It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Interesting read, a lot I hadn't put together in my head even though being really aware of the music at the time

https://magnetmagazine.com/2005/06/12/a-tale-of-twin-cities-husker-du-the-replacements-and-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-80s-minneapolis-scene/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
https://youtu.be/-ilg7uHUsE0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Grant Hart wrote:
As time goes by, I become more and more satisfied that I am the member of Hüsker Dü I am. I don’t have people knocking on my door to release the next Grant Hart record, but at least I haven’t put out a number of lousy ones. I think people realize Bob has lost it or wasn’t the main driving force in the first place.

Man.....that's quite a statement. Bob Mould has put out some underwhelming releases but he's also written same masterpieces. His resume is a hell of a lot more decorated than Grant Hart. What miserable, jealous, bitter fuck.

Then again....Bob Mould statements appear to be very revisionist and full of shit. I believe he's pretty admitted to being a miserable fuck of a person :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:56 am 
Site Admin

BigW72 wrote:
Grant Hart wrote:
As time goes by, I become more and more satisfied that I am the member of Hüsker Dü I am. I don’t have people knocking on my door to release the next Grant Hart record, but at least I haven’t put out a number of lousy ones. I think people realize Bob has lost it or wasn’t the main driving force in the first place.

Man.....that's quite a statement. Bob Mould has put out some underwhelming releases but he's also written same masterpieces. His resume is a hell of a lot more decorated than Grant Hart. What miserable, jealous, bitter fuck.

Then again....Bob Mould statements appear to be very revisionist and full of shit. I believe he's pretty admitted to being a miserable fuck of a person :lol:

Yeah, I'm gonna say Hart was the better person. I get the feeling Norton thinks so too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:11 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Replacements were the far, far superior Cities band. They should both get over themselves. Bob Mould at Square Roots this July, though, that should be good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
BigW72 wrote:
Grant Hart wrote:

Sugar's Copper Blue is one of my favorite albums from the 90's and Mould has put out a lot of decent solo stuff. In fact, I like Mould's post Husker Du work better than his Husker Du work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
What happened to regional music scenes? Minneapolis, Boston, Seattle all hit a peak in the late 80's/early 90's and it's been sparse since then.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
The Replacements were the far, far superior Cities band.

Of course. Westerberg understands melody and is capable of expressing it in a way Mould never could. Hart is a little better. He did write "2541." But Hüsker Dü is really just a glorified hardcore band.

Don't get me wrong. I obviously love hardcore. But let's be serious, it isn't something that requires a lot of musical talent. The Replacements could sound exactly like Hüsker Dü if they wanted to. Hüsker Dü could NEVER sound like the Replacements.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Mould killed it on the Hedwig soundtrack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:55 pm 

Agreed on all the points mentioned regarding Westerberg, The Replacements, and Melody...no argument.
Still....there's another side to that. There is zero chance Westerberg could write the riffs and aggression of the 6 Beaster tracks. Both Westerberg and Mould are fantastic writers....just different flavors.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
BigW72 wrote:
Agreed on all the points mentioned regarding Westerberg, The Replacements, and Melody...no argument.
Still....there's another side to that. There is zero chance Westerberg could write the riffs and aggression of the 6 Beaster tracks. Both Westerberg and Mould are fantastic writers....just different flavors.

Yup,two sides to the same coin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

BigW72 wrote:
There is zero chance Westerberg could write the riffs and aggression of the 6 Beaster tracks.

I don't know about that. What about the Stink EP? Granted it's more juvenile than Beaster, but Mould was about ten years older when he wrote that material than Westerberg was when he pretended to be a hardcore guy.

And I'm not sure riffs can be more aggressive than this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9aQ9u8Zy2k

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:47 pm 

Hussra wrote:
What happened to regional music scenes? Minneapolis, Boston, Seattle all hit a peak in the late 80's/early 90's and it's been sparse since then.

Giuliani made New York safe for rich people's shitty kids and they all descended on Brooklyn instead of staying home.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:56 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
There is zero chance Westerberg could write the riffs and aggression of the 6 Beaster tracks.

