It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:39 am 

Sheryl Crow was particularly awful at q101 twisted christmas one year. Korn/Weezer/Violent Femmes were good though

Saw the Counting Crows at the Aragon. Horribe. Just everything was bad. And I liked both albums they had put out at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I went with my wife to see Barry Manilow a couple of years ago, and it was clear that in addition to being way past his prime, he probably put as little into the sound and video as possible. He even hinted that there was only one reason to be there ("Guys, I know you're wondering why you came tonight, but you'll thank me later").

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Counting Crows, I went as a favor to a buddy, at the Riv...the best part was they only played like 45 minutes.

Lou Reed, following Los Lobos at the World...Los Lobos were cool, upbeat, fun. Lou came on and was absolutely depressing, told a story about a little boy...who commits suicide...that show was brutal.

Dylan and Tom Petty at Alpine...Petty was meh...Dylan was hot garbage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Motley Crue's final performance at Tinley Park for their final tour was absolute garbage. Saw them so many times over the years, and they cashed it in on their final tour. Alice Cooper opening for them blew them off the stage.

But the worst would be Two Live Crew. Tried to see them at Cheetah's - a strip club in Windsor, Ontario. Paid $15.00 to get in and waited for 3 hours. They were so drugged out they never came out, and we ended up leaving.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:21 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Pretenders and Neil Young at the World or whatever its called in Tinley. The Pretenders raced thru a couple songs, and guitars were out of tune.

I know Neil has hundreds if not thousands of songs to make a setlist from, but I figured I would hear at least a couple of his hits. The only songs I recognized during his entire set was "Harvest Moon" and "Cowgirl In The Sand." He sat with an acoustic guitar for most of the show. It was the single most boring nite of live music I've never attended.

Duck Dunn being his bass guitar player was the best part of the nite for me.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Worst opener: Mindless Self Indulgence - Opened for Korn back in 2000. Crystal Method on Family Values 1999 at Rosemont is a close second. David Lee Roth opening for Bad Company in 99 is up there, too.

Worst Headliner: Ozzy at Ozzfest 2000, Offspring at Q101 Twisted 2000, Bon Jovi at The World in 2001.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Saw a lot of shows at the Metro long ago due to a friend with connections. We'd go to shows just for something to do. The funniest one I saw was Fastball. They were the "headliner."

They played their 7 songs. Then they played 3 covers. Then they re-played their two "hit" songs again!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
SuperMario wrote:
Motley Crue's final performance at Tinley Park for their final tour was absolute garbage. Saw them so many times over the years, and they cashed it in on their final tour. Alice Cooper opening for them blew them off the stage.

But the worst would be Two Live Crew. Tried to see them at Cheetah's - a strip club in Windsor, Ontario. Paid $15.00 to get in and waited for 3 hours. They were so drugged out they never came out, and we ended up leaving.

So many mistakes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
SpiralStairs wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

So many mistakes.

Yeah, that summed up that trip.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
Counting Crows, I went as a favor to a buddy, at the Riv...the best part was they only played like 45 minutes.
I have a limited concert resume but Counting Crows was also horrible when I saw them. I don't know if he just sucks live, was on drugs, or just didn't care and was collecting a check. It was a co-headliner with Goo Goo Dolls who were much better so I can't blame the sound or venue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It was a co-headliner with Goo Goo Dolls who were much better

This sentence almost never applied to anything except, maybe Nickelback...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Kenny G @ Poplar Creek in 1988. it's a long story, but that was 90 minutes of pure hell.

The Lemonheads at the ISU Bone Student Center Ballroom. Evan Dando was so plastered he could barely stand up. I honestly do not know how the guy finished the show.

