pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Lynne
Harrison
Dylan
Petty
Orbison

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:05 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I'm surprised at Orbison being last on both those ballots... he changed the game in the 60s.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
As always in any list , the dude that was in the Beatles goes on top.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Lucky Wilbury
Nelson Wilbury
Charlie T. Wilbury, Jr.
Otis Wilbury
Lefty Wilbury

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:32 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
They were ok when they came out. A nice novelty. As with most things music it is personal preference. You have rock n roll HOFers all and you can't go too wrong in your ranking.

I go Harrison, Petty, Lynne, Orbison and Dylan.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Dylan
Harrison
Orbison
Petty
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Harrison
Orbison
Lynne
Petty
Dylan

Petty really didn't sound tuneful on those albumns. Not sure why. Dylan sucks and always will as a vocalist. Harrison clearly seems to be the vocal leader of the band and really the only one playing a difficult musical part, although I'm sure Lynne did a ton of work behind the scenes. Petty's playing bass in the band, that's kinda cool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
As always in any list , the dude that was in the Beatles goes on top.

He's the top in a Beatles list, so he has to be top in this band too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:39 am 
Site Admin

City of Fools wrote:
Harrison
Orbison
Lynne
Petty
Dylan

Petty really didn't sound tuneful on those albumns. Not sure why. Dylan sucks and always will as a vocalist. Harrison clearly seems to be the vocal leader of the band and really the only one playing a difficult musical part, although I'm sure Lynne did a ton of work behind the scenes. Petty's playing bass in the band, that's kinda cool

I was just ranking them according to their weight as artists. I'm pretty sure Lynne was the most important guy in the group.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Lynne
Petty
Harrison
Orbison
Dylan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
City of Fools wrote:
Harrison
Orbison
Lynne
Petty
Dylan

That's my list. I do think Petty is a strong four-man, though.

I never connected with Dylan. Baby Boomers pretty much destroyed this country, but their worst crime--what God will be pissed at them for--is their repeated deification of Bob Dylan. (Read that with a little hyperbole, por favor.) (About Dylan, not the Baby Boomers.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
newper wrote:
I'm surprised at Orbison being last on both those ballots... he changed the game in the 60s.

As a kid, I used to always wonder who this "Roar Orbinson" guy who was always singing for the lonely was.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
IMU wrote:
Lynne
Petty
Harrison
Orbison
Dylan

This is the correct answer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
City of Fools wrote:
Harrison
Orbison
Lynne
Petty
Dylan

This.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
People obviously remember George Harrison and the Beatles. He may have been the most interesting of the group. Tom Petty is still around, having performed the best set ever in the Super Bowl. Full Moon Fever was without question his best. Roy Orbison is a legend in his own right. I was on vacation in Wisconsin last week, up in Minoqua, and I walk into a gas station on HWY 51 and what do I see? Roy Orbison on the cashier's computer monitor as a screen saver.

But does anyone really care about Dylan anymore? He was supposed to be revolutionary, but I never really dug him. Though I admit I do like, "Like a Rolling Stone". I honestly couldn't name another Dylan song other than "Along the Watchtower", but only because Hendrix covered it. Of the other artists from the Wilbury's, I could name many of their songs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dignified Rube wrote:
People remember George Harrison and the Beatles.

Yes, they recall this group.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:13 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
In my opinion, Harrison peaked w/ the Wilburys. Maybe peak is not a good word, but he made his mark. He wasn't 2nd fiddle to anyone during those years, even the 3 other old band mates.

Petty was in his prime during those years too. I'm a big fan of his. He doesn't get enough credit. He's an icon more than the so called music business promoted icons we have forced onto us (bono-er).

The other 3 were good but to me played supporting roles.

We will probably never see 4/5 guys like this get together again. They put their ego's at the door and just jammed for the love of music.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:14 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
People obviously remember George Harrison and the Beatles. He may have been the most interesting of the group. Tom Petty is still around, having performed the best set ever in the Super Bowl. Full Moon Fever was without question his best. Roy Orbison is a legend in his own right. I was on vacation in Wisconsin last week, up in Minoqua, and I walk into a gas station on HWY 51 and what do I see? Roy Orbison on the cashier's computer monitor as a screen saver.

