It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:58 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Every time I turn on Q101 it seems like Fall Out Boy is playing. Man, I hate that band. Q101 just needs to embrace the 90's and become a better version of Lithium on Sirius. Have special shows throughout the day that focus on different type of 90's rock. Grunge, britpop, nu metal, acoustic etc.. There's just nothing new out there. At least give me fresh stuff from the past. 95.5 is ok but I've already noticed them playing the same Pearl Jam songs over and over.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:59 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I've listened to a little bit of Rock 95.5 and it's basically just the old Loop without playing "No Quarter" or "Welcome to the Machine" in the middle of the day. I don't know who these people are who are in such a state over classic alternative being next to hair metal; the Loop played "Losing My Religion" and "Where The Streets Have No Name" next to "There's Only One Way to Rock" and "Rock You Like a Hurricane," it was fine, no one cared.

I don't listen to terrestrial radio much anymore, but I've enjoyed what I've heard from 95.5 so far. It's got the feel of Q101s heyday mixed with Rock 103.5. The playlist has been very deep as well, which has been a major surprise in this age.

Yeah, for an iHeart station, it's good. Anyone getting mad at it just wants to be mad. They should still bust out "No Quarter," though, now that I mention it.

blackhawksfan wrote:
Every time I turn on Q101 it seems like Fall Out Boy is playing. Man, I hate that band. Q101 just needs to embrace the 90's and become a better version of Lithium on Sirius. Have special shows throughout the day that focus on different type of 90's rock. Grunge, britpop, nu metal, acoustic etc.. There's just nothing new out there. At least give me fresh stuff from the past. 95.5 is ok but I've already noticed them playing the same Pearl Jam songs over and over.

They were hinting at that direction when they did that History of Alternative promotion, but then they cut it back down and now it's just Sunday Morning Flashback. I'm for more classics and less modern, but I think you're severely overestimating the appetite for nu-metal. No downtown station is going to play that shit, it's way too downmarket.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I made it to the dial right before that godawful Paolo Nutini New Shoes song got started. I rule.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
bought these cassettes for boombox in 1981 -

ac dc - for those about to rock
blue oyster cult - fire of unknown origin
reo speedwagon - hi infidelity
rolling stones - tattoo you
billy squier - don't say no
the police - ghost in the machine
the who - face dances
rush - moving pictures
journey - escape
foreigner - foreigner 4
def leppard - high n dry
ozzie - blizzard of oz & diary of a madman
the cars - shake it up

very, very good year for 'rock' - all genres. other terrific albums that i didn't mention.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:12 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
ozzie - blizzard of oz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Curious Hair wrote:
The pseudo-Feder message board has a thread about 95.5. They talk about 95.5 a lot there, it seems. Anyway, some of the people who post there (there are no real personas there other than longtime radio gadfly Jeremy Andrews, who I'm surprised isn't here), are upset that the station doesn't play "real" rock. Someone started this thread with some ideas for them:

https://members.boardhost.com/chicagome ... 37340.html

and it's predictably awful, all that same 2003-time-capsule WIIL Rock shit. I generally don't hold programming consultants in high esteem but they're right to stick to AC/DC mixed with R.E.M. if this is "real" rock.

Holy shit!!!

the design and color scheme of that site is fucking god awful hahaha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:42 pm 

lol, yeah, we've joked about how this board is a time capsule of 2006, but that one is a time capsule of 1996, and it's newer! Shit looks like a newsgroup on Geocities.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:51 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
lol, yeah, we've joked about how this board is a time capsule of 2006, but that one is a time capsule of 1996, and it's newer! Shit looks like a newsgroup on Geocities.

Still looks better than the Larz board.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:04 pm 

pizza_Place: She/Him
Hey hey my my. Rock and roll can never die. Until a bunch of high estrogen millennials ruin music with their emo crap rock and electronic beats that were never, ever played on an actual instrument.
Goddamn midi. Ruined everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:46 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:

Wow, I thought you were exaggerating about that board, but I could only briefly look at it before it started making my eyes hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:08 am 

That board is not elite.

RIP SOMB.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Furious Styles wrote:
RIP SOMB.

I'll second that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

the who - face dances
rush - moving pictures
journey - escape
foreigner - foreigner 4
def leppard - high n dry
the cars - shake it up

very, very good year for 'rock' - all genres. other terrific albums that i didn't mention.

Paradise Theater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I gave 95.5 a spin this morning on the way into work, and got Everclear, "Father of Mine". Nice cut, I prefer "Heroin Girl", but good enough to make it P2 on my FM dial!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:41 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

the who - face dances
rush - moving pictures
journey - escape
foreigner - foreigner 4
def leppard - high n dry
the cars - shake it up

Paradise Theater

yeah, i wasn't a big styx fan, but i appreciated the talent. as mentioned, 1981 was a great year for all genres.

other pop, soft rock, rock albums -

hall & oates - private eyes
olivia newton john - physical
.38 special - wild eyed southern boys
dan fogelberg - the innocent age
quarterflash - quarterflash
triumph - allied forces
pat benatar - precious time
stevie nicks - bella donna
the go-gos - beauty and the beat
phil collins (solo) - face value
bob seger & silver bullet band - nine tonight

etc..rock/soft rock/pop genres.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:45 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
a band back in the day I thought was 'too soft' I've found a new respect for : Foreigner.

