It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Perfect Albums
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:50 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
RFDC wrote:
I like Hysteria. Not sure I would put it in the category of Perfect Album tho. But a solid listen IMO.

Women is a clunker IMO. I respect them for sticking with the drummer. They had to scrap the album and start over to work around the electric drums. Most bands look for any reason to dump the drummer. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
MongoMuller wrote:
RFDC wrote:
I like Hysteria. Not sure I would put it in the category of Perfect Album tho. But a solid listen IMO.

Women is a clunker IMO. I respect them for sticking with the drummer. They had to scrap the album and start over to work around the electric drums. Most bands look for any reason to dump the drummer. :lol:

Any rocker back in the day gave up on these dopes with Pour Some Sugar on Me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Replacements, Let it Be.

You could say "Gary's Got a Boner", "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out", and maybe even the cover of "Black Diamond" are filler, but the record would be less perfect without them.

I've had this conversation with CH. I know this is true of just about all music, but you had to be at the right place at the right time to appreciate that album. In my humble opinion Tim and Pleased to Meet Me are head and shoulders better. To me Let It Be mostly just sounds like noise.

I have to disagree. Pleased to Meet Me is definitely their best sounding album but both Let It Be and Tim had better songs. Tommy Ramone ruined Tim with a shitty mix. Jim Dickinson ruined "Can't Hardly Wait" with the Memphis Horns.

Let It Be has arguably Westerberg's best song- and that's saying a lot- in "I Will Dare" and then there's the raw emotion of "Unsatisfied", "Answering Machine", and "Sixteen Blue."

I read a review once where the writer said that Westerberg never made a great record without Bob Stinson. He made some good ones like Pleased to Meet Me and a couple of his solo albums, but nothing that measures up to Tim or Let It Be. "Sixteen Blue" isn't even a song I particularly like but Bob's solo on the outro is downright majestic.

I've never found the mix on Tim to be jarring. I'll listen to it again, and if you're right, you might have just ruined the album for me. :lol:

The good news is Ed Stasium has remixed the album for a Rhino reissue. If the rest of the tracks sound as good as "Left of the Dial" it's awesome:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Oi3z4xt ... Od7zXEq7VA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You could say "Gary's Got a Boner", "Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out", and maybe even the cover of "Black Diamond" are filler, but the record would be less perfect without them.

I've had this conversation with CH. I know this is true of just about all music, but you had to be at the right place at the right time to appreciate that album. In my humble opinion Tim and Pleased to Meet Me are head and shoulders better. To me Let It Be mostly just sounds like noise.

I have to disagree. Pleased to Meet Me is definitely their best sounding album but both Let It Be and Tim had better songs. Tommy Ramone ruined Tim with a shitty mix. Jim Dickinson ruined "Can't Hardly Wait" with the Memphis Horns.

Let It Be has arguably Westerberg's best song- and that's saying a lot- in "I Will Dare" and then there's the raw emotion of "Unsatisfied", "Answering Machine", and "Sixteen Blue."

I read a review once where the writer said that Westerberg never made a great record without Bob Stinson. He made some good ones like Pleased to Meet Me and a couple of his solo albums, but nothing that measures up to Tim or Let It Be. "Sixteen Blue" isn't even a song I particularly like but Bob's solo on the outro is downright majestic.

I've never found the mix on Tim to be jarring. I'll listen to it again, and if you're right, you might have just ruined the album for me. :lol:

The good news is Ed Stasium has remixed the album for a Rhino reissue. If the rest of the tracks sound as good as "Left of the Dial" it's awesome:

I went back and listened toTim. It doesn't sound great, but I think a lot of that was probably the limitations of the original recording. It has a very flat tinny sound. To my ear, the remix to which you linked sounds like more of a remaster than a remix. It has more definition and depth than the original.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:27 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I went back and listened toTim. It doesn't sound great, but I think a lot of that was probably the limitations of the original recording. It has a very flat tinny sound. To my ear, the remix to which you linked sounds like more of a remaster than a remix. It has more definition and depth than the original.

The record has been fixed. It's now as good as Let It Be.

https://spotify.link/lZ0dhWHLnDb