But does anyone really care about Dylan anymore? He was supposed to be revolutionary, but I never really dug him. Though I admit I do like, "Like a Rolling Stone". I honestly couldn't name another Dylan song other than "Along the Watchtower", but only because Hendrix covered it. Of the other artists from the Wilbury's, I could name many of their songs.

Ya i never got Dylan. Maybe it was more a NY thing. I never liked the Beat-less either. I sometimes thing people become a fan of this band because of the music media keeps forcing them onto us. I get they revolutionized music, but when I tell people I'm not a Beatles fan they look at me like I'm some kind of Communist.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 pm 

tommy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Baby Boomers pretty much destroyed this country, but their worst crime--what God will be pissed at them for--is their repeated deification of Bob Dylan. (Read that with a little hyperbole, por favor.) (About Dylan, not the Baby Boomers.)

+1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
HawaiiYou wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Ya i never got Dylan. Maybe it was more a NY thing. I never liked the Beat-less either. I sometimes thing people become a fan of this band because of the music media keeps forcing them onto us. I get they revolutionized music, but when I tell people I'm not a Beatles fan they look at me like I'm some kind of Communist.

I know Elvis is considered by many to be one of the grandfathers of Rock and Roll, and there is stuff of his I like, though I think he was too full of himself. But I would take Johnny Cash or even Waylon Jennings as pioneers over Dylan any day of the week. I never listened to a lot of Johnny Cash until recently, but I think he was great. So before people tear down those Robert E. Lee monuments, give a listen to "God Bless Robert E. Lee".

I care for George Harrison's writings in the Beatles as much as, if not more than, those of McCartney and Lennon. I find a song like "I am the Walrus" totally irritating, whereas who could not like "Here Comes the Sun."? The strictly acoustic version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is tremendous. You can hear it below off Anthology.

As far as American artists, Tom Petty is in a class by himself. Other than Van Halen, who had three very good albums with 1984, OU812 and 5150, there has been no one better since the 80s. Van Halen songs can be put in a capsule for that time, mainly because of the syntheisizers and Eddie's flanger sound of the guitar, while I think Petty's songs are more timeless and more pure rock. It's no wonder that two Beatles befriended him.

As a group, I only like "Handle with Care" from the Willburys, but it's a special song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJDJs9dumZI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:43 am 
Site Admin

A lot of Dylan-hating dumbasses in this thread. I can't think of a more important figure in popular American music than Bob Dylan. My wife always complains about his voice which entirely misses the point. It's about his voice, not his voice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
A lot of Dylan-hating dumbasses in this thread. I can't think of a more important figure in popular American music than Bob Dylan. My wife always complains about his voice which entirely misses the point. It's about his voice, not his voice.

Probably the most prolific and best songwriter of the 20th century. He wasn't/isn't a great musician and his singing voice is unique at
best, and a trainwreck at worst. But he changed a lot of the rules of song writing and popular music. He wasn't trying to make catchy
3 minute songs after he broke through, he was trying to shed light on a lot of different issues going on in the world and make people
think about what was going on around them in the 60s and wrote a lot of heartfelt music that told tremendous stories in the later years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's fine, but much like The Beatles, I don't want to hear it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's sad,but expected from a guy who doesn't enjoy Kevin James.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:08 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's sad,but expected from a guy who doesn't enjoy Kevin James.

I can respect someone's contribution to music history without liking the music itself.

Kevin James is just awful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:12 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Nah, you're not trying to hear it. You're trying to listen.

Dylan is meant to be heard.

Tangled Up in Blue is a better story than most films and novels.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
rogers park bryan wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Why are you being bossy? The man said he doesn't like it.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:25 am 

pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Why are you being bossy? The man said he doesn't like it.

#BossBabe #WorkFromHome #RodanAndFields

Im just stating my opinion. I dont care what Boyd does.