It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Get Back
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
There's these guys and there is everyone else. 2 hours in, fascinating stuff.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post subject: Re: Get Back
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I've enjoyed it so far. I've got about 10 minutes to go for Ep1. Some parts are very fascinating.

Paul just coming in one morning and basically playing Get Back before Lennon showed up was very cool.

Paul and George getting into it. I can see why George was getting pissed.

Watching them create Let It Be is tremendous. I love that song.

You can see why they all quit after this - except maybe Ringo. He seems very chill through all of this.

But, on the other hand, there's a lot of them just playing random shit and humming lyrics that they haven't written yet. It's interesting but there is a lot of it. I think if I were a musician I would be very much into that creative process. But, again, there is A LOT of that so far.

But, I'm enjoying it. Would recommend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I’m looking forward to it. I think it’s going to be fascinating to see how shit actually comes together at that level. Seems to me the difference between great and nothing is what this will show. Anyone has a chord or an idea. Make it something is the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
It's especially amazing considering Paul was dead and it was his body double creating all this brilliant music.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:49 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pittmike wrote:
I’m looking forward to it. I think it’s going to be fascinating to see how shit actually comes together at that level. Seems to me the difference between great and nothing is what this will show. Anyone has a chord or an idea. Make it something is the difference.

I think there was a part (some of it is hard to hear) where Paul tells George that a particular chord is out of style "it's so 2 years ago" or something like that. That's just crazy thinking process to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:50 pm 

For the record, I'm not saying Paul was wrong. I just can't imagine having that kind of thought process on music like that.

I thought music was timeless.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Hope they use the correct pronouns :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
At the risk of shit posting, was anyone out there clamoring for new Beatles content? I like their music fine, but much like Star Wars, I feel that we've reached our saturation point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:09 am 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Warren Newson wrote:
At the risk of shit posting, was anyone out there clamoring for new Beatles content? I like their music fine, but much like Star Wars, I feel that we've reached our saturation point.

I would say in this form, yes.

Another 90-minute piece that interviewed Dave Grohl on why he liked the Beatles with a Voice-Over/Broll of them at Shea Stadium, blah blah blah blah,,,then no I don't think there was any need for it.

But this is purely the Beatles (even though it's heavily edited, using audio clips paired with some random visuals of those that are speaking, which can be a bit disorienting). And it is truly a documentary. No narrator, no recreations, just a shitload of film captured "cinema verite" and given to an A-list director.

If you are going to watch this you need to do so with your phone put away and maybe the subtitles on. I'm sure many will find it tedious and slow at times, but that reflects the creative process itself. But like that creative process, there are many rewards, and the audience, if they are willing to put in the time might find it really enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:55 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Got an hour in and BORING! Had to turn it off.

Not very exciting or entertaining watching guys trying to sing unfinished songs.

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
It's especially amazing considering Paul was dead and it was his body double creating all this brilliant music.

Spot on. ‘Faul’ was much more talented than Paul. As we’ve witnessed now for the last 45 years. Now that is impressive!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:41 am 

This series is aimed at an audience that has an attention

span.

It's hard for some folks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:53 am 

Not trying to be a jagoff, it's just that this is different than what most people are consuming these days.

I love it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: What??
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Not trying to be a jagoff, it's just that this is different than what most people are consuming these days.

I love it.

It's not for the casual viewer. Therefore, I gave up on it after a half hour.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:44 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I've found it very interesting overall. It is definitely an awful lot of content but I am halfway through episode 2 and I think they have done a pretty good job of keeping it moving along at a decent pace. Over the years I collected a lot of the Anthology series and outtakes and so seeing some of that stuff come up during these sessions has been fun for me. Probably not for the casual fan but I really enjoy seeing the process of putting muscle and skin on these songs and turning them into what they are currently. Could definitely see why George was feeling that way and definitely seems like they all are a bit sick of one another and annoyed from time to time. Ringo is very relaxed and seems definitely like the peacemaker in the group. He really doesn't seem to contribute anything lyrically but I am sure he had some drumming ideas. You can really see how intrenched Yoko Ono was there at the end. How annoying to have her just constantly lurking around.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:20 am 

T-Bone wrote:
You can really see how intrenched Yoko Ono was there at the end. How annoying to have her just constantly lurking around.

