It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Reason I love this series is Rick Beato makes you appreciate parts of the song you never paid attention to before . He did it on More Than a Feeling which like everyone else Ive heard a billion times but when you isolate Brad Delp's vocals you're blown away . Most recent case was episode 102 with I Still Havent Found.... Its always been a vocal, Edge chiming away song for me but
Beato focuses on Larry Mullen's drum part and its amazing what he did in that song. This is the best thing on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/oT3KjbnGrhw

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Yeah, Rick displays an incredible amount of music theory and is very entertaining. I never miss a video.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
badrogue17 wrote:
Reason I love this series is Rick Beato makes you appreciate parts of the song you never paid attention to before . He did it on More Than a Feeling which like everyone else Ive heard a billion times but when you isolate Brad Delp's vocals you're blown away . Most recent case was episode 102 with I Still Havent Found.... Its always been a vocal, Edge chiming away song for me but
Beato focuses on Larry Mullen's drum part and its amazing what he did in that song. This is the best thing on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/oT3KjbnGrhw

Agreed. I used to turn off More Than a Feeling when it came on but after watching his WMTSG on it, I can't turn it off. And now I listen for some of those very subtle things that one normally cannot hear when the tune is cranked, like an acoustic guitar in one of the speakers, or keys or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm 

My favorite story from that first Boston album is Tom Scholz being told he needed to use the CBS recording studios, and after realizing he was smarter than their engineers, Scholz decided to record the album in his basement. To keep the bosses happy he would send the band to CBS studios but then would bring the band back to his house to re-record the tracks on his own equipment. When it was all done he presented the execs with his version and they realized his was infinitely better.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:
My favorite story from that first Boston album is Tom Scholz being told he needed to use the CBS recording studios, and after realizing he was smarter than their engineers, Scholz decided to record the album in his basement. To keep the bosses happy he would send the band to CBS studios but then would bring the band back to his house to re-record the tracks on his own equipment. When it was all done he presented the execs with his version and they realized his was infinitely better.

I am not saying I am 100% correct but the way I heard it was this. Scholz and Delp (vocals) recorded everything at his basement with Tom playing all the instruments on demos. Then they forced him to put the band together after the fact with pros.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:36 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I am not saying I am 100% correct but the way I heard it was this. Scholz and Delp (vocals) recorded everything at his basement with Tom playing all the instruments on demos. Then they forced him to put the band together after the fact with pros.

Yeah, I think that was certainly true for the drummer.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Scholz recorded the album as a highly polished demo. The label insisted the album be re-done in a professional studio with a producer. Scholz selected a producer where he agreed to take the money and he still used the demo recordings. It was mixed and released. The label never new the tracks recorded by Scholz in his basement were what was used for the record. Delp did the vocals. Sib did the drums. The rest was all Scholz. The band was put together for live shows pre-album and post album touring.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:49 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Sib's afro wouldnt fit into Scholz' basement.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I love Beato and his highly informative videos, but most of the time I don't think he actually explains what makes this song great.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:09 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
I love Beato and his highly informative videos, but most of the time I don't think he actually explains what makes this song great.

Agreed. It's a fun show to watch. I geek out over the isolated tracks...that alone is worth watching / listening.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I've watched a few of his videos. Pretty entertaining for mostly just a guy talking about classic rock. He's also done solid work with the band NEEDTOBREATHE.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Rick produced the band Flickerstick from the VH1 show "Bands on the Run". That was a great reality show. Good band too

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:51 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Rick produced the band Flickerstick from the VH1 show "Bands on the Run". That was a great reality show. Good band too

I thought I was the only one that actually liked that show :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:17 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

I thought I was the only one that actually liked that show :lol:

Oh yeah. I would put The Osbourne's Season 1 (after that they started scripting stuff) and Bands on the Run as two of the best reality shows ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:13 pm 

He went and did Comfortably Numb

https://youtu.be/5-gF-tmblA8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

The one he did on Polyphia was pretty interesting. Hadn't heard of that band before. Interesting song GOAT.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
If you like Beato's videos, I can pretty much guarantee that you will LOVE this heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Fucking awesome.
(It also helps if you have opinions on Weezer, one way or the other).
I am greatly looking forward to Pat's next video. :D 8) :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WeEyncm_jQ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:53 pm 

Comfortably Numb is the greatest song of all time. Have you guys heard Roger Waters lately? He's really going after Gilmour for some reason. What a nasty guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
shirtless driver wrote:
If you like Beato's videos, I can pretty much guarantee that you will LOVE this heartbreaking work of staggering genius.
Fucking awesome.

The "All Summer Long" episode is hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:16 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Fucking awesome.

