It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 468
pizza_Place: Barraco's
Some good ones listed in here, particularly Ocean Breathes Salty.

To keep it in the 00s...

Modest Mouse - Ocean Breathes Salty ... or The World at Large
Arctic Monkeys - When the Sun Goes Down
Band of Horses - Our Swords
Brand New - The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows
Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up to Dry
Death Cab for Cutie - The New Year
The Killers - Mr. Brightside (I have a soft spot for the original version before they messed up the drums), but if too mainstream, then All the Things That I've Done
Midtown - Just Rock and Roll ... or No Place Feels like Home
My Morning Jacket - Mahgeetah
Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
Taking Back Sunday - My Blue Heaven
Thursday - Paris in Flames
Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa ... or M79


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 36551
Location: Happy Valley Goose Bay, NL
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Can't believe I forgot "Sweetness" by Jimmy Eat World. It was the first song that came on when I started playing NHL 2003 and right off the bat I knew it was something special.

ChiefWampum wrote:
Brand New - The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows

I don't put it at the same level but this is also a good song from either NHL 03 or 04!

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Posts: 2587
pizza_Place: world famous
WayneStylie wrote:
Whoa, bro, our Brothers' anthem to get chicks was always "Hey There, Delilah" Plain White T's. Chaz was the only homo who actually bought the cd but we were always playing that shit on the jukebox to get some ass. It worked like a charm. We never met any real Delilahs because that name is hella weird, brah. But this one chick was named Belinda, at some bar in DeKalb, so Troy would always be like "Hey there, Belinda", like a dumbass. But he still hooked it up, for realsies. Those were the days, my bromide.


This mult is vastly underrated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 468
pizza_Place: Barraco's
Curious Hair wrote:
Can't believe I forgot "Sweetness" by Jimmy Eat World. It was the first song that came on when I started playing NHL 2003 and right off the bat I knew it was something special.

ChiefWampum wrote:
Brand New - The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows

I don't put it at the same level but this is also a good song from either NHL 03 or 04!

One of my favorites, I forgot Sweetness, too. Perhaps I was thinking it was 99, but alas...2001.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 36551
Location: Happy Valley Goose Bay, NL
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
I feel like indie rock really only existed from July 30, 2001 with the release of The Strokes, Is This It, and ended March 6, 2007 with the release of Arcade Fire's Neon Bible.

Between those bookends was truly indie rock qua indie rock.


The Strokes suck but there's merit to your argument because I never felt quite as into following music after '07, though I will say 2017 has been a terrific year.

I was thinking more about this and realized if there's to be a cutoff point in 2007 for the glory days of that decade it would have to be 10/10/07 when everyone downloaded In Rainbows together. That was as close to a shared cultural experience as anyone had.

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:16 pm
Posts: 1354
pizza_Place: My moms grave
Band of Horses - The Great Salt Lake
The Twilight Singers - Forty Dollars
Jets To Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Arcade Fire - Intervention


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 468
pizza_Place: Barraco's
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Band of Horses - The Great Salt Lake
The Twilight Singers - Forty Dollars
Jets To Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Arcade Fire - Intervention

Great to see another Jets to Brazil fan! I didn't include them, because they were 90s :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts: 4869
pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
I feel like indie rock really only existed from July 30, 2001 with the release of The Strokes, Is This It, and ended March 6, 2007 with the release of Arcade Fire's Neon Bible.

Between those bookends was truly indie rock qua indie rock.


The Strokes suck but there's merit to your argument because I never felt quite as into following music after '07, though I will say 2017 has been a terrific year.

I was thinking more about this and realized if there's to be a cutoff point in 2007 for the glory days of that decade it would have to be 10/10/07 when everyone downloaded In Rainbows together. That was as close to a shared cultural experience as anyone had.


Actually I think you had it pegged with the release of that Black Kids album. Consequences were never the same after its release.

_________________
jimmypasta wrote:
I'd make that tiny eyeballed bitch scream: "quick,someone draw me a clit,so I can cum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:30 am
Posts: 2966
pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Two pages and no Phoenix.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts: 4869
pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
ZephMarshack wrote:
Two pages and no Phoenix.


Wait, I forgot about 3rd Planet by Modest Mouse. Best opening track of the 2000s? Best opening track or the 2000s. Fuck. Now I just want to listen to this entire album.

_________________
jimmypasta wrote:
I'd make that tiny eyeballed bitch scream: "quick,someone draw me a clit,so I can cum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 36551
Location: Happy Valley Goose Bay, NL
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Actually I think you had it pegged with the release of that Black Kids album. Consequences were never the same after its release.


I looked up "black kids pitchfork" and found this post I remember reading almost ten years ago: http://www.idolator.com/313517/an-idola ... be-stopped

Quote:
As for his critical evaluation of the band, while the article mostly allows him to turn that dispassionate eye to the larger issue of blog-hype, he still arrives at the conclusion that Black Kids are “a pretty good band with more than its share of blogger-friendly hooks” and “unpolished but immediately likable.” Which is faint, somewhat incoherent praise–what the hell are “blogger-friendly hooks”?–but praise nonetheless.

I realized I read this when I got to this part because I remembered laughing at "blogger-friendly hooks" back when I was immersed in Tom Waits/Frank Zappa/Rachel's/Tortoise/meandering electronic music.

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 36551
Location: Happy Valley Goose Bay, NL
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Wait, I forgot about 3rd Planet by Modest Mouse. Best opening track of the 2000s?

"Everything In Its Right Place," "Neighborhood #1," "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart," "Step Into My Office, Baby," "Dog Days Are Over"?

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:30 am
Posts: 2966
pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Wait, I forgot about 3rd Planet by Modest Mouse. Best opening track of the 2000s?

"Everything In Its Right Place," "Neighborhood #1," "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart," "Step Into My Office, Baby," "Dog Days Are Over"?

"Farewell Transmission"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:16 pm
Posts: 1354
pizza_Place: My moms grave
ChiefWampum wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Band of Horses - The Great Salt Lake
The Twilight Singers - Forty Dollars
Jets To Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Arcade Fire - Intervention

Great to see another Jets to Brazil fan! I didn't include them, because they were 90s :wink:



Ha The Album Orange Rhyming Dictionary was 98 the song was 2000


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:52 pm
Posts: 468
pizza_Place: Barraco's
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Band of Horses - The Great Salt Lake
The Twilight Singers - Forty Dollars
Jets To Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Arcade Fire - Intervention

Great to see another Jets to Brazil fan! I didn't include them, because they were 90s :wink:



Ha The Album Orange Rhyming Dictionary was 98 the song was 2000

Good call - of course! They pulled the ol' Houses of the Holy on us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:56 pm
Posts: 31045
Location: ...
at the drive-in. "one armed scissor". came on my iPod today while at the gym. totally forgot about that one, but was on heavy rotation at poker nights with my friends.

_________________
http://www.thereviewbin.com
gregorslist.org


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7720
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The shutting down of OiNK was a huge moment.

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 36551
Location: Happy Valley Goose Bay, NL
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Shit, did I totally forget what a masterpiece "La Ritournelle" was?

_________________
Molly Lambert wrote:
The future holds the possibility to be great or terrible, and since it has not yet occurred it remains simultaneously both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm
Posts: 2144
pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
Shit, did I totally forget what a masterpiece "La Ritournelle" was?

Interesting. Not something I am used to listening to, and I wish the lyrics were more extensive here, but this is worth a few more listens.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group