It really drives it home to see how present she was. It was no secret but to actually watch for hours and days and the fact that she's literally sitting there knitting like the 5th Beatle while they are working is crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I am not a huge Beatles guy though I have always appreciated their work, and after one episode I have found this show fascinating. I really have enjoyed seeing the creative process like this, watching them work through things. Yoko lurking around John's shoulder the whole time, I would think that would have driven him (and the band) fucking crazy. Someone mentioned it above but turning on subtitles really helped.

And Ringo seems like a pretty cool dude, just doing his thing and being perfectly comfortable with his role.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
It's kind of crazy watching Paul just come up with Get Back. I'd also agree that Ringo is a fucking stud and I'd have him in my band. Outside of that, the rest of the show was kind of boring.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Nardi wrote:
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

I love it.

It's not for the casual viewer. Therefore, I gave up on it after a half hour.

That's one of the things that make this program odd. For the casual fan, it's way too much. For the mega fan, it's probably superfluous, they already know the back story of Let It Be. Therefore, it seems aimed at the big fan who wants to know the back story but hasn't already sought it out from the hundreds (maybe thousands) of books, articles, and documentaries that have already covered the topic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:28 pm 

Going to try watch it again tonight. See if it interests me. I think if you aren't a big Beatles fan you have to be in the right mood to watch this.

update - i did enjoy the She Came in thru the Bathroom Window part. Maybe because it's a song of theirs I actually like. That's a positive.

i haven't watched parts 2 and 3 yet, but I can tell you one thing - John Lennon would absolutely HATE this documentary. Because it makes it out like Paul is the leader of the band. Its not The Beatles but it's Paul McCartney and the Beatles. LIke the Beatles are a afterthought to Paul. That's why Lennon wanted to quit - because Paul's people were trying to push him as the Beatles and ignore everyone else.

Ok - I just saw Yoko making noises at the end of part 1. WTF was that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:32 am 

Part 2 is 100x better

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:22 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Part 2 is 100x better

Do you mean Wings?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Just finished the first episode and I really like it. Maybe the reason it's Paul-centric is because Lennon was often strung out on heroin during that period?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:18 am 

I should have a chance to wrap up ep 2 today and get into part 3. I don't know all that much about the timing and what kind of drugs the guys were on. I assumed Lennon was up to something since he was usually strolling in late but really no idea.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:46 pm 

Other thing I realized when starting ep 3. These guys are multi instrumentalists. Today if you have a team of writers and producers you are a star if you can sing and dance. Love the guys that can playtime actual music. The Band, who I love are examples, among others that can actually play live.

It’s also lightened my thoughts on Lennon. Obviously no one should be gunned down senselessly but I always thought he was more caustic in the breakup. I don’t see it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Just starting it now. It's such clear, high def film. Amazing. So surreal with Yoko knitting and that hare krishna dude in the background. Really cool window into a crazy world of creativity at their peak.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Warren Newson wrote:

Shitpost away. This is boomer bait. Content for those who are bored with having ruined society over fear of their own mortality.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:19 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Just starting it now. It's such clear, high def film. Amazing. So surreal with Yoko knitting and that hare krishna dude in the background. Really cool window into a crazy world of creativity at their peak.

That one bit with Yoko just screaming for 5 minutes straight into a mic....I get Jackson might have been trying to make an editorial point about her but....it was too much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:44 pm 

I just love this shit. My eyes are glassy and I've got fixed smile.

Oh shit, the hare krishna are multiplying.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:45 pm 

Such incredible voices.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:12 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Other thing I realized when starting ep 3. These guys are multi instrumentalists. Today if you have a team of writers and producers you are a star if you can sing and dance. Love the guys that can playtime actual music. The Band, who I love are examples, among others that can actually play live.

It’s also lightened my thoughts on Lennon. Obviously no one should be gunned down senselessly but I always thought he was more caustic in the breakup. I don’t see it.

what was happening then is the Eastman's (Paul's wife's family) where trying to push Paul as the Beatles. Make him the one and only front man. Sort of like when you think of the Stones you think of Mick first. The other 3 guys hated this.

And in the doc, you can clearly read Faul's mind thinking 'fuck these guys. i'm the best one here. i'm going solo or start my own band.' that's what faul was fed by his wife and her family and he was ready to leave.