Iron Maiden on the Fear Of the Dark Tour. Shitty Album. Bruce was completely mailing it in left the band after the tour and There wasn't even enough people in attendance to fill the Pavillion at Alpine Valley. Fortunately, I've seen them many times with much better results.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Killer V wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
The entire 1996 Q101 Jamboree at the World was a disaster.
Rain, shitty sound everywhere, and out of the 25K people there, I run into my girlfriend of 4 years who had broken up with me earlier that month. She wouldn't even talk to me. I got shitfaced and crybaby-ish and it was an all around awful day.

Was that the one with Bush & Sheryl Crow?

No, the one I went to had Afghan Whigs (awesome) Filter, (decent) Stabbing Westward, Korn (Terrible) Foo Fighters (terrible) and I don't think we stuck around for No Doubt. I'm probably forgetting a few bands, there were 2 stages....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
shirtless driver wrote:
Killer V wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
The entire 1996 Q101 Jamboree at the World was a disaster.
Rain, shitty sound everywhere, and out of the 25K people there, I run into my girlfriend of 4 years who had broken up with me earlier that month. She wouldn't even talk to me. I got shitfaced and crybaby-ish and it was an all around awful day.

Was that the one with Bush & Sheryl Crow?

No, the one I went to had Afghan Whigs (awesome) Filter, (decent) Stabbing Westward, Korn (Terrible) Foo Fighters (terrible) and I don't think we stuck around for No Doubt. I'm probably forgetting a few bands, there were 2 stages....

That’s right the Afghan Whigs redeemed themselves. Dulli rarely puts on a bad show.

Lou Reed Lollapalooza. Holy moly was it bad and completely disrespectful on his part. He literally played feedback for 10 minutes preventing Band of Horses to go on which later caused a cluster when Band of Horses and Janes addiction we’re playing at the same time. I am a pretty big Lou fan but that was awfully rude and I get he has status but it was still real hacky. I guess he didn’t want to be outdone by Kanye.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
wdelaney72 wrote:
Kenny G @ Poplar Creek in 1988. it's a long story, but that was 90 minutes of pure hell.

Good god man.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Worst opener: Mindless Self Indulgence - Opened for Korn back in 2000. Crystal Method on Family Values 1999 at Rosemont is a close second. David Lee Roth opening for Bad Company in 99 is up there, too.

Worst Headliner: Ozzy at Ozzfest 2000, Offspring at Q101 Twisted 2000, Bon Jovi at The World in 2001.

I'll tell ya... ozzy in 04 was bad too... but fucking Judas priest kicked so much ass just before he came on it might be rob halfords fault.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Back circa 00-02, maybe 03 at the latest, I wanted to see my drum and bass (producer) heroes, Ed rush and optical. It was a hell of a lineup... Ed Rush & Optical, Swift and DJ Pascal from the True Playaz crew, and the "legendary" founder of good looking / looking good records (a subset of moving shadow IIRC) LTJ Bukem (he was #2 on the flier under Ed rush & optical.

Ed Rush and optical got sick or sonething, so LTJ Bukem ends up headlining. Welp I gotta admit the crowd was wack as fuck. Put it this way, one girl was "dancing" via bending completely over forward and holding the tips of her toes. I shit you not. The crowd was a disgrace, but hey you know there's still a few of us "too cool to dance" cats standing around off to the sides ready for some world class drum and bass DJing so let's have it

So even LTJ Bukem comes out he sees the crowd and visibly is like WTF?! He fidgets with his trademark big gold framed glasses and promptly starts a record, waits 2mins, tosses on a second and mixes it as fast as possible (like 30secs) then walks off in a huff backstage. 2-3 mins later he comes back out, grabs another record, does the quickest "mix" possible, then goes backstage again for another 2-3mins, comes out and does another quick mix, and goes backstage ad infinitum.

Also when he actually graced us with his presence I remember him just str8up leering out into the crowd and shaking his in disgust... The look on his face = why I went "fuck you and your gold glasses" and walked out ~10-15mins into his set, and have never listened to a LTJ Bukem track or mux ever since.... FUCK YOU, DO YOUR JOB ASSHOLE!!!!!!