standard bearer, even Diver Down. Are you seriously a VH fan if you don't think Little Guitars kicks major ass?

When they broke up in '85, I planted my flag in the Roth camp, perhaps as misguided as that decision was now that I look back. I went to his first solo tour after having seen 5150 as my first concert experience (my ears rang for 4 days- holy shit was that loud). My issue with the 5150 tour was, and this is such a dumb statement, "they sound too much like the cassette," meaning they didn't veer off like they had with Dave in live shows. It's dumb to say because sounding like the cassette/record/CD, whatever, means they can play. And when they veered off the song with Dave, it was because he was doing schtick or not singing the lyrics ("I forgot the fuckin' words" was his mantra during certain songs at every stop). The Eat 'em and Smile show was great, as they played a ton of VH. Everybody Wants Some was particularly good.

I was never a Sammy fan pre-VH, though those that point to his work in Montrose score points. Much better than anything he did solo. As for Roth's solo stuff, Eat 'Em and Smile was good. Skyscraper was an overproduced piece of crap, despite the virtuosity of Vai and Sheehan. I tried listening to it recently and was embarrassed I ever enjoyed it. A Little Ain't Enough had some good songs (It's Showtime and Drop in the Bucket especially). After that, not much worth listening to, though DLR Band also had some tunes I enjoyed. My issue with Dave is him trying to sing in a register that he just can't hit, and that's evidenced on A Different Kind of Truth. I have decent quality versions of some of the original songs that were redone for ADKOT, and they sound awesome. Big River was originally called Big Trouble. Outta Space was originally called "Let's Get Rockin'," and that one was especially great.

Even though I wasn't a Sammy fan, I grew to like some of Van Hagar. Best of Both Worlds, Summer Nights, 5150 especially from their first record. Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) from Balance is probably my favorite from their time together. I won't go album by album, but anyone who lists Feels So Good on their list of best Van Hagar songs needs to redo their list. That, Mine All Mine, and When It's Love all suck and are just synthesizer crap. And yes, I know all about Jump and how it was their only #1 hit, but I don't care if I never hear that song again either. Dave was right: no one wants to hear you play keyboard, Eddie, and even though the intro to And the Cradle will Rock was done on a Moog synthesizer and it rules, you're the king of 10 fingers and 6 strings, not the ivories. Hit the "Who You Crappin?" button for Dave, as he ended up having a full time keyboard player on most of his solo stuff.

Now in terms of who I'd want to hang out with, that's easy. Either Michael Anthony or Sammy. DLR, whom I thought was the coolest mf'er on the planet back in the day, is a complete fucking lunatic. Pre-internet, I'd devour any interview with him and think it was funny as hell. Now? He comes across as a complete buffoon, and his schtick has worn completely thin. No interest in ever meeting Eddie because I don't think he gives 2 shits about the fans, as evidenced by their lack of putting out any type of "lost footage" material. Throw the fans a bone, Ed. I don't particularly care about new music, but what about live footage or b-sides that didn't make it to an album? Sammy and Michael come across as the most normal of the entire group.

I know the music business has changed and bands make their money on tour as opposed to releasing new albums, but continuing to tour with DLR, playing music that was last released over 30 years ago is an embarrassing money grab. 6 albums. That's all they did with Dave, and most of them clocked in under 30 minutes. They're nothing but a nostalgia act and for no one in their camp to tell Dave to quit "singing" in that high register is a joke.

Anyway, I don't post much (now even I know why, so I'll hang up and go back to my geek corner), but this was in my wheelhouse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
VH, VH II and Women and Children First is about all I can take. They were pretty great to a 12-15yo GoldenJet. After that, they sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
GoldenJet wrote:
VH, VH II and Women and Children First is about all I can take. They were pretty great to a 12-15yo GoldenJet. After that, they sucked.

"Fair Warning" merits a spot in that grouping.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Telegram Sam wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Yeah. Many say it is better than WACF even.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
That's fine, just sayin' I had moved beyond VH at that point.

I did buy the Diver Down album...that sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The twin engines of my rock and roll education were the first Van Halen album and Never Mind The Bollocks. Summer of '78, motherfuckers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
The Dream is Over ....

pretty good underrated Van H song...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:44 pm 

I listened to Diver Down just the other day. It's even better than I remembered!

Bought this sweet JBL wireless speaker that I plan to put through its paces on Sunday. I think VH will be a big hit.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:14 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

Anyway, I don't post much (now even I know why, so I'll hang up and go back to my geek corner), but this was in my wheelhouse.

fuck u asshole.

u better start postin' more and quit ur dumb "geek corner" bullshit.

Fuck u u puss.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
pittmike wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Yeah. Many say it is better than WACF even.

Fair Warning > WACF

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 am 

FW is probably my favorite, but WACF is consistently stronger. FW has higher highs.

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
1984 was the first cassette tape a young Franky T bought with his own money. I was 11 years old and still remember riding my bike up to Appletree Records to make my purchase. I thought I was so cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:45 am 

Franky T wrote:
Appletree Records

:afro:

-Hank Kingsley