They had some real great tunes back in the day , late 70s, early to mid 80s.

I just had lumped them into bands like Air Supply as sort of being weak rock bands.

But I really am digging Foreigner now all these years later.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
HawaiiYou wrote:
a band back in the day I thought was 'too soft' I've found a new respect for : Foreigner.

I just had lumped them into bands like Air Supply as sort of being weak rock bands.

I actually kind of feel the same way. Not that I ever would have compared them to Air Supply, but I've come to respect them more than I did when they were in their heyday. Foreigner is what Foo Fighters would be if Dave Grohl could write songs and sing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:18 am 

I have no strong feelings either way on Foreigner, I like "Double Vision" maybe more than I should, but I love any shot at Dave Grohl.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:23 am 

Didn't rock music get the talented people moving over to country and then the untalented moving over from rap/r&b/hip hop?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
I have no strong feelings either way on Foreigner, I like "Double Vision" maybe more than I should, but I love any shot at Dave Grohl.

Seriously- and I guess this is really what this thread is about- think about how far guitar rock has fallen when Foo Fighters are considered the greatest band. I don't think any objective rock fan could say they are anywhere near as good as Foreigner. And Foreigner wasn't even a band we really though much about back in the 70s and early 80s. They were an opener for most of the time. "Hot Blooded" was cool but it wasn't anyone I knew's favorite song or anything. What song has Dave Grohl ever written as good as "Midnight Blue" or "Feels Like the First Time"?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:35 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:

i wasn't a huge foreigner fan - but yes, i thought they were good. the riffs, bridges (liked to use saxophone) and the typical late 70s-early 80s over-the-top singing of lou gramm. liked the guitar slide usage on 'head games'.

got more popular with foreigner 4 and 'waiting for a girl like you' was played at every prom in 1982.

as far as air supply....yes, soft rock, today they call it 'yacht rock'. i'd put little river band in with them, little river band was more hard than air supply and i thought lrb were a good band.

i read somewhere that john lennon's favorite song was 'reminiscing', by little river band. guitar slide the same on lrb's 'night owls' as foreigner's 'head games'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:54 pm 

The amount of talent required to make a song like Cold as Ice is staggering compared to what goes into today's typical pop songs. I know it's opinion, but the opening hook and solo vocal are just awesome. Lou Gramm was very underrated.

Last edited by Jaw Breaker on Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Seriously- and I guess this is really what this thread is about- think about how far guitar rock has fallen when Foo Fighters are considered the greatest band. I don't think any objective rock fan could say they are anywhere near as good as Foreigner. And Foreigner wasn't even a band we really though much about back in the 70s and early 80s. They were an opener for most of the time. "Hot Blooded" was cool but it wasn't anyone I knew's favorite song or anything. What song has Dave Grohl ever written as good as "Midnight Blue" or "Feels Like the First Time"?

I hold "Midnight Blue" in the same esteem as "Electric Blue," "Heaven is a Place on Earth," or "Hungry Eyes." It's just another cheesy 80's pop song. Also, while you're right that the Foo Fighters are nothing special (I think they could possibly be the most boring band in the history of rock to sustain a 25+ year career) "Monkey Wrench" and "Everlong" are better than "Midnight Blue" and 'Feels Like the First Time."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:25 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
The amount of talent required to make a song like Cold as Ice is staggering compared to what goes into today's typical pop songs. I know it's opinion, but just the opening hook and solo vocal are just awesome. Lou Gramm was very underrated.

Ian McDonald and Al Greenwood brought immense talent to those first two records and Dennis Elliot wrote some tasty, non-obvious drum parts. I played those records all the time. I got pissed when they went to the stripped-down lineup and glossier production of Foreigner 4.

Also, Midnight Blue kicks ass. This thread needs jimmypasta.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Similar to REO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:33 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Dennis Elliot wrote some tasty, non-obvious drum parts.

That's a good way to describe it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:09 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
The amount of talent required to make a song like Cold as Ice is staggering compared to what goes into today's typical pop songs. I know it's opinion, but the opening hook and solo vocal are just awesome. Lou Gramm was very underrated.

real good singer - style similar to other over-the-top rock singers of that era: steve perry, dave bickler, joe-lynn turner, john wetton, kevin cronin...a kenny loggins.

great voice....paul rodgers also had a great voice. 2 distinct styles of singing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I hold "Midnight Blue" in the same esteem as "Electric Blue," "Heaven is a Place on Earth," or "Hungry Eyes." It's just another cheesy 80's pop song. Also, while you're right that the Foo Fighters are nothing special (I think they could possibly be the most boring band in the history of rock to sustain a 25+ year career) "Monkey Wrench" and "Everlong" are better than "Midnight Blue" and 'Feels Like the First Time."

Well, you got the two best Foo Fighters songs right, but I don't think they're better than the Foreigner songs I mentioned let alone "Hot Blooded" or "Cold as Ice" or "Dirty White Boy".

"Midnight Blue" is an emotional powerhouse that was plagued by the production values of its time. This is from a show at UIC. Was anyone here there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQbAizfsvrQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
https://twitter.com/RealFooFighters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

"Midnight Blue" is an emotional powerhouse that was plagued by the production values of its time. This is from a show at UIC. Was anyone here there?

good song, lou gramm solo, i believe.

imo - the time/pace of the song...made the song.