It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Motown put out a lot of good records but, for my money, Reflections has to be the best. Agree? Disagree? Other honorable mentions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Warren Newson wrote:
Motown put out a lot of good records but, for my money, Reflections has to be the best. Agree? Disagree? Other honorable mentions?

Ya I got to say top 10, maybe top 5. But that entire Motown era was unbelievably good. Especially looking back on it today.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:20 pm 

It's their best song imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Warren Newson wrote:

What an amazing song. I'm sure I've heard it hundreds of times, but it still forces me to pay attention to it every time it's on. As far as Motown goes, I'm also a huge fan of "What Becomes of the Brokenhearte?" by Jimmy Ruffin.

Another great Motown song that isn't actually a Motown song is "Band of Gold" by Freda Payne, sister of one of the Supremes. It was secretly produced/written by a bunch of Motown guys, and I believe the instrumentalists on the record are actually the Motown house band. I love everything about this performance of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtauQj65_4w.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:36 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

What an amazing song. I'm sure I've heard it hundreds of times, but it still forces me to pay attention to it every time it's on. As far as Motown goes, I'm also a huge fan of "What Becomes of the Brokenhearte?" by Jimmy Ruffin.

Another great Motown song that isn't actually a Motown song is "Band of Gold" by Freda Payne, sister of one of the Supremes. It was secretly produced/written by a bunch of Motown guys, and I believe the instrumentalists on the record are actually the Motown house band. I love everything about this performance of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtauQj65_4w.

I always just assumed "Band of Gold" was Motown. They really weren't fooling anyone, the Motown influence definitely comes through.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I always just assumed "Band of Gold" was Motown. They really weren't fooling anyone, the Motown influence definitely comes through.

Yeah, it's kinda funny they thought they could get away with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Tall Midget wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Amazing song yes. Question: is it about a homosexual man or about a man with erectile dysfunction? Perhaps both?

But that night on our honeymoon
We stayed in separate rooms
I wait in the darkness of my lonely room
Filled with sadness, filled with gloom
Hoping soon
That you'll walk back through that door
And love me like you tried before

Discuss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Amazing song yes. Question: is it about a homosexual man or about a man with erectile dysfunction? Perhaps both?

But that night on our honeymoon
We stayed in separate rooms
I wait in the darkness of my lonely room
Filled with sadness, filled with gloom
Hoping soon
That you'll walk back through that door
And love me like you tried before

Discuss

It works either way of course, and it fits perfectly with the birth of the diva figure that was brought about by Motown.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:59 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Reflections and What Becomes of the Brokenhearted are the best Motown put out IMO. Great timeless songs!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Warren Newson wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

There are a ton of excellent Black Women one hit wonders.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Reflections and all supremes I love. But Berry made his cash of Smokey and the Temps etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
pittmike wrote:
Reflections and all supremes I love. But Berry made his cash of Smokey and the Temps etc.

Smokey is probably my fav. Fucking love the guy. All his songs are legendary.

And when everyone thought he was done in the late 70s, he comes out w/ this gem in 82 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P2a6aLDkkM

Look how cool of a cat he is in this video. they don't make them like they use to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Regular Reader wrote:

The sheer volume of great songs written by Holland-Dozier-Holland was incredible.

But my favorite Motown song still is a B-side, "If This World Were Mine" written by Marvin Gaye and sung as a duet with Tammi Terrell. I picked up one of their greatest hits albums from a sale bin in the 80s, probably at Rolling Stones out next to Harlem/Irving.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:01 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

The sheer volume of great songs written by Holland-Dozier-Holland was incredible.

But my favorite Motown song still is a B-side, "If This World Were Mine" written by Marvin Gaye and sung as a duet with Tammi Terrell. I picked up one of their greatest hits albums from a sale bin in the 80s, probably at Rolling Stones out next to Harlem/Irving.

I just checked it out, good under the radar tune. Most of Smokey's stuff is good and so is "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted," but I really think "Reflections" is a cut above. The classic Motown sound with a slightly trippy/psychedelic gloss, the amazing vocal performance (which, truth be told, almost all Motown records have), and the lyrics that tell a story but are loose enough to be generally wistful, really make it timeless and arresting. That song could come out today and it would still be cool.