I don't know about that. What about the Stink EP? Granted it's more juvenile than Beaster, but Mould was about ten years older when he wrote that material than Westerberg was when he pretended to be a hardcore guy.

And I'm not sure riffs can be more aggressive than this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9aQ9u8Zy2k

I have seen Mould 3 times so far 2 electric(1 solo,1 Sugar) and 1 acoustic. The acoustic show was incredible. Metro. Bob and 2 others. I was with my back to the wall. It was the loudest concert experience I have ever been to I could not hear for about 3 hours after. The sound was literally pushing me against the wall. One of my music regrets is not seeing Husker Du live.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:41 am 
Site Admin

I guess what some people like about Hüsker Dü is that the songs feature a penumbra of a melody that Bob Mould is incapable of singing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I guess what some people like about Hüsker Dü is that the songs feature a penumbra of a melody that Bob Mould is incapable of singing.

It was nice that they wrote "What's Going On" so that Billy Corgan could rewrite it as "1979."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It was nice that they wrote "What's Going On" so that Billy Corgan could rewrite it as "1979."

He just stole the intro. Billy cadged the rest of that one from the Frogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYRto3kmtQo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:16 pm 

I saw this thread and was shocked that there was a thread about Prince and his team. Then I clicked on it and saw the crap you all were talking about.

Not surprising. Sad as usual.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
I saw this thread and was shocked that there was a thread about Prince and his team. Then I clicked on it and saw the crap you all were talking about.

I also figured Prince would be in here with Morris Day and the Time. There was another MN band where the singer died. I think it was the one with the kid in a bee costume video?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:05 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I also figured Prince would be in here with Morris Day and the Time. There was another MN band where the singer died. I think it was the one with the kid in a bee costume video?

Blind Melon. Who is still more interesting than no talent jokes like Husker Du.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:39 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I get what you're saying, but Prince is on the Mount Rushmore of music GOATS. As important as the Replacements and Husker Du were in Rock, it would be unfair to put them in the same sentence as Prince Prince is like Babe Ruth and we're debating George Brett v. Chipper Jones :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:53 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah,I mean it is taken for granted that Prince was the main person to come out of the twin cities music, his family of acts is incredible. The only reason to make a fuss about why we are not including him in this talk is well you know.

And to call Du and Mold in particular no talent hacks is just insane and trust me I know insane. I got papers from the government certifying me.
Go listen to Copper Blue and Workbook. Or Black Sheets of Rain. Hell even when he did his little EDM phase some of the stuff is decent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I get what you're saying, but Prince is on the Mount Rushmore of music GOATS. As important as the Replacements and Husker Du were in Rock, it would be unfair to put them in the same sentence as Prince Prince is like Babe Ruth and we're debating George Brett v. Chipper Jones :lol:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... er-191244/

You hear it so often: “It’s such a shock.” And for once, I truly am [in shock]. It’s hard to even believe. I guess it’s just a reminder of how fragile we all are and how quick life is. A lot of people have been calling wondering how I feel, like somehow this is going to spill over and I’m going to drop over. Tommy [Stinson] sent me a text that was like, “Holy shit, can you believe Rog is gone?

I immediately went back to the first times we saw him and all the times we sort of grew up around him. He went to school five, six blocks away from where I was born. So we walked the same streets. But I didn’t know about him until he was already the man. It was probably just right before the Replacements, right as we were getting together. I think it was his first hit, “I Wanna Be Your Lover,” which ironically, was never a hit here at home. I remember reading about it, that there was a guy from Minneapolis who had a huge hit. But it wasn’t played here. I must have been about 19 at the time, and I bought the record and I loved it. It was like everything that we weren’t doing. You know, melodies, and slick and simple and perfect. We were full of the punk stuff at the time. It sort of put us in perspective, like, “OK, we’ll go as far as we can with our limited talent, but this is the real deal. This guy is the real shit.” He would be playing First Avenue when we would be playing the Seventh Street Entry, the little 100-capacity club that connected, and he was in the big room with 900 people. It was night and day. We had our little thing, but occasionally, when we were playing, and he would come in the room for three seconds, walk out and the entire room would empty, following him. I hope he did it on purpose. I think maybe he did. Hey, he was a star. There was no doubt about it.

