It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Radiohead coming
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:39 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The stunt for this album is that Radiohead deleted all their webpages and social media accounts. This means the album is probably either about the rejection of modern technology or being a 15-year-old girl.

Expected album title is The Dawn Chorus, which is what it's called when birds are...tweeting.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Sun May 01, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Radiohead coming
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
:roll:

In that case, maybe it will turn out to be about 50 minutes of complete silence, and be lauded as their best ever.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:43 pm 

I see someone is resentful of Radiohead having created great music.

EDIT: that The King of Limbs mostly sucked, I'll grant you. They redeemed themselves a little bit by basically doing the whole thing over as a live album with bonus tracks, the same thing Wilco did with A Ghost Is Born's leaden production and Kicking Television.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Remember to remember me, CH.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 pm 

"Hummingbird," appropriately, I guess, is the only track on the album that doesn't feel plodding, muted, and muddy. Was there a mastering error or something? I mean, especially from them, it's weird that the whole album would just sound like crap. It's too bad, because I'd love "Company in My Back" and "Muzzle of Bees" if they didn't sound so bad.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:31 pm 

i didn't hear enough of "limbs" that i liked enough to get it...i did get "in rainbows" and liked it a lot. i'll always give them a chance.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:40 pm 

"The Daily Mail" is the best song from the album, so of course it's not on the album, just the live-in-studio one. Saddest part of that whole album, which just proves Minooka Meatball's point, was people saying stuff like "Radiohead is revolutionizing the music industry by showing an album doesn't have to be a masterpiece, it can just be good enough." I mean, seriously, they just made a crappy album, it's okay. Fall Out Boy only makes crappy albums and they're holding up okay.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:43 pm 

so what's the live album you're speaking of again? and that's worth getting if "limbs" the studio album is no good?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:02 pm 

The King of Limbs: Live from the Basement, which was technically a DVD, I think, but exists in digital audio form as well. Basically, they just run through the album plus the three songs they cut (Daily Mail, Staircase, Supercollider) live to tape and with limited sidemen. It ends up being better than the produced album version, which is a highly unusual thing to have to say about Radiohead, of all bands.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:01 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Limbs was awful. The live take itself was cool because it was a live take and yes it did sound better.

Radiohead fans are so annoying though. The I have Kid A so I get music thing was soooooooo annoying. It's like any big following be it pearl jam, buffet the dead etc... Their following is so annoying. You don't get how deep this band is man blah blah blah.

Now back to this. I truly hope another great album turns out. They collectively are awesome. They get sonic landscapes and painting amazing images. I hope this new album slays.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:14 am 

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
The I have Kid A so I get music thing was soooooooo annoying.

well what annoyed me more was how long it took for people to come around to the album, and then act like they loved it all along. i was one of 2 people i knew who appreciated it off first listen...i knew a few people who threw the cd out of their car in the middle of it, and others who just said it was that radiohead "completely lost it".

i think around the time "amnesiac" was coming out, suddenly it becomes this masterpiece that everyone has to love and admire. and i'm thinking...so where was this sentiment when it first came out? i didn't really read rock magazines, so i probably missed that.

same thing with "pinkerton" by weezer. when it first came out, everyone i knew hated it because it was darker and nothing like the blue album. now, it's a masterpiece among masterpieces. save it, posers.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:41 am 

I didn't get into Radiohead until the fall of 2004, having boycotted them through high school because I didn't like some guy who did like them or something dumb. Anyway, the point is I wasn't around for a new release until In Rainbows, so I didn't get to get in on any of that snobbery as Kid A was coming out.

I feel like the In Rainbows release was the closest thing we've had to a shared experience as music fans in the last ten years (Beyonce stuff doesn't count). Everyone downloading their .zip files as soon as it was 10/10/07, fighting over how much one should have paid...good times. Took me like another six years to fully appreciate the album, though!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:21 am 

Well, yesterday was International Dawn Chorus Day, but still no album.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:04 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I feel like the In Rainbows release was the closest thing we've had to a shared experience as music fans in the last ten years (Beyonce stuff doesn't count). Everyone downloading their .zip files as soon as it was 10/10/07, fighting over how much one should have paid...good times. Took me like another six years to fully appreciate the album, though!

the internet was way more fun back then too.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Looking forward to it. I've seen some stuff on YouTube but that means little. Doug from EP did me a solid and sent me everything after The Bends and before Limbs on disc. I just put that on shuffle and go at work sometimes. I am not sure what their current "cause" is. Global warming?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Limbs was awful. The live take itself was cool because it was a live take and yes it did sound better.

