It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Monster Ballads
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:
I didn't consider Guns 'n Roses a hair band.

RFDC wrote:
I do not consider Guns N Roses a hair band.

Those pussies wore makeup. And not cool makeup like the New York Dolls or Kiss. Just regular femme makeup and hair spray. Definitely a hair band.

They did at the very beginning when being marketed and such. But that disappeared really quickly as they found their grove.

But as always this stuff is all relative.

I was never a fan of Gumps and Poseurs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Hell even Pantera was a hair band for a minute.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

RFDC wrote:

Those pussies wore makeup. And not cool makeup like the New York Dolls or Kiss. Just regular femme makeup and hair spray. Definitely a hair band.

They did at the very beginning when being marketed and such. But that disappeared really quickly as they found their grove.

That is fine. Just shows even the best around here have bad opinions. 8)

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:

RFDC wrote:

That is fine. Just shows even the best around here have bad opinions. 8)

Yeah, criticize GnR for being pricks....you could also argue their body of work was short.
all that being side, Appetite for Destruction is 12 songs of rock greatness.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:29 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Yeah, criticize GnR for being pricks....you could also argue their body of work was short.

Absolutely.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
RFDC wrote:
Yep. In the moment I hated grunge. As I have gotten older I have grown to tolerate it a little more and admit there is some good stuff mixed in it. But it was never fun like the hair bands. I miss those days. But I guess it just means we are getting older :(

After Cherry Pie we should have seen a correction coming. I actually liked the stripped down guitar sounds so I liked a lot of it but some of those guys thought they were curing cancer or something. I think Eddie Vedder berated an audience for daring to applaud after they played "Black" telling them don't cheer because you don't know where I was in my life when I wrote that or something...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:34 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Yep. In the moment I hated grunge. As I have gotten older I have grown to tolerate it a little more and admit there is some good stuff mixed in it. But it was never fun like the hair bands. I miss those days. But I guess it just means we are getting older :(

After Cherry Pie we should have seen a correction coming. I actually liked the stripped down guitar sounds so I liked a lot of it but some of those guys thought they were curing cancer or something. I think Eddie Vedder berated an audience for daring to applaud after they played "Black" telling them don't cheer because you don't know where I was in my life when I wrote that or something...

Yeah it was kind of like going from the old days of the SCORE where it was fun and goofy to the Bernsie SCORE where things are SERIOUS business

Cherry Pie was brutal :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

BigW72 wrote:

I have more respect for the record now than I did at the time. I was a real punk rock guy at the time it came out. I dismissed them as a hair band. I know they weren't exactly that. I had a lot of contempt for that whole L.A. scene they came out of. Gazzarri's. Pay to play. I also resented that they were ugly but still got mad pussy. Hey ladies, we're as ugly as they are!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

I have more respect for the record now than I did at the time. I was a real punk rock guy at the time it came out. I dismissed them as a hair band. I know they weren't exactly that. I had a lot of contempt for that whole L.A. scene they came out of. Gazzarri's. Pay to play. I also resented that they were ugly but still got mad pussy. Hey ladies, we're as ugly as they are!

:lol:

I think it is natural for people who love a certain era of music to hate the next thing that comes out. Like we were talking about Grunge. I hated it at the time, but can admit now that some of the stuff is good.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Hell even Pantera was a hair band for a minute.

for four albums...that nobody listened to!

Metal Magic (1983)
Projects in the Jungle (1984)
I Am the Night (1985)
Power Metal (1988)

I think a power ballad has to have some power behind it. Patience has whistling and grandpa guitars.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

BigW72 wrote:

Best debut album ever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm 

RFDC wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Do I know how you are all are gay? :)

OK....I'm kind of glad I missed this thread last night. RR pretty much just covered it.

Sadly, this was at it's peak during my Jr. and Sr years of high school. Fucking awful. My one friend put it best.....most bands had one for every album to drive sales. The line of integrity was they couldn't release it as the first single....that's just too easy. It had to wait until the 2nd or 3rd single / video from the album.

Pretty unfair to put Tesla in this category....they never had the glam image at all. Their music was and is still very credible.

Every Rose Has It's Thorn has to be the reigning champion. Funny I think REO Speedwagon's "Keep On Loving You" was the first one.

THANK God, this is over....complete garbage. I don't mind some of them, but by 1989 it was pretty fucking nauseating with every band putting one out.

Since you are one of my favorite posters and a member of Team Spaulding I am just going to pretend this post does not exist.

There was plenty of good music....I'm just saying the Power Ballad and entire hair band scene got really stale by 1990. it was all pretty overdone. Plenty of bands I liked back then....Cindereall, Skid Row, Tesla, Ratt, and Motley Crue.

Warrant, Steelheart, Slaughter, Winger.....it was all pretty much recycled by that time.

One band that came around too late, but was really, really good was Lillian Axe. Their first record was produced by Robbin Crosby of Ratt. I saw them a few times back in the day at the Thirsty Whale (RIP).

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

That's totally understood. You couldn't help but be surrounded by it all back then. My bands were Maiden and Megadeth....problem is theose bands were pretty much chick-repellants. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
It lasted into the until Smells Like Teen Spirit was being played at high school dances, but I like to think that And Justice For All was the beginning of the end of hair metal.

