It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Just heard the WBMX callsign at the top of the hour. Wonder how they'll market them now.

It's a slap in the face to potential listeners above the age of 40. The real WBMX had nothing to do with hip hop

I'm sure there was some hip hop near the end of the BMX run on 102.3, but what I remember as a teenager in the late 70s and early 80s was a good mix of Motown/Philly/Stax, a little bit of crossover stuff (I thought that Michael McDonald was black for at least a year until I saw the One Step Closer LP at Rose Records) with disco thrown in mostly in the evenings.

You need to go back in time and start watching What's Happening!! Great show.

"You don't know me, but I'm your third couuuuu-sin."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Which Doobie do you be?
One of my favorite episodes.
Back when bootlegging concerts was still a major societal ill in the post-Watts riots Los Angeles....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:14 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Inching along but the library still needs to open up a bit more. Get more classic B96 cuts in there -- just go down the hall and take the "Booty Call" CD off the shelf.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
It was one song (What a Fool Believes) that was being played on a station where every other artist was black. And I was still in high school. Not much of a stretch to assume that every singer was black, there wasn't fucking Google then.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
It's commercial free this weekend and I heard outkast luniz snoop Eminem Twista and others. Great background music!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:25 am 

Glad to hear about this. Added it to the online streams that I can listen to.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Still too much replay. Running errands on Saturday and Big Pimpin played twice within 2.5 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Really enjoying listening to Keith Sweat's Twisted and En Vogue music once again. Even K-Ci's remake of Bobby Womack's If You Think You're Lonely Now brings back memories.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I was late to it but that's all I've listened to for weeks. My kids like it too. They don't even mention Fred and Angie in the morning now.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Its too slow jam-ey

Not slow jammy enough! Where are "On Bended Knee," "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss," "Sukiyaki," "I Can Love You Like That," and "Kiss from a Rose"? Or THE slow-dance song of my middle school years, "All My Life" by K-Ci and JoJo?

Finally heard the bolded this weekend but omitting a Boyz II Men song that was was #1 on the charts and I swear was in the heaviest of heavy rotation on B96, I don't get.

I think spmack made a joke the other day about this station playing Ja Rule all day and he wasn't kidding. I also heard two Jay-Z songs separated by only one non-Jay-Z song. STOP THAT.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Ed Lover on in the mornings?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:00 am 

It was one song (What a Fool Believes) that was being played on a station where every other artist was black. And I was still in high school. Not much of a stretch to assume that every singer was black, there wasn't fucking Google then.

In 1983, many believed that Madonna was Black. At least until MTV "discovered" her. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:23 am 

Nas wrote:
Ed Lover on in the mornings?

I was always a fan of his show when he was on SiriusXM Backspin. Not sure how good it will be due to him having to be filtered on terestial radio.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 am 

He seems okay so far but his co-host is an airhead. I thought it was Kathy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:54 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
He seems okay so far but his co-host is an airhead. I thought it was Kathy.

Goff and Kathy in the mornings!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Over-under on Twisted by Keith Sweat gotta be 5x daily

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:57 pm 

UPTOWN FUNK?!?!?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:16 pm 

Hey, there's "Show Me Love," they figured it out.

EDIT:
Curious Hair wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Its too slow jam-ey

Not slow jammy enough! Where are "On Bended Knee," "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss," "Sukiyaki," "I Can Love You Like That," and "Kiss from a Rose"? Or THE slow-dance song of my middle school years, "All My Life" by K-Ci and JoJo?

Finally heard the bolded this weekend but omitting a Boyz II Men song that was was #1 on the charts and I swear was in the heaviest of heavy rotation on B96, I don't get.

Hey, there it is, finally.

It would be awesome if they worked the entire circa-summer-1995 playlist of B96 into the rotation. I mean, I can listen to all that stuff on my own, but I want other people to get to listen to it. Golden age of "rhythmic top 40" or whatever we called it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:38 am 

104.3 Jams: Chicago's #1 home for throwbacks

you used to call me on my cell phone...

Well, guess they milked this one dry.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:17 am 

They've canninalized the hell out of WGCI'S former base. So much for on air salaries.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, I need their playlist to be at least... 15 years old? They use a loose definition.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 am 

A lot of people used to make the same mistake about Teena Marie. Motown actually hid her race for about a year or two because they didn't want to offend their African American listeners. I don't if I actually made the same mistake about Michael McDonald but I can see where someone would.

In high we made the same mistake about Color Me Badd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:31 am 

IMU wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, I need their playlist to be at least... 15 years old? They use a loose definition.

2004 and back sounds about right, yeah. I thought they were cutting it close with Soulja Boy, then really close with Rihanna's stuff off Loud, and then lost the plot completely with "Hotline Bling."

I'm surprised they don't play more Boyz II Men. They were huge in the '90s but seem like they were lost to time once the Backstreet Boys and N*Sync broke out a few years later.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:49 pm 

Maybe 25% on topic, but here's an article from the September '95 Billboard about B96 slowly but surely abandoning Party Radio for a more broad-based top 40 format. I know "Only Wanna Be With You" was getting B96 airplay by the end of my listening days, but don't remember how weird I found it, if I did at all. I know I don't remember Sophie B. Hawkins amidst Real McCoy and TLC, but I guess she was if they say so.

