It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
doug - evergreen park wrote:
I thought it was great Spanks. It didn't make them look anything...that's how they were. Oh how I miss the brooding 90s.

:lol:

Yes, the brooding 90s were a great time to be in your 20s! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:51 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I completely forgot about it being on, oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
spanky wrote:
This doc made them look bad, IMO. What a bunch of posers. Waaah, everything is gloom and doom, I hate the spotlight - hey keep that camera on me when I'm talking! I wanna be anonymous - yet play football stadiums and sell millions of records and show up to every single award show that is on broadcast TV.

I disagree. If anything, it gave us a little bit of an understanding as to why they were/are they way they were/are. They went from playing club shows for a couple of hundred people to playing giant arenas in just a few months. I'm not sure how I would react to something like that either. I don't think there was a spin on it whatsoever. The guys were honest back in the early/mid 90s and they are honest now.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi702586393/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:34 pm 

PJ Radio is playing quite a few '95 shows recently. Last night was the New Orleans show in its entirety. Sounded like an audience recording, but still decent quality. I believe this was the night of the infamous Eddie and Jack McDowell incident.

Next year should be the No Code and Yield re-releases. Did anyone buy the vault release from a couple months ago? It was the Lollapalooza 2007 fan club only show at the Vic. I was extremely fortunate to be in attendance that night. I was ecstatic when they finally released the official boot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
redskingreg wrote:
Did anyone buy the vault release from a couple months ago? It was the Lollapalooza 2007 fan club only show at the Vic. I was extremely fortunate to be in attendance that night. I was ecstatic when they finally released the official boot.

I have a dozen or so of their Official Bootlegs- The Vic Vault Show is easily in the top 3. The iTunes only Lollapalooza show a few days later is forgettable. Another good one, though, is Bonnaroo 2008. Prime setlist, especially taking into account that it's a festival.

On the topic of quality setlists:

6/27/12
Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam

They had some sort of Ten Club contest- the winner got flown out to Amsterdam to build that night's setlist. I read something that the most important thing to him was getting Bugs into the set :? . In My Tree and Breathe look to have been scratched.

I'm still waiting for the Alpine Valley PJ20 shows. Every other show from that tour is right there for you to get. You can get a fan recording of both Alpine shows at pearljambootlegs.org , but I'd really rather relive it via a soundboard-quality recording, not some dude's iPhone-quality recording. It's obvious that they're going to package them into a box set or something along those lines, but there hasn't been so much as a word nearly a year later. In contrast, the rest of the shows were made available like a week after they were played. I'm seeing them in Atlanta next month, no doubt in my mind that I'll have that Bootleg before PJ20.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:08 pm 

Swingandalongonetoright wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
Did anyone buy the vault release from a couple months ago? It was the Lollapalooza 2007 fan club only show at the Vic. I was extremely fortunate to be in attendance that night. I was ecstatic when they finally released the official boot.

I have a dozen or so of their Official Bootlegs- The Vic Vault Show is easily in the top 3. The iTunes only Lollapalooza show a few days later is forgettable. Another good one, though, is Bonnaroo 2008. Prime setlist, especially taking into account that it's a festival.

On the topic of quality setlists:

6/27/12
Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam

They had some sort of Ten Club contest- the winner got flown out to Amsterdam to build that night's setlist. I read something that the most important thing to him was getting Bugs into the set :? . In My Tree and Breathe look to have been scratched.

I'm still waiting for the Alpine Valley PJ20 shows. Every other show from that tour is right there for you to get. You can get a fan recording of both Alpine shows at pearljambootlegs.org , but I'd really rather relive it via a soundboard-quality recording, not some dude's iPhone-quality recording. It's obvious that they're going to package them into a box set or something along those lines, but there hasn't been so much as a word nearly a year later. In contrast, the rest of the shows were made available like a week after they were played. I'm seeing them in Atlanta next month, no doubt in my mind that I'll have that Bootleg before PJ20.

I was under the assumption that PJ20 was getting the Spectrum bootlegs treatment, meaning a nice box set, but a long post-show release date. At least I hope so. I too was at PJ20. Would love the official recordings to surface. Enjoy the Atlanta set.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:53 pm 

This happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktI5U3YGplU

Weird.