7th Son of a 7th Son tour...Iron Maiden with Megadeth opening. Alpine Valley, 1988. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Do I know how you are all are gay? :)

OK....I'm kind of glad I missed this thread last night. RR pretty much just covered it.

Sadly, this was at it's peak during my Jr. and Sr years of high school. Fucking awful. My one friend put it best.....most bands had one for every album to drive sales. The line of integrity was they couldn't release it as the first single....that's just too easy. It had to wait until the 2nd or 3rd single / video from the album.

Pretty unfair to put Tesla in this category....they never had the glam image at all. Their music was and is still very credible.

Every Rose Has It's Thorn has to be the reigning champion. Funny I think REO Speedwagon's "Keep On Loving You" was the first one.

THANK God, this is over....complete garbage. I don't mind some of them, but by 1989 it was pretty fucking nauseating with every band putting one out.

Since you are one of my favorite posters and a member of Team Spaulding I am just going to pretend this post does not exist.

There was plenty of good music....I'm just saying the Power Ballad and entire hair band scene got really stale by 1990. it was all pretty overdone. Plenty of bands I liked back then....Cindereall, Skid Row, Tesla, Ratt, and Motley Crue.

Warrant, Steelheart, Slaughter, Winger.....it was all pretty much recycled by that time.

One band that came around too late, but was really, really good was Lillian Axe. Their first record was produced by Robbin Crosby of Ratt. I saw them a few times back in the day at the Thirsty Whale (RIP).

Ok you have redeemed yourself. :)

I had forgotten about Lillian Axe. Definitely too late.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:04 pm 

I have been listening to Monster Ballads all day long. Thanks Spaulding!

When I look into your eyes
I can see how much I love you
And it makes me realize
I see all my dreams come true

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
blorf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I had a lot of contempt for that whole L.A. scene they came out of. Gazzarri's. Pay to play.

What was that dude's name, Tony Barbarossa or something? SHARK Promotions. The bands had to buy blocks of tickets and sell them. It was modeled after the LA Hair Metal scene.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

MongoMuller wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Best debut album ever.

That's crazy talk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Telegram Sam wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I had a lot of contempt for that whole L.A. scene they came out of. Gazzarri's. Pay to play.

What was that dude's name, Tony Barbarossa or something? SHARK Promotions. The bands had to buy blocks of tickets and sell them. It was modeled after the LA Hair Metal scene.

I think it was Tony "Shark" LaBarbera. BITE!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think it was Tony "Shark" LaBarbera. BITE!

That's it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Sister Christian-Night Ranger

Don't want to miss a thing-Aerosmith

My Immortal-Evanescence

Beth-KISS

Babe-Styx

Downtown Train-Tom Waits

More Than a Feeling-Boston

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
It's not a ballad, in fact its the complete opposite, but while we are talking 80's hair bands I can not leave out my favorite song. "Girl School" by Britny Fox is just awesome. I have it on my workout playlist to this day. They didn't accomplish much else but that song rocks.

..and if you are going to mention Kiss you have to go with "Forever"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
MongoMuller wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Best debut album ever.

Um,no.Wrong. Wrong Wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:31 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
It's not a ballad, in fact its the complete opposite, but while we are talking 80's hair bands I can not leave out my favorite song. "Girl School" by Britny Fox is just awesome. I have it on my workout playlist to this day. They didn't accomplish much else but that song rocks.

..and if you are going to mention Kiss you have to go with "Forever"

The video for Girl School was great!

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
chaspoppcap wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Best debut album ever.

Okay, I'll ask...what was better?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

chaspoppcap wrote:

My Immortal-Evanescence

Beth-KISS

Babe-Styx

Downtown Train-Tom Waits

Sister Christian was huge. I can remember you were the coolest kid in school if you had one of those raglan's with the picture of the band in that bomber. 80's Aerosmith was brutal...Ragdoll just killed that band for me...and Dude Looks Like a Lady...and Janie's Got a Gun. The production was so lousy...they put horns in everywhere...its cool they were clean and all but those songs were awful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:45 pm 

MongoMuller wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

My Immortal-Evanescence

Beth-KISS

Babe-Styx

Downtown Train-Tom Waits

Sister Christian was huge. I can remember you were the coolest kid in school if you had one of those raglan's with the picture of the band in that bomber. 80's Aerosmith was brutal...Ragdoll just killed that band for me...and Dude Looks Like a Lady...and Janie's Got a Gun. The production was so lousy...they put horns in everywhere...its cool they were clean and all but those songs were awful.

Aerosmith feels like two bands to me. Pre- and Post- "Permanent Vacation," which coincides with them getting clean. When you see concert footage of them playing the older stuff it almost seems like they are covering it. It's offputting, like seeing Brian Johnson sing the Bon Scott AC/DC songs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:45 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Best debut album ever.

I can't wait to hear this.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
sjboyd0137 wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
MongoMuller wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Best debut album ever.

Beatles
Hendrix
Pretenders
Van Halen
Elvis Costello
Clash

Restricted to just hard rock 80s bands...nobody.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next