It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grunge
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I'm a fan, but I think it's just by virtue of being born during the Carter administration. If I was born ten years later or earlier, I don't think I would have any use for it. Also, it's kind of a dead end in rock history. After the initial wave of acts, it didn't really spawn anything interesting. Finally, I think there are definite tiers of Grunge acts:

1. Pearl Jam and Nirvana;
2. Soundgarden;
3. Alice In Chains and STP; and
4. Everyone else.

Thoughts? I made that list off the cuff, did I miss anyone?

Post subject: Re: Grunge
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Born just before the Carter administration. I like and listen to nearly every genre of music and grunge was the absolute worst. Ruined music for me for over a decade probably. Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder are the most painful. Black hole sun is a song that still makes me nauseous. Red Hot Chilli Peppers are a auto shut of for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:46 pm 

The Man wrote:
Born just before the Carter administration. I like and listen to nearly every genre of music and grunge was the absolute worst. Ruined music for me for over a decade probably. Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder are the most painful. Black hole sun is a song that still makes me nauseous. Red Hot Chilli Peppers are a auto shut of for me.

Pearl Jam is my favorite band, but I think a lot of the criticism is apt. There are basically two reasons why I like them. One, I was a certain age when they broke. Two, they're kind of Generation X's Rolling Stones. It's been fun following the same band for 30 years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
It was kind of rock and roll's last stand though, wasn't it? Name a good rock band that has come out since. I can't think of one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
how has nobody mentioned nirvana yet? it was a relatively short reign from sub-pop records to geffen records glory (nevermind) and then they did the hardest trick by coming back from their mega-pop-success and making a more artistic album..... before kurt had to fake his own death to get the fuck out of the game and away from courtney.... or courtney had him killed. pick one.

alls i know is she was real cozy with WILLIAM PATRICK CORGAN(TM) shortly after *giggles* THE DEATH!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:19 pm 

Franky T wrote:
It was kind of rock and roll's last stand though, wasn't it? Name a good rock band that has come out since. I can't think of one.

There have been plenty. You're forgetting about the Garage Rock scene of the early 00's (The White Stripes, The Strokes, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:21 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
how has nobody mentioned nirvana yet? it was a relatively short reign from sub-pop records to geffen records glory (nevermind) and then they did the hardest trick by coming back from their mega-pop-success and making a more artistic album..... before kurt had to fake his own death to get the fuck out of the game and away from courtney.... or courtney had him killed. pick one.

alls i know is she was real cozy with WILLIAM PATRICK CORGAN(TM) shortly after *giggles* THE DEATH!

Yep. Forgot about Smashing Pumpkins. I'll put them in the Soundgarden tier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Warren Newson wrote:
Franky T wrote:

There have been plenty. You're forgetting about the Garage Rock scene of the early 00's (The White Stripes, The Strokes, etc.).

Jack White carries the flag. Good point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

They're not grunge though. More like an update of Boston or Kansas for the 90s.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:42 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

They have the anthemic quality of the bands you listed, but have the ennui of grunge. Also, they have that quiet verse/shouted chorus dynamic of Nirvana and the Pixies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Rock will make a comeback. Mammoth WVH and Dirty Whatever etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

As long as Liddiard is playin' that red Jag, ROCK LIVES!

https://youtu.be/iQYK3sLxeCo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

If you mean you could understand the lyrics, I suppose that’s true.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Warren Newson wrote:
The Man wrote:

Pearl Jam is my favorite band, but I think a lot of the criticism is apt. There are basically two reasons why I like them. One, I was a certain age when they broke. Two, they're kind of Generation X's Rolling Stones. It's been fun following the same band for 30 years.

There’s another generation saying the same thing about Dave Matthews. Sad really.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

If you mean you could understand the lyrics, I suppose that’s true.

The guitars are super processed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
The Man wrote:

There’s another generation saying the same thing about Dave Matthews. Sad really.

Dave Matthews is just fucking awful. Even he has to be constantly drunk to stomach his own shows.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:56 pm 

Franky T wrote:

Rock is not dead. If rock music were a tree then the classic rock sound may be a branch that pretty much died but there are plenty of other branches still going. There have been plenty of good bands in the branches of punk, pop punk, emo, and all the variations of metal.