Try not to focus on the camerawork of whatever invalid is shooting it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:15 pm 

Flew down to Atlanta for Music Midtown (Pearl Jam headlining) this past weekend. I have limited experience with festivals, but I figured that in order to cater to a broader audience, it was going to be a vanilla greatest hits set like their 2 previous US dates were- both also festival appearances (Made in America, Philadelphia and Deluna Fest, Pensacola Beach the night before Music Midtown). Here is where the practice of recording and releasing live albums of just about every show played creates an undesirable side effect- you've heard the songs a million times on the radio, and then an extra million times on the Bootleg cds. Now, they just get skipped over if you've got a cd in the stereo. Obviously they're going to have to include those songs when they're playing live, and you can't skip them or fast forward them.
Luckily for me, the only other time I've seen them was PJ20 at Alpine Valley, where the focus was largely deep cuts, so I haven't heard some of the standards of their catalog played in person. Making it even better, musically they were very tight. Coming off the European Tour and a show the night before I was expecting some sloppiness, but they were remarkably spot-on. Very impressive. I was surprisingly content with the set, either way.

9/22 Piedmont Park, Atlanta

Why Go
Save You
Animal
Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In a Small Town
Corduroy
Got Some
Amongst The Waves
Wishlist
Better Man/Save It For Later
Do The Evolution
Even Flow
Know Your Rights
Nothingman
Supersonic
Jeremy
Porch

Encore 1
Crazy Mary
Given To Fly
The Fixer
Rearviewmirror

Encore 2
Unthought Known
Black
Alive
Rockin' In The Free World

Highlight for me was Black, Nothingman was good stuff as well- two of my favorites when it comes to their radio-played/singles category. Set was a little over 2 hours. 50,000+ in attendance. Why Go is probably my least favorite of the ones they typically open a show with, I noticed Pensacola Beach the night before got Oceans...oh well. We sat through performances by Garbage, Ludacris, and Florence and the Machine in order to secure some sort of vantage point that wouldn't require using the Hubble Telescope to see the stage. By the time PJ hit the stage, we were completely sardined, and several people in my immediate area were blackout drunk, making it hard for them to keep their balance. Still, the crowd was pretty energetic, and it was worth the trip down to attend. We stayed at a hotel across I-75 from the Georgia Tech stadium, and they happened to be playing Miami on Saturday, so we got the college football experience before heading out to Piedmont Park. I'll never understand why people act the way they do about college football, but the tailgating made it smell pretty good outside, so there was that...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:03 am 

My first show was 12 years ago today. I feel old

Of The Girl
Go
Hail, Hail
Brain Of J.
Insignificance
Whipping
Light Years
State Of Love And Trust
Given To Fly
Animal
Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
Wishlist
In My Tree
Even Flow
Daughter
Better Man
Footsteps
Rearviewmirror
Breakerfall
U
Do The Evolution
Porch
Parting Ways
Sonic Reducer
Last Kiss
Yellow Ledbetter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:14 am 

redskingreg wrote:

:|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
spanky wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

:|

Yeah, but you are old.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

Pearl Jam official Twitter page wrote:
Code:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BBPFCGZCMAA16aB.jpg
#StayTuned

Chicago Cubs official Twitter page wrote:
Code:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BBOOpfjCAAIYMnw.jpg
#StayTuned

Stupid 700 pixel pictures!!

Worlds are colliding!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Heh. You feel old? I saw the legendary triple bill of Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, and Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Aragon when I was in high school. 1991. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
That's going to be an expensive yet very worth it ticket.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

I can't imagine that would be the only Chicago area show they play if they tour this summer/fall.

Actually this reminds me that I think I need to renew my 10Club membership.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 am 

25 or so PJ shows attended, and I've never paid more than face. Don't plan on starting either. Hoping I can have the GF score tix as my birthday present (July).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Would be a unique show and I am interested but likely won't bend over backwards to atttend.
I haven't heard many positive things about seeing a show there but if the weather was perfect
the atmosphere would be pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 am 
100000 CLUB

July 19th.

Fiancee's cousin is getting married that day. 2 years ago when they played Alpine Valley, I had a wedding to go to on her side.

Not ruling it out this year. If I can get good fanclub seats, I likely won't be at the wedding.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
July 19th.

