It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ed O'Brien
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Guitar player for Radiohead released his debut solo album today. Listening to it now and I like it.

Post subject: Re: Ed O'Brien
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: John's

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:05 pm 

Different guy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:08 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Douchebag wrote:

LINE STUNTS, DOUCHEBAG!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:52 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I've only heard "Shangri-La" so far, I'm eager to hear the rest. My prediction is that it'll sound like what the follow-up to OK Computer would have been if Thom had quit the band and left Ed to take over, like Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis.

Ed O'Brien has had an interesting career trajectory. He was the third guitarist in a band that got tired of playing guitars, so he just ended up screwing around with effects pedals, it seemed. And yet as inessential as he might seem, the real Radiohead obsessives all say that he's just as integral to the sound of the band as anyone. As I've said before, his real job has been to handle the press because Thom Yorke is so unpleasant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:09 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I've only heard "Shangri-La" so far, I'm eager to hear the rest. My prediction is that it'll sound like what the follow-up to OK Computer would have been if Thom had quit the band and left Ed to take over, like Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis.

Ed O'Brien has had an interesting career trajectory. He was the third guitarist in a band that got tired of playing guitars, so he just ended up screwing around with effects pedals, it seemed. And yet as inessential as he might seem, the real Radiohead obsessives all say that he's just as integral to the sound of the band as anyone. As I've said before, his real job has been to handle the press because Thom Yorke is so unpleasant.

You can hear it in this album. I always thought he was just "a guy".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:14 pm 

Listening now. I like it. It's not amazing but it has a higher floor than Thom's masturbatory laptop stuff. "Banksters" sounds like it could have been an In Rainbows b-side if the financial crisis had been about a year sooner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Does Ed contribute to any of the songwriting in Radiohead?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:

They've been playing the absolute shit out of this on XRT lately. Each time it comes on I think it sounds a lot like Radiohead. Now I know why.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:29 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Does Ed contribute to any of the songwriting in Radiohead?

After CH's post above I looked at the songwriting credits for OK Computer and the whole band is credited. And like SS says it does have a Radiohead sound to it. Makes me realize Radiohead songs are more than just Yorke and Greenwood productions like I assumed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:05 am 

The songwriting process is that Thom and Jonny come up with ideas, then things may or may not progress from there with the other three involved. Everyone gets 20% songwriting credit so that they would never pull a Smiths.

Off the top of my head, the "Street Spirit" riff was Ed's, that ringing guitar part in the beginning of "Lucky" was his idea, and "Treefingers" is tape of Ed noodling that Thom ran through a bunch of ProTools filters until it sounded like Brian Eno. I don't think he had much to do with Kid A/Amnesiac outside of the "Treefingers" stuff. That's all I have in my personal Edcyclopedia.