Quote:
PD Cavanah Sees Success By Broadening B96's List

WBBM-FM (B96) Chicago has been one busy "B" in recent months. First, B96 PD Todd Cavanah began playing some pop records that his station wouldn't have touched before. Then, he assembled his second new morning show in a year.

With these changes made, Cavanah can say he's enthusiastic about his radio station again, and that B96, which was off slightly (4.0 -3.9) in the spring Arbitron, is moving in the right direction again.

Rhythmic top 40 B96 had faced a number of challenges over the last year, ranging from the advent of a new hip-hop outlet, WEJM (106 Jamz), to the controversy-laden departure of longtime morning hosts Eddie and JoBo. Their replacements, T.J. and Wild Bill, never really caught on with listeners. Rather than go outside the market again, Cavanah teamed longtime night jock George McFly and late-nighter Frankie Rodriguez.

Cavanah now realizes that "T.J. and Wild Bill were basically a blind date. They didn't know the market, so we had to teach them everything. We knew it was a longshot, and I'm not saying we would never do something like that again. It's definitely a lot easier using a couple of guys who've been here for a while. They're loose, they're real, and they already seem to be clicking, for a team that never worked together before.

"I feel we're in an up cycle right now. We [fell] into a down cycle when we lost our morning show. At the time, I felt that everything on the station sounded bad. Not that it really did, but when you lose a powerful morning show, whether the rest of the station is on track or not, it just doesn't feel right."

Musically, B96, which was one of the last bastions of hardcore non-R&B dance music, has broadened a little to include more hip-hop and select pop-sounding product, such as the Rembrandts and Sophie B. Hawkins, that appeals to a wider audience than just the pop and adult clusters.

"The rhythmic females who are into B96 are also into these records," Cavanah says. "We think there was a hole in the market that wasn't being served. I believe we've found that hole, and I predict big success for us.

"We've definitely been through that 'too-niched' cycle, where we thought we couldn't play certain records because they didn't sound like us ... I've seen [modern rock] radio now niche themselves into a corner, leaving a lot of records open for me ... When [modern rock] WKQX (Q101) first signed on, they played more rhythmic music, like Psychedelic Furs and New Order. The more pop-sounding stuff they're no longer playing." As is the case with other mainstream top 40
outlets, Cavanah grabs a lot of songs that the modern rockers feel are too pop for them to play.

"Our No. 1 priority is 18-34 women; that's where the money is. I want to make my [general station manager] Paul Agase's life easier. We also want
to be No. 1 in teens. We don't want to become too adult or too safe, but we want to daypart accordingly and research the right [audience]," he says.

Here's a sample 3 p.m. hour on B96: Max-A-Million, "Sexual Healing"; Selena, "I Could Fall In Love"; New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"; Cynthia, "Change On Me"; Janet Jackson, "Runaway"; Gloria Gaynor, "I Will Survive"; TLC, "Waterfalls"; K-7, "Move It Like This"; Fun Factory, "Close To You "; Blessid Union Of Souls, "I Believe"; Coolio, "Gangsta's Paradise "; and Whitney Houston, "I'm Every Woman."

[edited, boring]

Because of his increased managerial responsibilities, Cavanah doesn't spend as much time as he used to listening to music. Music director Erik Bradley, he says, "really understands the market, knows what our goals are, and who our target audience is. I really feel confident in his abilities." The station doesn't do any TV advertising whatsoever, according to Cavanah. "We find the grass-roots approach works much better for us. We have our own satellite vehicle that can broadcast anywhere in the world."

For now, the programmers seems quite content. "Everybody around me is a superstar, and I love it. I don't care if anybody recognizes me or nominates me for anything -all I care about is that I'm happy and my station is successful," Cavanah says. "I love B96. That's what makes my job easy ... If I ever get tired of this or get burned out on it, I'll get out and do something else. Right now, I really enjoy this format, and I'll continue to corrupt the youth of America as best I can."

Notes in reverse order:

- Cavanah is still running B96, albeit into the ground, to this day. Maybe he should get tired of it.

- B96 had a TV show on channel 26 at this time. I've posted clips of it here and everything. You don't call that television advertising?

- I remember that they really kicked the flashbacks into high gear when they moved George and Frankie to mornings (IIRC, the morning show was cut by an hour and 9-10 was just "The Flashback Hour") but I can't believe I heard "Bizarre Love Triangle" and it didn't make an instant impression on me. oh well, got there eventually

- I'll give you New Order for club hits, but the PsychFurs?

- lol, whom amongst us has not wanted to "find the hole" in "rhythmic females"?

- It's funny that the T.J. and Wild Bill era is what management considered the station's nadir and a reason to start dumbing down the whole format when that was the time I remember most fondly, if only because of childhood nostalgia and that being the time I randomly happened to be there for. Trying to be objective here, I certainly think it's more interesting as a music fan to have a playlist that goes deeper on a cross-section of genres than one that's simply a slave to the charts. The industry-killing paradox, of course, is that More Music That Sounds Like Music I Already Like is exactly the direction you should be going if you're even dreaming of contending with Spotify, but now more than ever, you can't play a song people don't already know because they might [organ stab] change the station. And then they'll never ever come back as long as you live; anyone who ever has to cease listening to the radio for any reason whatsoever is your personal failure.

I'd love to dig through the archives and find more reporting on Chicago radio like this. This is interesting to me, but of course, I'm weird.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:29 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
312player wrote:
Over-under on Twisted by Keith Sweat gotta be 5x daily

I've only heard the remix on there. Very disappointed.