It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Curious Hair wrote:
I was never a big Elephant 6 guy. I'm checking it out now. It reminds me of Imperial Bedroom in how it feels like it's firmly of its genre but then there are little chord changes, flourishes, and interludes that you don't see coming.

The Essex Green was the other really great one if you ask me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Festivalization of live music in the US was already killing off local live music scenes before Covid. Instead of playing a headlining show at a small club on a bill with 2 or 3 other newer acts bands end up small print acts playing 45 minute daytime sets on the festival circuit.

Not as big of a deal when it was only like Coachella and Bonaroo. But then along came the rebooted Lollapalooza, ACL Fest and regional fests in every part of the country. And the tent-pole fests expanded to multiple weekends. To play the festival and get the fat paycheck for a short set the bands aren't allowed to play shows close to their festival date.

Might be why all those clubs along Belmont (Schuba's/Beat Kitchen/the irish-y spot just west of Ashland) started running stand-up comedy shows in their music rooms about a decade or so ago. Initially just on slow weeknights and then eventually taking over the weekend slots as well. Before the Covid shutdown, Lincoln Hall/Thalia etc were even running "live podcast" shows in lieu of bands.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:45 am 

Indie Rock: Music so good you can't get a lot of people to like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Indie Rock: Music so good you can't get a lot of people to like it.

Cookie cutter country is where it's at.

Rap music for white people who are afraid of black people. Make Music Great Again!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Hussra wrote:
Festivalization of live music in the US was already killing off local live music scenes before Covid.

I agree with this, but you're still only looking at 3 months of the year. I never understood the Festival thing. I have too much to do than waste away an entire weekend. If I'm going to see a band I like I want it to be a full 90 minute or longer set. The bigger then venue the worse the sound quality and ability to see the band.

Misfits are Riot Fest is a great example.....I would have gone as a stand alone concert. No chance I'm wasting that at a large festival...silly.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
BigW72 wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Festivalization of live music in the US was already killing off local live music scenes before Covid.

I agree with this, but you're still only looking at 3 months of the year. I never understood the Festival thing. I have too much to do than waste away an entire weekend. If I'm going to see a band I like I want it to be a full 90 minute or longer set. The bigger then venue the worse the sound quality and ability to see the band.

Misfits are Riot Fest is a great example.....I would have gone as a stand alone concert. No chance I'm wasting that at a large festival...silly.

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:55 pm 

"Your Arms Around Me" by Jens Lekman came on my Spotify discover list. Probably haven't listened to that song since I was a teenager, what a moment. Talk about a track that holds up too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:03 pm 

Of course that's got me listening to all those mid-late 2000's Swedish indie bands. Suburban Kids with Biblical Names, anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:15 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Antarctica wrote:
"Your Arms Around Me" by Jens Lekman came on my Spotify discover list. Probably haven't listened to that song since I was a teenager, what a moment. Talk about a track that holds up too.

The bridge around 2:40 is one of my favorite musical moments, up there with the pedal steel coming in on "Jesus, Etc." or Fripp's solo on "St. Elmo's Fire."

I love the whole Night Falls Over Kortedala album. It's damn near perfect. I remember playing the first three Jens albums a lot back around 2009-2011. Unfortunately, he's only had two more since then, and I remember I Know What Love Isn't being a dud. I'll revisit it and give it another chance but I remember being very disappointed. The last one has a few good songs, and Tracey Thorn from EBTG pops up, which is cool. I don't know much about the rest of that Swedish scene; I always felt Jens was more of a kind with post-Fold Your Hands... B&S or Camera Obscura.

Other songs just/almost as great as that one: "Kanske Är Jag Kär I Dig," "Black Cab," "You Are the Light By Which I Travel Into This And That," "Maple Leaves," "Pocketful of Money," "Rocky Dennis's Farewell Song," "Jens Lekman's Farewell Song," "A Postcard to Nina," "Tram No. 7 to Heaven"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 am 

Antarctica wrote:
Of course that's got me listening to all those mid-late 2000's Swedish indie bands. Suburban Kids with Biblical Names, anyone?

Saw them play a dingy music room in the back of a bar in New York once. Memorable mostly because local new york shows like that would have too fucking many crappy local opening bands; and when the 3rd or 4th Strokes wannabes took the stage and finished their first song someone with SKWBN (as their fans no doubt refer to them as?) frustrated by the long ass wait for the band everyone who paid to be there was there to see yelled out over the polite between song applause "One More, One More Song!". After a few more people chimed in between the next song with "One More, One More!" singer of the local opener sincerely perplexed into the mic that they had a set list they were working off of so "no need to keep yelling out for another song".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:32 am 

Hives:

The Soundtrack of Our Lives:

Best of the Swedish Aughts**:

**according to members of the band Lacrosse. Apparently they thought of themselves as the next Abba and refused to tour shitty small clubs. so few outside Sweden got to bask in the live warmth of their musical genius, uh-huh

Dunno if it's still the case, but back then Sweden's government would pay performing artists a stipend, hence the outsized musical output

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
The temerity of a guy calling people cucks while also admitting he's horny for Jens fucking Lekman.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Hussra wrote:
The Soundtrack of Our Lives:

Furious is a bigfan.

SpiralStairs wrote:
The temerity of a guy calling people cucks while also admitting he's horny for Jens fucking Lekman.

:lol:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:31 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
It's a horrible cliche, I know, but I listened to "New Slang" for the first time in a long time yesterday. That song still blows me away. I can vividly recall exactly where I was the first time I heard it almost two decades ago. I was happier then with no mind set.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Although I love Broken Bells, most of The Shins catalog doesn't do it for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:02 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:
It's a horrible cliche, I know, but I listened to "New Slang" for the first time in a long time yesterday. That song still blows me away. I can vividly recall exactly where I was the first time I heard it almost two decades ago. I was happier then with no mind set.

I was fumbling around the left of the dial the other night and found a station that played "Together Forever" by Lisette Melendez followed by "New Slang." I was like "whoa, classic B96 music followed by a classic 2000s indie song, am I programming this station?" It turned out to be Lake Forest College's station running on autopilot. Cool.

First time I heard it was on a CD-R of the Garden State soundtrack, which a friend burned for me because she couldn't believe I hadn't seen the movie yet.