It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chance the Rapper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
So hey C/S/FMB I can't help but notice that Chicago's Very Own™®© Chance the Rapper is everywhere nowadays; headlining lollapalooza, donating a mil to Chicago schools, on TV ads, "cultural ambassador" for the White Sox (but Cubs fans buy merch/concert-tickets too) so like, you know it seems like after Kendrick's big ol tale of blowing up and macking "Lucy" (2 pimp a butterfly**) did it's thing that now Chance is the new/current "it rapper" du jour...

...but what does he really have out there? I'm not scoffing / player-hatin' like he doesn't deserve his current levels of shine [like you might go blind if he walks by when you're without Oakley thermonuclear protection =] I genuinely want to ask anyone here if they can point me in the direction of some top shelf Chance[CTR] cuts so I can rock em out and see if I have a new guy to root for atop the game.

Personally, when I first heard of him he had his initial mixtape/LP 10 Day and then the critically-knobslobbered-and-a-half "Acid Rap" --- the latter didn't do too much for me, but I thought 10 Day was overall a better work/tape/LP... And that cut "Windows" was just so damn nice you can't help and be like "man a 17 year old kid made this... What the fuck am I doing with my life?"

So yeah, I know I'm way more goofy/niche with my tastes/styles than most here, so I'm hoping some ppl here can be a proverbial scythe through bullshit [read: a lava-dipped Excalibur thru butter] to help me get up on some quality CTR wares here, cuz given dude's $$$SUCCESS$$$ nowadays clearly he has to have way more nice tracks than just windows, right? Plz halp me find them, C/S/FMB!

Post subject: Re: Chance the Rapper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Woops I forgot my footnote in the OP

** = IMHO, 2 pimp a butterfly was a nice solid album but I don't really get the big deal as to why ppl rode it's nuts so hard.... Honestly it sounds like a proper 90s underground LP that I've heard 25-50 times b4, and maybe relative to today's "rap game" dropping a 90s underground rap album @ the highest levels of mainstream is so relatively-!!! that when you get actual rapping + jazzy beats + dude has something to say (even if it's just LUCY WANTS MY SOUL TO MAKE IT BIG IN THIS RAP GAME!!!) in [Current Year] ppl can't help but go nuts and jock their nuts off cuz contemporary [top-40] rap is just so shit [I call it "a cesspool of materialism circling the porcelain drain"] that hearing a throwback to a much better age of rap = OMFG ALL-TIME CLASSIC LP??

No disrespect to Kendrick, and while I started typing this i got king kunta stuck in my head like now I gotta put it on so maybe the album is catchier than I initially gave it credit for, but still it's just overall like "what's the big deal? It's a nice album but haven't people heard 90s underground/ish hip hop b4? It's not reinventing the wheel or anything!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:28 am 

pizza_Place: Tortorice's
Hot take: chance sucks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:29 am 

pizza_Place: Tortorice's
Even hotter take: to pimp a butterfly is the most overrated hip hop album of the last ten years