It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Classical Music
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Besides rock music, I'm a fan of classical music, too. I usually go see the Elgin Symphony a couple times a year, but have paused because of COVID. But now I would go back for sure. If anyone's not familiar with this symphony, they play at the Hemmens Cultural Center in downtown Elgin. The sad thing is that the Elgin Symphony no longer has Andrew Grams as their conductor, I don't think. He might be on sabbatical. Graham has a great personality, good taste in classical music (except for Mahler, ah hem, not my favorite) and, of course, excellent control over his musicians. The last concert I went to there was the music of John Williams, where they played pieces of all the great scores of John Williams from the past, like Jaws, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, etc. People might think that Beethoven was the greatest symphony composer of all time, but I really think it is John Williams. His production of symphony masterpieces far surpasses Beethoven's. They didn't play Star Wars, unfortunately, that day which could have been a whole show unto itself.

If you were to ask me what his single greatest piece of music is, it's this piece from Raiders of the Lost Ark---the Miracle of the Ark, which comes at the end of the film, when the Nazi's are opening the Ark of the Covenant on the island. The passion, beautiful strings and counterpoint brilliancy in this music will never be eclipsed. Williams was truly at the top of his game here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diq1-cpk8Q4

Post subject: Re: Classical Music
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
I like that symphony that plays Metallica and Guns and Roses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
WVIK in the Quad Cities played a nice mix of classical along with soundtracks. It makes for a good listen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I still maintain that Wagner's "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" is the most powerful piece of music ever written.

Beethoven's Eroica Symphony, Mozart's Jupiter, and Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique are my orchestral top 3.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Augie wrote:
WVIK in the Quad Cities played a nice mix of classical along with soundtracks. It makes for a good listen.

I used to listen to them on Sunday mornings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Dignified Rube wrote:
The passion, beautiful strings and counterpoint brilliancy in this music will never be eclipsed.

o rly?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:29 pm 

I was also lucky enough to hear the Elgin Symphony perform this masterwork with Andrew Grahams conducting.

Copeland Symphony No. 3, 4th Movement. Commonly known as "Fanfare for the Common Man".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pXSKW8mkRM

This is the GOAT.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:34 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
If you were to ask "what would a poster named Dignified Rube post," the answer would be "I love classical music! My favorite? John Williams as played by the Elgin Symphony."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:50 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
If you were to ask "what would a poster named Dignified Rube post," the answer would be "I love classical music! My favorite? John Williams as played by the Elgin Symphony."

Do you know who else liked classical music, Curious Hair? Albert Einstein.

"As well as being the philosophical scientist he was, Einstein was also a musician. In one of his late journals he wrote, “If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music... I get most joy in life out of music.” Einstein played the violin and often liked to play chamber and solo recitals for his friends and family. From about the age of 13, he was a particular fan of Mozart sonatas and he loved studying the compositions. He did not have formal lessons and he taught himself."

https://www.abc.net.au/classic/programs ... %20himself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I love classical music. I think post say 1850s or early 1900s and beyond can be considered differently than those before that time. The world was so different. John williams is a great composer but so much of it is intertwined with great movies. I might even give an edge to Strauss or Verdi. I’m not a huge fan of Sondheim or Boulez.

Stravinsky, Bach, Wagner, mozart, Rachmaninov, tchaikovsky are all great but Beethoven is my favorite. I find it powerful and layered in a way that others aren’t. I’m always drawn to it emotionally. I don’t know a lot about music.

Hemmens is a nice venue. Lots of dance competitions there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:12 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
My favorite piece is "The Lark Ascending" by Ralph Vaughan Williams. "Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity" was always a favorite in high school. Couldn't talk my director into playing The Planets in wind ensemble, though not for lack of trying. I listen to Steve Reich when I do crosswords, usually "Music for a Large Ensemble."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
My favorite contemporary classical piece is City Noir, which has a number of incredibly difficult saxophone parts/solos that John Adams specifically wrote for the great saxophonist Tim McCallister. Incidentally, I am a huge fan of Tim McAllister's PRISM Quartet, which is one of the most interesting new music groups working today. They have brought saxophone virtuosity to a new level.