It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
And he's a better songwriter than whoever is in the shitty band you like is. That is all .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
badrogue17 wrote:
And he's a better songwriter than whoever is in the shitty band you like is.

He's great. No doubt about it. Just watched Billy Joel's Last Play at Shea again recently and Sir Paul was terrific. Rock Icon. His influence spans generations.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
badrogue17 wrote:
And he's a better songwriter than whoever is in the shitty band you like is. That is all .

I think doug says that he wrote every rock song since 1960 whether his name is in the band or not.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
badrogue17 wrote:

The Beatles are one of those bands it's"cool" to hate.

McCartney is as much a living legend as you could ever find even if he is a little douchey sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:13 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

McCartney is as much a living legend as you could ever find even if he is a little douchey sometimes.

I always get the impression that every time he's being interviewed , he's well aware of his place in history . I get the same vibe from Jack Nicklaus. They both say all the right things to come off humble but they can't entirely mask their aura of self importance

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 am 

Harrison and Lennon were better songwriters.

Congrats to Paul for being better than Ringo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Quote:
Pete Best said:"He should rot in Hell".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
An up and down solo career....but really...after being in that one band with John Lennon....not sure how he could go up. I look forward to seeing him in Tinley. Shitty lawn seats, but who cares?

Besides, his wife is over 55 and still hot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

They were good. They didn't invent music.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

They were good. They didn't invent music.

They was a lit'l bleedin' more than good, mate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Good thread. Not liking the Beatles is like not liking Lous or Portillos. I assume you're just someone who tries too hard to be cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Douchebag wrote:
Harrison and Lennon were better songwriters.

Congrats to Paul for being better than Ringo.

I agree. He's the third best Beatle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Oh fuck the Beatles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Oh fuck the Beatles.

Your taste in music sucks as much as your taste in comedy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Oh fuck the Beatles.
Beatles fans may be worse than Cubs fans.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Oh fuck the Beatles.
Beatles fans may be worse than Cubs fans.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
badrogue17 wrote:

He wrote "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and "When I'm 64". Fuck him and his nursery rhymes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

He wrote "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and "When I'm 64". Fuck him and his nursery rhymes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... _McCartney

I'm sure you can find something you like up in here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Oh fuck the Beatles.

Your taste in music sucks as much as your taste in comedy.

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
jimmypasta wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I don't hate McCartney. Just pointing out that he wrote a lot of stinkers too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 am 

Stinkers??? NO WAY!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:16 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
McCartney had the highest highs (Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday, Let It Be, Hey Jude) and lowest lows (Honey Pie) of the Beatles' songwriters. I guess I weight the successes more than the failures. Lennon wasn't as good and was also a piece of shit person.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I don't hate McCartney. Just pointing out that he wrote a lot of stinkers too.

Hey pal, even players in the HOF made outs 70% of the time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 am 

When I'm 64 is a good song. Maxwell Silver Hammer is one of his worst and the only bad song on Abbey Road.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Curious Hair wrote:
McCartney had the highest highs (Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday, Let It Be, Hey Jude) and lowest lows (Honey Pie) of the Beatles' songwriters. I guess I weight the successes more than the failures. Lennon wasn't as good and was also a piece of shit person.

Yup. Despite all the attempts to act like Lennon was Jesus, he was (in my Mike North voice) "a piece a' gahbij!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
If I'm honest with myself, I actually prefer some of Ringo's solo efforts to most of the other three.

Of the other three, McCartney stands above. The only issue I have with him is how he recently tried to get the songwriting credits on certain songs changed from Lennon-McCartney to McCartney-Lennon. It may be technically correct but at this point I think he should leave it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Jaw Breaker wrote:
If I'm honest with myself, I actually prefer some of Ringo's solo efforts to most of the other three.

Of the other three, McCartney stands above. The only issue I have with him is how he recently tried to get the songwriting credits on certain songs changed from Lennon-McCartney to McCartney-Lennon. It may be technically correct but at this point I think he should leave it.

Harrison was best post Beatles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Phil Collins told a funny story in his autobiography regarding George Harrison. Hopefully I get this right...

Apparently when Collins was a struggling musician looking for work (pre Genesis), he was given an opportunity to play congas at Abbey Road on George Harrison's solo album All Things Must Pass. Phil Spector was producing, and Collins was really giving his all, trying to impress all the luminaries. After dozens of takes and with Collins's hands bleeding, Spector announced, "and now let's try it with congas" as though he hadn't even heard Collins playing on the earlier takes. Ringo, who was on drums, had a good laugh at Collins's expense. After the session of that one song, Collins was sent home but was thankful for the exposure.

When the record came out, Collins was devastated to see he was omitted from all the credits, and furthermore, the congas were completely absent from the final mix.

Decades later, after he had found great success with Genesis and a solo career, Collins met Harrison at a party and mentioned he heard they were remastering ATMP, and he told George his story from those sessions. A few weeks later, Collins received a package from Harrison containing an audiotape containing the original track of the congas that Collins played. Collins played it back to himself and to his horror, it was embarrassing...too busy, out of rhythm, etc. He understood why Spector and Harrison had left it off the record.

The next time Phil and George saw each other, George asked if he had received the tape, and Collins sheepishly said yeah, it wasn't his finest work, etc. Harrison finally came clean and admitted that the tape was a practical joke...Harrison had asked Ray Cooper to record some terrible congas and send it to Phil as if it was Collins's recording.

Last edited by Jaw Breaker on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Phil Collins told a funny story in his autobiography regarding George Harrison. Hopefully I get this right...

Apparently when Collins was a struggling musician looking for work (pre Genesis), he was given an opportunity to play congas at Abbey Road on George Harrison's solo album All Things Must Pass. Phil Spector was producing, and Collins was really giving his all, trying to impress all the luminaries. After dozens of takes and with Collins's hands bleeding, Spector announced, "and now let's try it with congas" as though he hadn't even heard Collins playing on the earlier takes. Ringo, who was on drums, had a good laugh at Collins's expense. After the session of that one song, Collins was sent home but was thankful for the exposure.

When the record came out, Collins was devastated to see he was omitted from all the credits.

Decades later, after he had found great success with Genesis and a solo career, Collins met Harrison at a party and mentioned he heard they were remastering ATMP, and he told George his story from those sessions. A few weeks later, Collins received a package from Harrison containing an audiotape containing the original track of the congas that Collins played. Collins played it back to himself and to his horror, it was embarrassing...too busy, out of rhythm, etc. He understood why Spector and Harrison had left it off the record.

The next time Phil and George saw each other, George admitted that the tape was a practical joke...Harrison had asked Ray Cooper to record some terrible congas and send it to Phil as if it was Collins's recording.

This would totally read like a JORRStory if there were more hookers, blow, and possibly a Steve Albini mention.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Yep, All Things Must Pass was better than anything McCartney or Lennon has ever did post-Beatles.