It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:58 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No doubt about that, but sometimes I get annoyed at the attempts to elevate George over Lennon/McCartney. It seems like such a baldly contrarian move: "hey, you know the songwriting duo that changed music? Actually the other guy in the band was better the whole time." As good as "Something" and "Blue Jay Way" are, I'll stop short there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
No doubt about that, but sometimes I get annoyed at the attempts to elevate George over Lennon/McCartney. It seems like such a baldly contrarian move: "hey, you know the songwriting duo that changed music? Actually the other guy in the band was better the whole time." As good as "Something" and "Blue Jay Way" are, I'll stop short there.

I like him the best but I have no beef with putting Lennon higher than him in the rankings. I add in his post-Beatles career to make him better than McCartney. One of my friends often gets annoyed and says "George got to hang around two of the best musicians for a decade...of course he went on to be a great musician"

I always counter with "Then what the hell happened to Ringo??" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Douchebag wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
If I'm honest with myself, I actually prefer some of Ringo's solo efforts to most of the other three.

Of the other three, McCartney stands above. The only issue I have with him is how he recently tried to get the songwriting credits on certain songs changed from Lennon-McCartney to McCartney-Lennon. It may be technically correct but at this point I think he should leave it.

Harrison was best post Beatles.

Yep, All Things Must Pass was better than anything McCartney or Lennon has ever did post-Beatles.

The copyright holder of "He's so Fine" agrees!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:

I don't think that's as much of a hipster opinion as you're making it out to be. There's also, "Taxman", "I Want To Tell You", "Only A Northern Song", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", etc. The other two egomaniacs only allowed him a song a side. And I know it's subjective, but there's a good case to be made that "Something" is the greatest Beatles song. Also, Douchebag is absolutely correct about their post-Beatles output.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hockey Gay wrote:
Good thread. Not liking the Beatles is like not liking Lous or Portillos. I assume you're just someone who tries too hard to be cool.

This guy gets it. Leash is just the worst

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I don't think that's as much of a hipster opinion as you're making it out to be. There's also, "Taxman", "I Want To Tell You", "Only A Northern Song", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", etc. The other two egomaniacs only allowed him a song a side. And I know it's subjective, but there's a good case to be made that "Something" is the greatest Beatles song. Also, Douchebag is absolutely correct about their post-Beatles output.

"Something" is up there, but it's crowded at the top. I struggle to separate the actual best from my personal favorites, which are "Eleanor Rigby" and "A Day in the Life."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I love "A Day in the Life."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Something very well may be the best song ever not just the best Beatles song.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Something very well may be the best song ever not just the best Beatles song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-xkDSdRGXs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
For me it's not "hating" the Beatles. I have the Beatles and Led Zeppelin in my "been there, done that...heard enough" category. That doesn't mean, I don't hold them in high regard and acknowledge their greatness....it's more i've heard it all way too much.

I could still listen to "Ticket To Ride" and most of Abbey Road, but I'm really done with a lot of their early stuff. It's great, but I've heard it all too much.

I think a lot of Paul's solo stuff was really, really good. "Maybe I'm Amazed" kicks all kinds of ass.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Curious Hair wrote:

Blue Jay Way?

Eh, to each his own. The Beatles are the gold standard, post classical music. Everyone else is 2nd place.