It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:48 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Tall Midget wrote:
Another single from Cruel Country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY9ZQMdRAY4.

I'm not sure it's country, though. It sounds more like Bread with a little more texture. Maybe they should have called it "Crusty Multigrain Bread".

"Tired of Taking It Out on You" is the name of the song, by the way.

Terrific pop tune.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:02 am 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
I feel like it certainly gets off the ground a lot more than Schmilco, Ode to Joy, or especially the solo project Welp Mom Has Cancer And That Sure Sucks, but it still doesn't get all the way there. I'm still eager for the rest of the album. I'll always have to give them a shot.

I've been revisiting Schmilco lately, especially in light of the negative comments about it here and elsewhere. I think it's really quite a good album. I'm surprised you don't like it given its obvious Lennon influences.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:09 am 
1000 CLUB

I'm listening to Cruel Country right now. It's closer to Mermaid Avenue or Uncle Tupelo's March 16-20 than it is AM or Being There. I like what I've heard so far.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:11 am 
1000 CLUB

I had to change my plans to attend Solid Sound. I'll be catching them when they come to Vermont in August instead.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
New double album where they're "doing country" for the "first time." Maybe they should have called it Used To Be There.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUr1bjehRDU it's..okay?

I heard this on Sirius yesterday and for a minute I thought it might be off this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2q6Q4Iq1z0

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:38 am 
1000 CLUB

CC could have used some editing. Some songs don't seem to belong on this album, and possibly not anywhere else. Still not done listening to it.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:45 am 
1000 CLUB

Major Grateful Dead vibe on some of these songs.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Major Grateful Dead vibe on some of these songs.

Noodlin' Nels!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I listened to it today. It was uneven, but there were some songs I really liked. Looking forward to giving it another spin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:15 am 
1000 CLUB

Upon further consideration: I think this is a pretty remarkable album and easily ranks among the band's best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Upon further consideration: I think this is a pretty remarkable album and easily ranks among the band's best.

Really? I see this as something for completists or Wilco diehards.

"Hearts Hard to Find" and "The Plains" are good songs. But there's nothing on here that grabs me like "Theologians" or "Whole Love" or anything with the emotional punch of "She's a Jar" or "Misunderstood."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

While I haven't yet fully digested it, my initial view is that this album is a meditation on the psychic and cultural effects of (neoliberal) national polarization. I like the album more and more with each listening and think there are a bunch of terrific songs on it, especially:

"I Am My Mother"
"Cruel Country"
"Hints"
"Ambulance"
"Bird Without a Tail"
"The Universe"
"Tired of Taking It Out on You"
"Hearts Hard to Find"
"Falling Apart"
"A Lifetime to Find"
"Mystery Binds"
"Sad Kind of Way"
"The Plains"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

I prefer my anti-neoliberal anthems to be a lot less oblique than Tweedy's best Dylanesque word salads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LilVDjL ... 50&index=3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It's growing on me, but I'm still a little too proud of myself for "lol more like Used To Be There" to deviate from that assessment. I do hear the Mermaid Avenue in it for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Wilco is pretty good, but can you imagine how great they would be with even more noodling? I know, let's add the guy from the Grateful Dead!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
one thing that amazes me about life is even tho i specialized in having free time from ages 24-38, i still never had enough time to listen to wilco. clearly my life is thoroughly incomplete and i'll hang my head in shame on the way to the dole queue for the rest of my sad subsidized existence, but still, at least i never had to deal with any of this crap.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:30 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I prefer my anti-neoliberal anthems to be a lot less oblique than Tweedy's best Dylanesque word salads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LilVDjL ... 50&index=3

:lol: I don't think Tweedy is really an anthemic kind of guy. CC feels like a chronicling of the effects of neoliberalism--most notably polarization--on individual subjectivity. The album is conceived within the constraints of the hegemonic political economy, and doesn't seem to be pointing to an outside. I guess that makes it alternately-rebellious-and-acquiescent-dad-rock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:44 am 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
It's growing on me, but I'm still a little too proud of myself for "lol more like Used To Be There" to deviate from that assessment. I do hear the Mermaid Avenue in it for sure.

You can hear a lot of old Wilco filtered through what Tweedy seems to view as the monolithic web of neoliberal polarization and social disintegration, particularly AM, Being There, Summerteeth, and Mermaid Avenue. The album recycles and reinvents the Tweedy canon as much as it revisits and revises the music of the Grateful Dead, CSNY, 70s country and 60s folk. It's an ambitious album both lyrically and musically--and more subtle than many reviewers have given it credit for being. It's a top four Wilco album for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:05 pm 

Can't wait to see them for the first time in March.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:36 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

You've never seen them live?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:36 am 

Franky T wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

You've never seen them live?