My first recollection of seeing him was a dress rehearsal for one of his early tours. I was next to another musician, a couple other guys that were up-and-comers and that thought they were hot shit, and we were watching Prince. The guy turned to me and said, “I’m fucking embarrassed to be alive.” And that’s how I felt. He was so good. It was like, “What are we doing? This guy is, like, on a different planet than we are.” It was showmanship, it was rock & roll, it was fun, it was great. I think it helped everyone around. It made us all think that Minneapolis wasn’t the dour town that we tried to pretend it was. He was like a ray of light in a very cautious place. He was a star. He made no bones about it. He was glitz to a place that wasn’t used to it. I remember a little scuffle broke out in front of the stage one night and Prince said, “Stop fighting, you’ll mess up your clothes.”

The first time I met him was at a urinal at a nightclub in St. Paul. There he was, and I said, “Hey, what’s up?” And he answered, “Life.” One word: “life.” And I can’t say that we went on to be pals. But we did record a lot at Paisley Park, and he became comfortable enough to grace us with his presence, not bejeweled and not dressed up. He’d be wearing maybe his jammies and sweat pants or maybe a pair of jeans and sneakers. He could sort of just hang out. He may have been a little more normal than he would’ve liked people to know. That’s the treasure that we got, to be able to sit in the big atrium where you’re taking a break and Prince shuffles by in his slippers and makes some popcorn in the microwave. My sister’s a disc jockey, and he would pass by and say, “Tell your sister hi for me.” People like to paint him as a reclusive this or that; I think he was genuinely truly, truly shy. But one thing says a lot about him: I was there making a solo record a few years later, and I got a message that said that my friend had just died. I was truly rattled, and the next time I went back into the studio, he had filled it up with balloons. Now I’m gonna cry.

I’ve spent more time with Bob Dylan, and I’ve got to say that I was more in awe of Prince. I can’t think of anyone better – an all-around composer, musician, guitarist, star, showman, the whole package, anyone better. If Elvis wrote all of his songs and played guitar, it still wouldn’t quite be there. He’d play Jimi Hendrix-style, between his legs and behind his back. And then he’d do the splits. He could put the guitar down, and Jimi would become James Brown. He could hold the crowd like Mick Jagger, but could Mick Jagger play the piano like that? And then, lyrically, there’s something like, “When Doves Cry.” There’s obviously more going on there than meets the booty.

When I got word today, I was trying to write a song. I put it down. I found myself walking up to the store, and I bought myself a handful of colorful clothes. I was just drawn to do something that he would have done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:24 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah,I mean it is taken for granted that Prince was the main person to come out of the twin cities music, his family of acts is incredible. The only reason to make a fuss about why we are not including him in this talk is well you know.

And to call Du and Mold in particular no talent hacks is just insane and trust me I know insane. I got papers from the government certifying me.
Go listen to Copper Blue and Workbook. Or Black Sheets of Rain. Hell even when he did his little EDM phase some of the stuff is decent.

Funny thing is that I've been in a foul mood all afternoon. I've needed big music. Started with James Brown and some old soul music. Got Mahalia Jackson working now.

Strong stuff. Especially when Louis Armstrong came on stage with her.

Music of my childhood. Along with Muddy, Wolf and John Lee.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Funny thing is that I've been in a foul mood all afternoon. I've needed big music. Started with James Brown and some old soul music. Got Mahalia Jackson working now.

Strong stuff. Especially when Louis Armstrong came on stage with her.

Music of my childhood. Along with Muddy, Wolf and John Lee.

I was on a old school Motion type kick about a month back. Not to sound as old a Joe but ,the music was definitely better back in the day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:31 am 

ok, JORR....so Paul Westerberg not only owns Bob Mould in terms of melody, but he owns the articulation of Prince's greatness, as well. Man....that pretty much nails it.

"Stop...you'll mess up your clothes" :lol: :lol:
Playing guitar like Jimi...move like James Brown...own a crowd like Jagger. Yeah....I'd say that's Prince.