It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Then ignore all the bad stuff (and the cutoff is '95, not '92). I've not once listened to No Line on the Horizon because I figured it must suck.
I'm not sure you can say ignore 20 years of their music so easily.

If they were so great why create two decades of garbage?

I dunno, happens in rock music. And fortunately, twenty years only ends up being five kinda-not-great albums (and I don't even think some of those are bad, just not great) against nine in fifteen years that are pretty great. I don't think the mere existence of Songs of Innocence diminishes The Joshua Tree in any way.

It's hard to really judge though when a high bar has been set. if some of those later career albums by bands like the Stones or U2 had been released by a group of 18 year olds no one had previously heard of perhaps they would have been praised critically.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:34 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Then ignore all the bad stuff (and the cutoff is '95, not '92). I've not once listened to No Line on the Horizon because I figured it must suck.

I dunno, happens in rock music. And fortunately, twenty years only ends up being five kinda-not-great albums (and I don't even think some of those are bad, just not great) against nine in fifteen years that are pretty great. I don't think the mere existence of Songs of Innocence diminishes The Joshua Tree in any way.
Fair point. It's kind of like when Nelly went country.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I remember when I used to listen to the Loop in high school and their slogan was the beautifully tautological "Classic Rock...That Rocks," they still played "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation" a lot even though they were only about a year and a half old. That's an endorsement, one would have to think. Maybe U2 from the 2000s should have just released singles and EPs instead of filler-heavy albums. They could still nail the anthems but couldn't put together LPs anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
I remember when I used to listen to the Loop in high school and their slogan was the beautifully tautological "Classic Rock...That Rocks," they still played "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation" a lot even though they were only about a year and a half old. That's an endorsement, one would have to think. Maybe U2 from the 2000s should have just released singles and EPs instead of filler-heavy albums. They could still nail the anthems but couldn't put together LPs anymore.

Are you implying that someone likes Beautiful Day?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Everyone but you, Grandpa Crotchety

*Scurries off Hank's lawn*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Everyone but you, Grandpa Crotchety

*Scurries off Hank's lawn*

Did you say that with oversized glasses on and with your arms held out wide? Everrrryyyone but YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It's hard to really judge though when a high bar has been set. if some of those later career albums by bands like the Stones or U2 had been released by a group of 18 year olds no one had previously heard of perhaps they would have been praised critically.

But that's the rub...a lot of the albums in question were, in fact, praised critically. Hell, "...Atomic Bomb" won the Grammy for Best Album. Not sure what more you could ask for in the avenue of critical praise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:44 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

But that's the rub...a lot of the albums in question were, in fact, praised critically. Hell, "...Atomic Bomb" won the Grammy for Best Album. Not sure what more you could ask for in the avenue of critical praise.

It became cool to hate on U2 around 1995.

Its all good. I like a group that includes you, me, CH, Shirtless Driver and SomeGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 pm 

Btw, I DO hear it. I can believe they stole or were inspired that distorted begginning riff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Because of this post I've scrounged up my old U2 cd's..I'm sorry, but I am enjoying them.. I still won't listen to soungs of innocence though. Even though those jerks gave it it to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I disagree a little bit with your timeline, 'Arps. I think it became cool to hate on U2 at the time of the PopMart tour thru 2001-2. Some of that they absolutely brought on themselves with PopMart (which was a GREAT tour btw). ATYCLB is a pretty good album, but Bono acting like an angel during the Super Bowl and him trying to get the crowd singing along with "New York" in any city he was in is definitely cheesy.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.