It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
City of Fools wrote:
Roger Waters has always reminded me of Jim Morrison. Brings lyrics, visual ideas etc....but he's not really a musician.

Yeah, Gilmour actually did a lot of the bass on Animals, as the parts were beyond what Waters could play. Probably the same on The Wall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Jaw Breaker wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Roger Waters has always reminded me of Jim Morrison. Brings lyrics, visual ideas etc....but he's not really a musician.

Yeah, Gilmour actually did a lot of the bass on Animals, as the parts were beyond what Waters could play. Probably the same on The Wall.

I saw Roger's last tour he did of The Wall at the United Center and half of the songs he didn't play bass, he just walked around the stage holding his hands up. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
badrogue17 wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Comfortably Numb is the greatest song of all time.

Yeah, it's not even the best Pink Floyd song of all time :lol:

Now....if we want to discuss David Gilmour's most soulful and beautiful guitar soloing...or the best song on "The Wall"....perhaps.

Give me your top 5 Pink Floyd songs. Comfortably Numb for me is the perfect example of what makes the Waters/Gilmour collaboration so good. Gilmour brings the light, Waters brings the darkness. Plus, that guitar solo and they don't rip off old black guitarists like that perv Jimmy Page did.

Well except for the bands name, youre right

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Astonomy Domine
Time
Brain Damage / Eclipse
Comfortably Numb

Don't mistake my comment for someone that doesn't love David Gilmour....I fucking love David Gilmour. I even love Momentary Lapse of Reason. You said Greatest song of all time. Comfortably Numb is in my top 5 Pink Floyd songs and it's a masterpiece....just as you described. I'm just not putting it in my top 5 songs of all time.

Roger Waters is a brilliant song writer and like many other brilliant song writers....a complete douche of a person.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
Jaw Breaker wrote:
pittmike wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Comfortably Numb is the greatest song of all time. Have you guys heard Roger Waters lately? He's really going after Gilmour for some reason. What a nasty guy.

Something about liner notes and digging Dave and his wife. Gilmour supposedly took more credit than he really did on recordings.

"This is a small part of an ongoing campaign by [Gilmour and his wife Polly Samson] to claim more credit for Dave on the work he did in Pink Floyd, 1967-1985, than is his due," Waters adds. "Yes he was, and is, a jolly good guitarist and singer. But, he has for the last 35 years told a lot of whopping porky pies about who did what in Pink Floyd when I was still in charge. There’s a lot of 'we did this' and 'we did that,' and 'I did this' and 'I did that.'"

Gilmour married Samson in 1994; she has served as a late-period co-writer on a number of his songs, both with Pink Floyd and as a solo artist.

Waters also revealed that he used his pandemic-mandated downtime to start work on his memoirs, which he promises will reveal more instances where Gilmour claims too much credit. As an example, Waters cites an interview where Gilmour discusses how an opening cash register loop was edited together for the song "Money," then states that Gilmour wasn't even in the room when it was created.

"The full story of what really happened is in my memoirs! So, I hope that whets your, and David and Polly’s appetites," Waters concludes.

:lol:

Whopping porky pies! Love it! Hadn’t heard that one before!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
City of Fools wrote:
Roger Waters has always reminded me of Jim Morrison. Brings lyrics, visual ideas etc....but he's not really a musician. He'd be nowhere without David. I really like David's solo stuff, he really is an incredible musician. Both of them have egos the size of Texas but I'd always pick David's side in a fight. Roger is a crazy person.

Same with Gilmour though. Hardly wrote a single lyric in his life. He has his wife Polly Sampson write his lyrics now. That is who Roger is referring to btw. Before that Bob Enron wrote for him when producing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj7pDNDuoJ0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
badrogue17 wrote:
Well except for the bands name, youre right

:lol:

Waters is a douchebag for not releasing the original concert film. They had it professionally shot because they thought they might use it in the movie. Howard Stern asked Waters about it and he said its probably sitting in his garage somewhere...

Here's a small part of it...the quality is excellent.

https://youtu.be/gz6NleUpTwk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Latest one is Make Me Smile. The isolated parts are just insane.

https://youtu.be/qFVpSjRUD2E

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
percusssion and guitar intro from tom petty & heartbreakers' 'here comes my girl'. very good stuff...according to the charts, very underrated song in 1980.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I can't watch him without going into at least a one hour viewing session. I had to stop myself just now because I was watching his well justified rant about Don Henley and Universal Music having 60 people issuing takedown notices regardless of any concept of fair use.