Fiancee's cousin is getting married that day. 2 years ago when they played Alpine Valley, I had a wedding to go to on her side.

Not ruling it out this year. If I can get good fanclub seats, I likely won't be at the wedding.

To far to drive or housecleaning?

:P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
July 19th.

You sure like to bail on alot of weddings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Hawg Ass wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
July 19th.

To far to drive or housecleaning?

:P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
I was really excited about this at first, but then I remembered how bad the past three albums were for the most part and how little I want to hear most of the songs live.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 pm 

Backspacer was released three years ago, and yes, it sucked. I'll give you the Avocado blew as well. Riot Act isn't that bad. And it's not like they're touring to promote Backspacer. You know their catalog is deep. It won't be heavy on the new stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:12 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
Backspacer was released three years ago, and yes, it sucked. I'll give you the Avocado blew as well. Riot Act isn't that bad. And it's not like they're touring to promote Backspacer. You know their catalog is deep. It won't be heavy on the new stuff.

Riot Act was okay, but when I saw the show for that tour, many of the songs didn't play well live. Thumbing My Way, BushLeaguer, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:20 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Riot Act was okay, but when I saw the show for that tour, many of the songs didn't play well live. Thumbing My Way, BushLeaguer, etc.

:lol: Well if you pick two shitty songs to begin with, of course they're going to sound shitty live. All or None, 1/2 Full, Can't Keep, and Save You all translated well to live shows. They don't play a ton from Riot Act anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 pm 

Save You was good. I actually liked a lot of the stuff from Binaural live.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 pm 

Riot Act is definitely one that grows on you over time.

This show was long overdue. I entered the 10C drawing for tickets as soon as I saw this was happening. I wonder if they'll make like many of the other acts that play Wrigley and announce a second show after this first one sells out in 12 seconds. Second date or not, the nice thing about this show is that there won't be an opener, just 3 hours of PJ.

On top of this and the Canadian show that was announced, they'll also be announcing a fall US tour sometime soon. I really hope it's a late summer/early fall deal so that they play outdoors- unless it's a smaller venue, arena shows just seem to lack something IMO. I've been wanting to see any of my favorite acts play Red Rocks and/or The Gorge for a good long time. Can't call it summer without heading up to Alpine Valley for a show, either...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 pm 

Agreed, would love to see another Alpine Valley show. Would also like to see them one more time in a small venue. I was actually at the Who benefit show at the House of Blues where PJ opened. Its was an awesome night overall, worth the $1600 I paid.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:54 am 

Agreed, would love to see another Alpine Valley show. Would also like to see them one more time in a small venue. I was actually at the Who benefit show at the House of Blues where PJ opened. Its was an awesome night overall, worth the $1600 I paid.

I'd imagine. There's a boot of that show floating around on pearljambootlegs.org- not soundboard quality like their official releases, but good enough to conclude that it was great show.

T-Bone wrote:
Would be a unique show and I am interested but likely won't bend over backwards to atttend.
I haven't heard many positive things about seeing a show there but if the weather was perfect
the atmosphere would be pretty cool.

I've only seen one show at Wrigley and that was McCartney 2 summers ago- I thought Wrigley was great- much better than I expected it to be. My seat was in the upper tank on the 1B side, so McCartney looked like a flea, but he did have two giant videoboards. Sound-wise I had absolutely no complaints. It could be that my mind chose to remember it as a venue with great acoustics because it was McCartney, but at this point in his career I don't think he'd go for the kind of spectacle this was unless it was guaranteed that there would be no kinks. The park packed at night with the grandstand illuminated only by stage lights and the El running in the background was a surreal sight to behold, and is probably etched in my mind forever.

redskingreg wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

:lol: Well if you pick two shitty songs to begin with, of course they're going to sound shitty live. All or None, 1/2 Full, Can't Keep, and Save You all translated well to live shows. They don't play a ton from Riot Act anyway.

Really? I think Thumbing is great. The Benaroya Hall version is one of their better live recordings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWI_6CCXNvo

As for Bu$hleaguer, it very well might be the worst thing they've stamped their name on. I don't think I really even consider it to be an actual song. If anything, it ought to have been one of those hidden tracks after the last song is over but the track runs a few minutes of silence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next