It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:38 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
I could never get past the thin sounding drums of Husker. It's like the aural equivalent of standing water.

Like I said, I was never a big fan of Hüsker and I wasn't really sure why. They were a band you were supposed to like. I don't care for Mould's voice. It's obvious that he has some strong melodies in mind but he's physically incapable of executing them. And I guess their earnestness vis-a-vis the clownishness of the Replacements was off-putting. I was a clown myself. So it was hard to dig Serious Bob. But I didn't realize how weak the drum sound was until you posted this and then I heard one of their songs on Sirius yesterday.

I think the Replacements are my biggest hurdle to Husker Du. There's no law that says I can only love one or the other, but something about the extent to which I love the Replacements seems to preclude feeling much of anything for Husker Du. And then one of their best songs was improved upon as "1979," the background noise to every bus ride and car trip I took in 5th grade.

We're 40 years down the road (40 years!) and I don't necessarily think it's like this now, but at the time if you talked about Hüsker Dü you talked about the Replacements and vice versa. And for me, there was no comparison. The Replacements were the greatest band I ever heard.

I'm going to expose how much of a Boomer I really am. I'm a punk rock guy, but I have to admit that I liked the idea of punk rock more than the actual music. I would listen to Fast & Loud on WNUR religiously every Saturday night and some of the songs were funny, many had a lot of power, but none of it was anything I would really want to listen to while driving around. I still like Zeppelin and the Stones. It was the ethic and the feel and the possibilities of punk rock that I found appealing. And you could tell right from the start that the Replacements weren't really a punk rock band. They were pretending to be one, but I knew they were something else. Westerberg could write and put across a melody. When Stink came out it seemed like a regression. And it was. But then came Hootenany, the weirdest most wonderful record I had ever heard.

Anyway, with regard to "1979" I assume you mean "What's Going On", one of the better Hüsker Dü songs. "I WAS TALKING WHEN I SHOULD HAVE BEEN LISTENING!" But I think Billy Boy actually cadged the lick for "1979" from his friends The Frogs with their permission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYRto3kmtQo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
I could never get past the thin sounding drums of Husker. It's like the aural equivalent of standing water.

Like I said, I was never a big fan of Hüsker and I wasn't really sure why. They were a band you were supposed to like. I don't care for Mould's voice. It's obvious that he has some strong melodies in mind but he's physically incapable of executing them. And I guess their earnestness vis-a-vis the clownishness of the Replacements was off-putting. I was a clown myself. So it was hard to dig Serious Bob. But I didn't realize how weak the drum sound was until you posted this and then I heard one of their songs on Sirius yesterday.

I think the Replacements are my biggest hurdle to Husker Du. There's no law that says I can only love one or the other, but something about the extent to which I love the Replacements seems to preclude feeling much of anything for Husker Du. And then one of their best songs was improved upon as "1979," the background noise to every bus ride and car trip I took in 5th grade.

We're 40 years down the road (40 years!) and I don't necessarily think it's like this now, but at the time if you talked about Hüsker Dü you talked about the Replacements and vice versa. And for me, there was no comparison. The Replacements were the greatest band I ever heard.

I'm going to expose how much of a Boomer I really am. I'm a punk rock guy, but I have to admit that I liked the idea of punk rock more than the actual music. I would listen to Fast & Loud on WNUR religiously every Saturday night and some of the songs were funny, many had a lot of power, but none of it was anything I would really want to listen to while driving around. I still like Zeppelin and the Stones. It was the ethic and the feel and the possibilities of punk rock that I found appealing. And you could tell right from the start that the Replacements weren't really a punk rock band. They were pretending to be one, but I knew they were something else. Westerberg could write and put across a melody. When Stink came out it seemed like a regression. And it was. But then came Hootenany, the weirdest most wonderful record I had ever heard.

Anyway, with regard to "1979" I assume you mean "What's Going On", one of the better Hüsker Dü songs. "I WAS TALKING WHEN I SHOULD HAVE BEEN LISTENING!" But I think Billy Boy actually cadged the lick for "1979" from his friends The Frogs with their permission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYRto3kmtQo

I think the Replacements divergence from the Punk genre moves beyond aesthetics. Politically, their lyrics often focused on their disappointment in being unable to fulfill their dreams, which generally seemed influenced by--if not explicitly aligned with--conventional notions of individualism and success. Westerberg never sought to revolt against the system; rather, he alternately reveled and wallowed in his/the band's inability to "break through" within the confines of the system. He could thus never be described as an anti-systemic thinker but is instead the poet of working class abjection.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Wow, TM going all cerebral and shit!

https://youtu.be/eh60xe0ff3E

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
I think the Replacements divergence from the Punk genre moves beyond aesthetics. Politically, their lyrics often focused on their disappointment in being unable to fulfill their dreams, which generally seemed influenced by--if not explicitly aligned with--conventional notions of individualism and success. Westerberg never sought to revolt against the system; rather, he alternately reveled and wallowed in his/the band's inability to "break through" within the confines of the system. He could thus never be described as an anti-systemic thinker but is instead the poet of working class abjection.

DIY is a critical component of the punk rock ethic. The Replacements weren't a DIY operation. Ironically, Westerberg displays far more of a punk ethic today than he ever did when he was ostensibly a punk rock musician. But maybe it's not really ironic. In spite of being careerist in a way that was antithetical to punk, he clearly couldn't escape the influence of the times or the scene.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:59 am 

Took this from their wiki. It's Weterberg describing the band when they first started out. I had forgotten Tommy was only 12 when they first started jamming.

Quote:
"They didn't even know what punk was. They didn't like punk. Chris had hair down to his shoulders," Westerberg chortled to an interviewer. But after the band members discovered first-generation English punk bands like the Clash, the Jam, the Damned and the Buzzcocks, Dogbreath changed its name to the Impediments and played a drunken performance without Tommy Stinson at a church hall gig in June 1980. After being banned from the venue for disorderly behavior, they changed the name to the Replacements. In an unpublished memoir, Mars later explained the band's choice of name: "Like maybe the main act doesn't show, and instead the crowd has to settle for an earful of us dirtbags....It seemed to sit just right with us, accurately describing our collective 'secondary' social esteem".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Thread made me realize I've probably listened to Camper Van Beethoven's Tusk more than the original and more than any other Camper Van Beethoven album. Not sure which I should be more embarrassed about, but it's a good album even if they were just screwing around!