songs that should not be covered...
top 5

for me it goes
Bad ...U2

Stand By Me ...Ben E King

Brave ...Sarah Barrelies

Enter Sandman.. Metallica

Candle in the Wind..Sir Elton John

as an extra I would add I can Dream About you by Dan Hartman. It is the second most perfect song behind Heroes by Bowie.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:31 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Tom Sawyer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:05 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Tom Sawyer

Meh that to me is the worst Rush song that was a hit. If I picked a Rush song not to remake it would be Fly By Night becaue Niel wrote it as he was leaving on his first trip away from home.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I don’t get this mindset. I’m open to any song I love being covered. If it’s done well I’m going to enjoy it and if it sucks im not gonna listen to it again.

Imo movies are different. If they remade Shawshank Redemption everyone involved should be killed.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:18 am 

FavreFan wrote:
I don’t get this mindset. I’m open to any song I love being covered. If it’s done well I’m going to enjoy it and if it sucks im not gonna listen to it again.

Imo movies are different. If they remade Shawshank Redemption everyone involved should be killed.

Okay you win the power ball top 3 movies you would remake or make me it is easy

1 DragonLance

2) Remo Williams

#Green Lantern

The good thing is the killed the remake of Big Trouble in Little China With the Rock, not that the Rock could pull it off but the did not let Carpenter have anything to do with it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:19 am 

FavreFan wrote:

Same goes for Broken Arrow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:39 am 

one more I would make the Tom Cody Trilogy( Streets of Fire)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:

Well, I think there are songs that are/seem so personal that they really shouldn't be covered. I haven't seen anything like that mentioned in this thread yet though. The closest thing is "Heroes" that has been covered multiple times and never well. The Motorhead version is an atrocity. And I love Motorhead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well, I think there are songs that are/seem so personal that they really shouldn't be covered. I haven't seen anything like that mentioned in this thread yet though. The closest thing is "Heroes" that has been covered multiple times and never well. The Motorhead version is an atrocity. And I love Motorhead.

That song "Heros" is simply amazing production, co-written and produced by Brian Eno with Robert Fripp on guitars...song starts in one place and ends up on a completely different level

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That song "Heros" is simply amazing production, co-written and produced by Brian Eno with Robert Fripp on guitars...song starts in one place and ends up on a completely different level

There's a show on the U2 Sirius channel called "Close to The Edge" where The Edge interviews other musicians. I've only heard it one time, but the one I heard was with Carlos Alomar. Super interesting. I always thought it was cool that Bowie and Eno had Alomar and Dennis Davis switch instruments on "Boys Keep Swinging".

And speaking of covers, here's "Boys Keep Swinging" done Memphis style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tA0S_ArrWY