It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sabbath on WXRT
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:30 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Pretty sure they run jockless on Sunday nights. The computer did it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Bump. Think vinyl weekend is back. This has been great in the past. Solid deep cuts on some great albums you don't regularly hear. Tune in or don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:41 pm 

It's all album sides this time, which is nice. And now side 1 of Speaking in Tongues is on, which is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 pm 

Welp, Jazz Transfusion got killed off. Hopefully WDCB can carve out a couple hours for fusion, always a guilty pleasure of mine.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 am 

Whoa, Jason Thomas is gone. Jimmy DeCastro strikes again.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Curious Hair wrote:
Whoa, Jason Thomas is gone. Jimmy DeCastro strikes again.

That's fine...Jason Thomas was annoying.

I know he's moving to weekends or something...hopefully they're overnight weekends.

Now if they can just get rid of Terri Hemmert, all will be fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:23 am 

Yeah, Feder says he's hanging on for Big Beat and weekends, but that's an awfully big demotion to stick around through if you've had afternoon drive for years. I knew something was up last night when I went to put on the Big Beat and heard Radiohead. I hope the show won't be gone, it's a good way for me to find new music when I'm too lazy to seek it out myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:59 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, Feder says he's hanging on for Big Beat and weekends, but that's an awfully big demotion to stick around through if you've had afternoon drive for years. I knew something was up last night when I went to put on the Big Beat and heard Radiohead. I hope the show won't be gone, it's a good way for me to find new music when I'm too lazy to seek it out myself.

Who is replacing Jason Thomas? Will we see the return of James Van Osdol to the XRT airwaves now that he's out of a job, too?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 pm 

Richard Milne.

I thought Van Osdol was still back at KQX, did he irritate his way out of a gig yet again?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Richard Milne.

I thought Van Osdol was still back at KQX, did he irritate his way out of a gig yet again?

I don't think he is doing anything at KQX, but I honestly don't know. He had been a part-time DJ for the Loop, in addition to directing the station's social media efforts, before it was sold. My impression is that he is just working on his various podcasting efforts right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've always liked Richard Milne, by the way, but his promotion to afternoon drive seems strange. Isn't he like 60 years old or something? Does anyone under 50 have a regular DJ slot at that station? It sucks that XRT doesn't matter anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:35 pm 

I figured if anyone would get promoted, it would be Emma Mac, who does overnights but still seems to be in as many promos and imaging things as Lin and Terri, and is young. It's a strange promotion considering they set out to kill Local Anesthetic last year, but he always seemed to play unusually good stuff on weekends. Hopefully having a regular shift won't mean all Vance Joy, all the time. (Solk's heralded reopening of the library didn't really last, did it?)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:58 am 
1000 CLUB

You were right, CH, James Van Osdol does a local music show for KQX.

I've checked out a couple of his "Car con Carne" podcasts; they're a strange listen.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:55 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
I've always liked Richard Milne, by the way, but his promotion to afternoon drive seems strange. Isn't he like 60 years old or something? Does anyone under 50 have a regular DJ slot at that station?

I was under the impression Jason Thomas was brought in to be that 'young guy'. Didn't he replace Bobby Skafish (sp)? The Milne move is weird. Seems like he was on weekends forever. At one point I think he was doing local anesthetic on Thursday nights so it hasn't always been weekend work. I have no real problem with him either. He has become a little more opinionated on air about weird things, which worked fine on a Sunday late afternoon shift. Will be interesting to see if he brings his diatribes to weekdays too.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:37 pm 

Yeah, I think the story was that Norm arbitrarily fired Skafish and plucked Jason Thomas out of San Francisco just to show everyone that it wasn't the same seven or eight aging hipsters on the air for 25 years straight. I think he did the same thing with James Van Osdol and Johnny Mars. I never caught much of Skafish on XRT but from his work on the Drive it's hard to imagine he ever really fit in. Too polished, Daddy-O.

I don't think Local Anesthetic was ever anywhere but Sunday nights but they used to sprinkle in songs from it during normal weekday shifts so maybe you're remembering that. As for meandering DJ talk, that's kind of what the format is supposed to be about. I hope he can bring as much of his Sunday show's weirdness to weekday afternoons because then I might listen to the station on weekdays again, but I don't like those odds. Incidentally, the guy doing the Sunday night shift where Anesthetic-through-Jazz-Transfusion used to be sucks hard and if you PM me I can tell you why.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Wasn't Skafish one of the original XRT DJs? I know he worked at XRT before moving to the Loop in the late 70s or early 80s. As a Loop DJ, he was reportedly making $350,000/year + before losing his gig and returning to XRT. Not bad for spinning the same 20 or 30 records for over a decade.

I didn't mind the guy--he was certainly better than Hemmert or Marker.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:30 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't think Local Anesthetic was ever anywhere but Sunday nights but they used to sprinkle in songs from it during normal weekday shifts so maybe you're remembering that.

I mis-remembered. Searching my brain, Greg Kot and (some other music critic I should remember) had a 1 hour show for about 5 years in the late 90's. That I believe morphed into New Music Thursday. New music versus new local music....confused myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm 

Sound Opinions! It's over at WBEZ now. Its associated message board turned me on to some of my favorite and weirdest albums circa 2007-2009.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:14 am 
1000 CLUB

beni hanna wrote:
and (some other music critic I should remember) had a 1 hour show for about 5 years in the late 90's.

The other critic is the bombastically inept Jim DeRogatis. He has quite an exaggerated sense of self-importance for a guy whose greatest claims to fame are: 1) writing a negative (and unpublished) review of a Hootie and the Blowfish album for Rolling Stone and 2) receiving a copy of the R.Kelly statutory rape tape.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:35 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
I didn't mind the guy--he was certainly better than Hemmert or Marker.

Tom Marker sounds more in his element sticking to blues at WDCB. I'm guessing you felt like the station kinda passed him by, too?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:02 pm 

1970. Sabbath. Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:10 pm 

How much are they being paid to obsess over Alice Merton? She has like two songs and I'm sick to death of both.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:11 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
How much are they being paid to obsess over Alice Merton? She has like two songs and I'm sick to death of both.

Who?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:

SXM as well. “No Roots” gets my award for 2018 Most Annoying Song.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:19 pm 

The one who has no roots and is going to lash out. Sounds like Florence.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:20 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

SXM as well. “No Roots” gets my award for 2018 Most Annoying Song.

Unlike those terrible songs by fellow XRT darlings the Record Company, it wasn't even bad, it just got overplayed. Also, Florence + the Machine dropped a new album and we didn't need Alice Merton to tide us over any longer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:22 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The one who has no roots and is going to lash out. Sounds like Florence.

That song is awful...she sounds like she's garggling Terri Hemmert's cum when she sings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:50 pm 

Come on. Alice Merton, Florence, THE Record Company etc. don't hold a candle to the latest 'in thing' to play....

Greta Van Fleet does Adele's Rolling in the Deep. :puker:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
beni hanna wrote:
Greta Van Fleet does Adele's Rolling in the Deep.

That sounds like something I probably shouldn't listen to.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:35 pm 

Vinyl side weekend. Just pumped out The Clash.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next