His analysis of Make Me Smile was amazing, even though I don't know the technical details of at least half of what he is trying to explain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
shirtless driver wrote:
If you like Beato's videos, I can pretty much guarantee that you will LOVE this heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Fucking awesome.
(It also helps if you have opinions on Weezer, one way or the other).
I am greatly looking forward to Pat's next video. :D 8) :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WeEyncm_jQ

I just saw this, and watched the linked video.

F'n awesome, indeed. Thanks, SD for the rec, I've now got stuff to watch all night!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:29 pm 

K Effective wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
If you like Beato's videos, I can pretty much guarantee that you will LOVE this heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Fucking awesome.
(It also helps if you have opinions on Weezer, one way or the other).
I am greatly looking forward to Pat's next video. :D 8) :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WeEyncm_jQ

I just saw this, and watched the linked video.

F'n awesome, indeed. Thanks, SD for the rec, I've now got stuff to watch all night!

Has that guy done anything new lately? Watched that and one other (can't recall what it was about, though) but haven't seen anything come across my feed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cOosnkWj2g

THIS one :lol: :lol: :lol:
What would the guitar solo of Stairway to Heaven sound like if it was performed by
1. Peter Frampton (interpreted by Beato)
2. Eddie Van Halen (interpreted by Phil X)
3. Eric Johnson

This is entertaining as hell. It goes to show just how perfect Jimmy Page nailed it. Man....Phil X totally captured the ghost of EVH

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWgz6ObgDI

This was a good one, Roundabout by Yes. Here are Bill Bruford's comments:

Bill Bruford wrote:
I enjoy Beato’s analyses; he always seems spot-on even with the over-use of the word ‘incredible’. At the faux-Latin breakdown (14’.06”) - “almost like a samba” - I tracked the three percussion parts: snare drum with snare off (no timbale), cow bell, and two pitched milk bottles two-thirds and half full of water respectively. The tempo of the track accelerates a few bars before and up to the drum fill at 20.27, after which we really dig in. No click-track here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:05 pm 

BigW72 wrote:

What would the guitar solo of Stairway to Heaven sound like if it was performed by
3. Eric Johnson

This is entertaining as hell. It goes to show just how perfect Jimmy Page nailed it. Man....Phil X totally captured the ghost of EVH

That was an awesome video. Just watched it. I liked all the replacement solos. I had to go back and listen to the original. :D It was nailed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Rick Beato says if you get 1 million YouTube views they give the creator $1,000. I think he can't monetize some of his videos because the people that work for whoever owns the music rights try to take down his videos or steal the money from his video.

Fair use is supposed to be for educational purposes, but it's not about what the law is. It's about whether the copyright holder sees an opportunity to make money and if they have lawyers to sue.

Rick is right about the money grubbing nature of music rights and copyright. Because of the people involved they try to take the money from his video ad revenue if he plays a song for 5 seconds.

Usually he is okay with demonetization of his videos, but if he gets three copyright strikes YouTube can pull his channel .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Rick Beato says if you get 1 million YouTube views they give the creator $1,000. I think he can't monetize some of his videos because the people that work for whoever owns the music rights try to take down his videos or steal the money from his video.

Fair use is supposed to be for educational purposes, but it's not about what the law is. It's about whether the copyright holder sees an opportunity to make money and if they have lawyers to sue.

Rick is right about the money grubbing nature of music rights and copyright. Because of the people involved they try to take the money from his video ad revenue if he plays a song for 5 seconds.

Usually he is okay with demonetization of his videos, but if he gets three copyright strikes YouTube can pull his channel .

Usually, if you created something, and some internet guy tells a million-plus people that your thing is GREAT!, you would be tickled pink.

I guess if the artist has an issue with breaking the song apart and explaining it like beato does, and owns the rights to the song, then they should be able to stop it. But, if it is some investment group that owns the rights, or a record company that did not even exist when it was recorded, F them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
anyone wanna tackle this one?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:44 pm 

So Rick is kinda doing a variation on this lately with What is this bands greatest song. Last week he did Xanadu ( not Olivia Newton John ) and this week he did Foreplay / (Me love you) Long Time. Tune in just to hear Brad Delp's isolated vocals and harmonies. Fucking amazing.

https://youtu.be/kd7ULRtAEVY

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:22 am 

Rick has done it . He's gon' interviewed the hit maker .

https://youtu.be/6uusF1iie88

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
blackhawksfan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Comfortably Numb is the greatest song of all time.

Give me your top 5 Pink Floyd songs.

1) Buy a gun
2) Load the Gun
3) Aim at my temple and pull the trigger

Then I don't have to listen to 4) or 5)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:50 pm 

BigW72 wrote:

3. Eric Johnson

Here’s a new one with him, Phil X and Ron Thal (Bumblefoot) playing the guitar solo from Back in Black.

https://youtu.be/kip6MkkYgKg