Radiohead fans are so annoying though. The I have Kid A so I get music thing was soooooooo annoying. It's like any big following be it pearl jam, buffet the dead etc... Their following is so annoying. You don't get how deep this band is man blah blah blah

I love PJ and still listen to current shows on YouTube. I would have argued with you a few years ago but you are right. Some fans act like their band is curing cancer backstage or something. We all know U2 is the only one making a true difference. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:17 am 

Yeah, I mean at least Radiohead is innovating with every new release, and the Grateful Dead was a cultural phenomenon unlike any other. Pearl Jam is just a pretty good rock band.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Pearl Jam is that they are consummate professionals that provide their fans a great show. Really decent musicians. They don't cut any new ground and that is 100% ok. I just don't want to hear about the spiritual experience of any band... I've seen pearl jam a few times even back at the second ever lolla. Damn fine rock band. Musically they were better as mother love bone imho but they are just good.

Curious I am the opposite of you I was pretty early to the party I liked Pablo and loved The Bends. The Bends to me is still the perfect alt pop album ever. It was just perfect. When OK came everyone jumped on board and had to see how arty the creep band is. The evolution of pretentious fucks just got worse and worse. At that grant park show I was pretty bummed out by the majority of the crowd's whisperings. Ughhhh anyway I digress I just don't like the prevention of radio head fans.

So spot on about Pinkerton. I absolutely loved it but no one liked it until the green album came out and you are right it has this most important album thing about it now. It started the emo movement? Wtf? That's the dumbest shit I ever heard. I am a pretentious snob I get it but at least I am pretty genuine. I hate the parrots out there. Ughhh

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I was lucky to see them at Auditorium Theatre in 2006. They were playing small venues to "test" songs for In Rainbows. It was such a great concert. I agree with most that TKOL sucked. I'm really hoping for the best with this new album. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:53 am 

I wish they had released In Rainbows as a single album, no b-sides comp. "Down Is the New Up," "Last Flowers to the Hospital," and "4 Minute Warning" are better than half the proper album tracks.

Anyway, the new album is probably coming very soon. Days if not hours.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
PJ's Wrigley shows will be something like 25 and 26 for me. Spiritual? No. I just love their music and live shows. Not trying to make them out to be something they're not. What Erotic Lawyer said is why I let my fan club membership lapse. Their shows are great, but being surrounded with the long-time "hard core" fans (shoot anyone if they refer to it as Jamily) got to be waaaaaay too annoying. I'll take seats farther back with casual fans.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:06 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The two Wrigley shows this summer will be 10 and 11 (or 11 and 12) for me. I am still in the 10club, and have sat next to the same two heavyset guys at every* Chicago/Alpine show I have attended since 2003. The Jamily is good and bad. The people take care of each other with extra tickets and things like that, but also drive the prices of merchandise and posters to skyhigh levels on the secondary market because they are so damn rabid about anything with the words "pearl jam" on it. And yeah, good band...great band. Really good shows and incredibly diverse setlists, but not a spiritual experience by any means.

*2nd 2006 UC show I had ticketmaster tix

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:10 am 

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
The Bends to me is still the perfect alt pop album ever. It was just perfect.

the bends is a great rock album. i sometimes forget how great it is because it's so far in the past, both in years, and in the direction radiohead has gone.

muse's latest album "drones" sounds like the rock album radiohead never made.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Thom Yorke is a fuck.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:41 am 

First track released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI2oS2hoL0k

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:42 am 

Should I listen now or wait for the whole album? I feel inclined to wait. I just don't know how long I can wait. This is like my Marshmallow Experiment.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:59 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Should I listen now or wait for the whole album? I feel inclined to wait. I just don't know how long I can wait. This is like my Marshmallow Experiment.

I figure they put it out - go ahead and listen. I'm already at 1000000% times better than TKOL.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:03 pm 

Can he withstand the temptation to push the button that even now beckons him ever closer? Will he succumb to the maddening urge to eradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will he hold out, folks? Can he hold out?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:26 pm 

Gave in.

Terrific arrangement, except for Thom's vocals getting lost a little bit on the choruses.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Damn it that is a decent song.