I haven't! Shameful, I know. I was never really a big live music guy for a long time. My ears fuzz out if volume gets too loud, like a blown speaker. It's only been in the last few years that I've chilled out, and every time I had tried to buy tickets before, they were sold out. I still need to catch Tindersticks and Radiohead live and then I'll have a row on my bingo card.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:54 am 

Amazing show last night. I looked at all three setlists and Sunday's was easily the best of the three as far as my favorites are concerned (it was a no-repeats thing). "Impossible Germany" into "Sunken Treasure," closed with "Reservations" and "Jesus, etc.," "Shot in the Arm," "Late Greats," and "On and On and On" for the encore. Got everything I could have asked for except "Poor Places" and "Shouldn't Be Ashamed," which I don't think they played any night and probably wouldn't have. They even did a Loose Fur song! I remember caring about Loose Fur.

All in all, they played half of Sky Blue Sky, which suits me just fine. Everyone says that album was when they became dad-rock (I think the p4k review for it actually coined the term "dad-rock"), but I've always loved that album. The decline didn't start until Schmilco.

EDIT: they did "Poor Places" on Saturday night, that's fine, I'll take it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:42 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Amazing show last night. I looked at all three setlists and Sunday's was easily the best of the three as far as my favorites are concerned (it was a no-repeats thing). "Impossible Germany" into "Sunken Treasure," closed with "Reservations" and "Jesus, etc.," "Shot in the Arm," "Late Greats," and "On and On and On" for the encore. Got everything I could have asked for except "Poor Places" and "Shouldn't Be Ashamed," which I don't think they played any night and probably wouldn't have. They even did a Loose Fur song! I remember caring about Loose Fur.

All in all, they played half of Sky Blue Sky, which suits me just fine. Everyone says that album was when they became dad-rock (I think the p4k review for it actually coined the term "dad-rock"), but I've always loved that album. The decline didn't start until Schmilco.

EDIT: they did "Poor Places" on Saturday night, that's fine, I'll take it

That sounds like an awesome first concert. All three set lists look pretty great. Really, what a catalogue they have.

I agree with you about Sky Blue Sky. I love that album.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:54 pm 

Yeah, not my first concert ever, of course, to be clear. Looking forward to Caroline Polachek and M83 in a few weeks. Those should be three very different crowds.

I think Sky Blue Sky is special to me because that was the first new album as a fan. I got into them right after A Ghost Is Born came out. First time getting to stream the debut with everyone else. I think it was the same week as Neon Bible or close to it. Good time for music. I miss it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:39 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, not my first concert ever, of course, to be clear.

I figured :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hussra wrote:

incredible run for the original Wilco from 95 to the release of Loose Fur in January 2003. In addition to the Wilco albums, the Woody Guthrie albums, backing/producing Tim Easton and Lonesome Bob and Handsome Family and others along the way. Have they produced an album's worth of comparable output across all their releases in the 20 years since

I finally watched this movie. It didn't change my opinion is that Tweedy is a great songwriter and Bennett was a genius in a way similar to Brian Wilson.

I also listened to the original Bennett mixes of YHF. I'm gonna say Jim O'Rourke ruined that record.

I have no issue with Tweedy wanting to run his band. Wilco is Tweedy. But I will say this- I'm 100% sure that it's personally important for Tweedy that others see him as a "good guy." That's probably the case for most people. And I think such virtue is really important in his social circles. And it obviously isn't virtuous to shove a guy out of a band that was making great music because of your ego or desire for control. So he had to pretend that Bennett was a bad guy and difficult to work with and it seems he used Sam Jones to cast Bennett in such a light.

Also, Coomer is salt of the earth. You can just tell what a good person he is.

I don't quibble with ambition taking precedence over relationships. But you don't get to also be a "good guy." Just own it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:
The fact that they have a legion of devoted followers is impressive bc they're basically the equivalent of sliced white bread

They're certainly not my favorite band, but I think you're way underselling Tweedy's songwriting here. The incarnation of the band with Bennett was a pretty special thing. Summerteeth is just an absolute masterpiece.

The problem came with the Kotche/Cline version of the band where Tweedy's brilliance was obscured by noise for the sake of noise. That's one thing when the songwriter in question is as common as someone like Thurston Moore. Then by all means make some weird and possibly interesting noises because the songs aren't very strong in the first place. But wreaking destruction on Tweedy's pop creations is like letting Jackson Pollock use the Mona Lisa as a canvass. It's criminal despite the fountains of jizz spurting from the cocks of critics over Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

But wasn't the noise on YHF a product of Bennett's influence? He's the one who famously warned against the "danger" of every Wilco song sounding like a folk song and introduced the noise aesthetic as a result. But t's not like this happened against Tweedy's will or something. After he launched Bennett, Tweedy amped up the noise aesthetic on AGIB, most notably by almost completely destroying one of his most beautiful songs, "Handshake Drugs", with extended feedback and distortion.

Yeah, but Bennett had a knack or genius to incorporate all these weird elements into a great pop song without burying the song itself. I think you can hear that on the original YHF.