I saw that channel and now I am going to have to watch it. Thanks for the recommendation!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:17 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Comfortably Numb is the greatest song of all time. Have you guys heard Roger Waters lately? He's really going after Gilmour for some reason. What a nasty guy.

Something about liner notes and digging Dave and his wife. Gilmour supposedly took more credit than he really did on recordings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:25 am 

pittmike wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Something about liner notes and digging Dave and his wife. Gilmour supposedly took more credit than he really did on recordings.

"This is a small part of an ongoing campaign by [Gilmour and his wife Polly Samson] to claim more credit for Dave on the work he did in Pink Floyd, 1967-1985, than is his due," Waters adds. "Yes he was, and is, a jolly good guitarist and singer. But, he has for the last 35 years told a lot of whopping porky pies about who did what in Pink Floyd when I was still in charge. There’s a lot of 'we did this' and 'we did that,' and 'I did this' and 'I did that.'"

Gilmour married Samson in 1994; she has served as a late-period co-writer on a number of his songs, both with Pink Floyd and as a solo artist.

Waters also revealed that he used his pandemic-mandated downtime to start work on his memoirs, which he promises will reveal more instances where Gilmour claims too much credit. As an example, Waters cites an interview where Gilmour discusses how an opening cash register loop was edited together for the song "Money," then states that Gilmour wasn't even in the room when it was created.

"The full story of what really happened is in my memoirs! So, I hope that whets your, and David and Polly’s appetites," Waters concludes.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:43 am 

badrogue17 wrote:

This was good. I did not know it was backing orchestration. I thought it was all Wright or Waters doing synths.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:59 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
blackhawksfan wrote:
Comfortably Numb is the greatest song of all time.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Yeah, it's not even the best Pink Floyd song of all time :lol:

Now....if we want to discuss David Gilmour's most soulful and beautiful guitar soloing...or the best song on "The Wall"....perhaps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:09 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
pittmike wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

"This is a small part of an ongoing campaign by [Gilmour and his wife Polly Samson] to claim more credit for Dave on the work he did in Pink Floyd, 1967-1985, than is his due," Waters adds. "Yes he was, and is, a jolly good guitarist and singer. But, he has for the last 35 years told a lot of whopping porky pies about who did what in Pink Floyd when I was still in charge. There’s a lot of 'we did this' and 'we did that,' and 'I did this' and 'I did that.'"

Gilmour married Samson in 1994; she has served as a late-period co-writer on a number of his songs, both with Pink Floyd and as a solo artist.

Waters also revealed that he used his pandemic-mandated downtime to start work on his memoirs, which he promises will reveal more instances where Gilmour claims too much credit. As an example, Waters cites an interview where Gilmour discusses how an opening cash register loop was edited together for the song "Money," then states that Gilmour wasn't even in the room when it was created.

"The full story of what really happened is in my memoirs! So, I hope that whets your, and David and Polly’s appetites," Waters concludes.

Roger seems like the kind of guy who is never happy. He just refuses to admit that The Wall was greatly improved with Gilmour's input. Dave's demo of Comfortably Numb is the backbone of the song, plus his solo is perhaps the best of all time. I think he also brought Run Like Hell and Young Lust to the album.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:15 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Now....if we want to discuss David Gilmour's most soulful and beautiful guitar soloing...or the best song on "The Wall"....perhaps.

Give me your top 5 Pink Floyd songs. Comfortably Numb for me is the perfect example of what makes the Waters/Gilmour collaboration so good. Gilmour brings the light, Waters brings the darkness. Plus, that guitar solo and they don't rip off old black guitarists like that perv Jimmy Page did.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:23 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Give me your top 5 Pink Floyd songs. Comfortably Numb for me is the perfect example of what makes the Waters/Gilmour collaboration so good. Gilmour brings the light, Waters brings the darkness. Plus, that guitar solo and they don't rip off old black guitarists like that perv Jimmy Page did.

Well except for the bands name, youre right

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:24 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
pittmike wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Roger seems like the kind of guy who is never happy. He just refuses to admit that The Wall was greatly improved with Gilmour's input. Dave's demo of Comfortably Numb is the backbone of the song, plus his solo is perhaps the best of all time. I think he also brought Run Like Hell and Young Lust to the album.

Yeah the CN demo was born when David was working on a solo LP.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Roger Waters has always reminded me of Jim Morrison. Brings lyrics, visual ideas etc....but he's not really a musician. He'd be nowhere without David. I really like David's solo stuff, he really is an incredible musician. Both of them have egos the size of Texas but I'd always pick David's side in a fight. Roger is a crazy person.