It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I think this is the greatest American rock band. You guys are mainly talking about their hits so lets go with "Sweet Home Alabama". We are all tired of that song because we have heard it a million times but it's a great song. The guitar work is so good and soulful (is that a word?) and the chorus is catchy.

If you want a great Lynyrd Skynyrd song that wasnt a single then check out "I Need You". Beautiful ballad. "Ever eaten your wife out while listening to this song before or after you took a shit?"

The best Skynyrd song is "Simple Man" though. Its played as much as "Sweet Home Alabama" but it doesn't get old.
It's one of the best songs of all time. The music and lyrics are beautiful. It's one of the best songs ever written.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:48 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Private Idaho wrote:
Nardi wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Private Idaho wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Between 73 and 74 when Ed King was still in the band? Were they pretty good live?

Yep, Aragon Ballroom in '74. Charlie Daniels, REO and Locomotive GT opened. I was born in '54, so still have a few years before I hit 70. :D

See, I knew someone saw them.

I'm skeptical. He called it the Ballroom, not the Brawlroom.

Good one, REO was so damn loud that night, everyone in our group wanted them to get off the stage It was a painful set. The only band louder in my concert going experience was Thin Lizzy at the Riv in '76. My ears haven't stopped ringing.

Loved the original LS. They opened with Workin' for MCA, played Ballad of Curtis Loew, Tuesdays Gone, it was a great show.

Sounds like it was time for them to fly.

REO used to play weddings downstate when they were starting. Before my time but my brother saw them there.

After watching the Spinal Tap bit "these go to 11", my buddies and I would joke about how the writers must have been at the REO/Thin Lizzy shows.

"It's called the American dream, because you'd have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:12 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Private Idaho wrote:
Nardi wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Private Idaho wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Between 73 and 74 when Ed King was still in the band? Were they pretty good live?

Yep, Aragon Ballroom in '74. Charlie Daniels, REO and Locomotive GT opened. I was born in '54, so still have a few years before I hit 70. :D

See, I knew someone saw them.

I'm skeptical. He called it the Ballroom, not the Brawlroom.

Good one, REO was so damn loud that night, everyone in our group wanted them to get off the stage It was a painful set. The only band louder in my concert going experience was Thin Lizzy at the Riv in '76. My ears haven't stopped ringing.

Loved the original LS. They opened with Workin' for MCA, played Ballad of Curtis Loew, Tuesdays Gone, it was a great show.

My loudest was AC/DC at B.Ginnings in Schaumburg. I think '78. Could have been '79.

Wow, great show. Bon Scott was the man. Here's the set list, it's killer!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/acdc/197 ... cf632.html

B. Ginnings and Poplar Creek were two of my fave venues... Sears razing Poplar Creek and replacing it with that janky indoor shit box was a joke. Idiots.

"It's called the American dream, because you'd have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
That Smell!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Tuesday's Gone is such a good song!

yes their best imo

Simple Man
Ballad of Curtis Loew

But I love “Was I Right or Wrong”. That song is real.

Ballad is never going to be considered a great song, but it's my favorite. Their albums don't have the same energy as their live shows, obviously.

Simple Man is a great song but it was really a tough one to sing. They've tuned it down significantly for the little brother. Ronnie was always on the edge live of not being able to hit the chorus.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
What color were Ronnie Van Zant's eyes?

Blue

One blew this way, one blew that way.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Leonard Skinner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7l0uD4iCGLk

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Private Idaho wrote:
B. Ginnings and Poplar Creek were two of my fave venues... Sears razing Poplar Creek and replacing it with that janky indoor shit box was a joke. Idiots.

I just heard about B. Ginnings a few months ago and was going to ask if anyone saw a show there. It sounded like a great venue. I was surprised at the bands that played there considering it was kind of a smaller venue. It would have been better to see a band there than at the arena where you had people lighting off fireworks and shit during the show.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: What??
MongoMuller wrote:
Private Idaho wrote:

I just heard about B. Ginnings a few months ago and was going to ask if anyone saw a show there. It sounded like a great venue. I was surprised at the bands that played there considering it was kind of a smaller venue. It would have been better to see a band there than at the arena where you had people lighting off fireworks and shit during the show.

B.Ginnings was great. Schaumburg sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Isn't this hot take about 40 years too late?

Pro Football Hall in Canton should reconsider Lynyrd Skynyrd - or invite Neil Young next year: Drew Tiene

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2021/ ... tiene.html

KENT, Ohio -- Professional football’s Concert for Legends, which will wind up the Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement ceremony in Canton this August, will be co-headlined by Lynyrd Skynyrd, a band whose music has sometimes been characterized as “redneck rock.” The band seems a questionable choice, especially given the fact that half of this year’s eight new Hall of Fame inductees are African American.

Lynyrd Skynyrd was originally from Florida, but the band’s signature song is “Sweet Home Alabama,” an ode to the “Heart of Dixie” state. Its second stanza complains about the songs of Neil Young, whose “Southern Man” critiqued the slavery-based white supremacist heritage of the antebellum South in lines like “I heard screamin’ and bullwhips cracking” and, “now your crosses are burning fast.”

Young also later wrote a song actually named “Alabama,” which advised that “the devil fools with the best laid plan” and suggested to the state that, “you got the rest of the union to help you along.”

Sweet Home Alabama’s anti-Young rebuttal concludes with the dismissive line, “a southern man don’t need him around anyhow.”

A subsequent stanza of the song describes how, “in Birmingham they love the governor.” That governor of Alabama was none other than George C. Wallace, one of the most prominent white supremacist politicians in American history. Wallace won the electoral votes of five southern states in the 1968 U.S. presidential election on a segregationist platform. For good measure, this same stanza also notes that, “Watergate does not bother me.” So the machinations of President Richard Nixon, whose questionable political practices resulted in his having to leave office under threat of impeachment, were just fine with Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The majority of professional football players are African American, in 2019 almost 60% of the league. The NFL. has struggled with racial issues in recent years, most notably when former San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick knelt, instead of standing, for the playing of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” as a protest against the unfair treatment of African Americans in the United States.