As far as that seattle grunge sound.....Alice in Chains rips and you can keep pretty much everyone else.. They are talented musicians but its just so damn boring of a sound. AIC sounds nothing like the rest of the scene.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:57 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
The Man wrote:

A couple things. One, fans of DMB and Pearl Jam are likely of the same generation. Two, DMB hasn't been anywhere near as prolific as Pearl Jam. No way that anyone would consider DMB to be the Rolling Stones of any generation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:15 pm 

Anybody remember The Gits? Man what a sad story.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:21 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The guitars are super processed.

plus the "band" as we know it lost its soul when billy kicked d'arcy out. say what you want about d'arcy but she was pumpkins through and through for all of her faults... it wasn't like she was gonna go join a perfect circle like james iha eventually did (he being arguably the greatest thing to come out of elk grove, legend has it his grandma was still around elk grove if you knew where to look but i didn't care. nor did i ever listen to a perfect circle. or the pumpkins for that matter)

but hey WILLIAM PATRICK CORGAN(TM) has a good thing going with the NWA so good luck and god bless!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
DMB hasn't been anywhere near as prolific as Pearl Jam.

I just can't understand why they have their own Sirius channel. So you can listen to "Ants Marching" and "Crash" ten times per day?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:42 am 

Worse.

Their concerts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I missed the grunge era real-time Nevermind was released bout 90 days after I got married, and I bought the album off of their first SNL appearance. Totally blown away by the quiet/loud break of Teen Spirit, I enjoyed the entire album. That lead to Metalica's Black Album and others.

My new wife, being a devout Christian, and having been subjected to a mid-80's-heavy-metal first serious boyfriend, was about as anti-rock/grunge as they come. Since there was still a chance I could score off her back then, I allowed the small head to do the thinking, and switched, jarringly, to country music. My testosterone-addled mind drifted from music altogether into talk radio, then sports talk radio, clearly the lowest-common-denominator of broadcast content. That, of course lead me here, nuff' said.

Only after starting my current job, working with some younger guys who grew up with grunge, did I begin to expose myself to the grunge genre in depth, loving every little nook and cranny. I still like finding some obscure grunge-era song that got overplayed in the early 1990s, but is new to me. I may have heard it a few times, but never saw the video, or listened intently. What a new awakening.

I may sing along in the car that " I can't find the butter, man" or "I'm a Loser, why don't you kill me..." but grunge is becoming passe' for me. I now feel energized by another missed era- JORR and his early punk compatriots.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Grunge pushed out the “big hair” bands of the late ‘80s. That alone is reason to like them.

On a separate note, if you read anything about Kurt Kobain’s suicide, it is very suspect. Courtney Love may have had him offed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I just can't understand why they have their own Sirius channel. So you can listen to "Ants Marching" and "Crash" ten times per day?

I hate that band, so I've never listened to the channel. However, 20-25 years ago, it was a pass time to trade DMB concert recordings on Napster and other music sharing services. I suspect the channel mostly plays live tracks.

Speaking of Live, that's another band that should probably go in that Alice In Chains tier.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:22 am 

Heisenberg wrote:
Grunge pushed out the “big hair” bands of the late ‘80s. That alone is reason to like them.

Agreed.

Amazing how so many musicians get timed out though. Good/great remains such.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:36 am 

Hair metal and the scene associated with it go so over cooked that it needed to end, however, a lot of the music rocks and I would listen to it over just about any grunge era band.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I hate that band, so I've never listened to the channel. However, 20-25 years ago, it was a pass time to trade DMB concert recordings on Napster and other music sharing services. I suspect the channel mostly plays live tracks.

Speaking of Live, that's another band that should probably go in that Alice In Chains tier.

Dude, Live gets credit just for writing the lyric, "...the placenta falls to the floor."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Hair metal and the scene associated with it go so over cooked that it needed to end, however, a lot of the music rocks and I would listen to it over just about any grunge era band.

Agreed. Prog metal was killed by grunge in the US but somehow continued to thrive in Europe. Maybe it was because there is more of a classical music element present, but I'm happy there is still quality metal and prog rock being produced today.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

Agreed. Prog metal was killed by grunge in the US but somehow continued to thrive in Europe. Maybe it was because there is more of a classical music element present, but I'm happy there is still quality metal and prog rock being produced today.

I always though it was odd / but cool that despite the backlash on metal of all kinds....Pantera and Dream Theater found a way to be successful.

The hair band era was very much a part of my formative years, so I can't hate on them too much. Agree with the others that it had gotten over-saturated and stale. The arrival of the grunge era was necessary and appreciated. Alice in Chains was probably my personal favorite out of all of the Seattle bands. I just wish the body of work could have been larger.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.