It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Epic show. Epic night. Had a great time despite the rain. I too will post a better review later tonite or tomorrow.

One giant douchebag to Wrigley Field though. Somebody needed to get on the PA and give an update to the crowd. Something...anything. You had 40,000 people wondering what was happening, and drinking $8 beers. Fucking pitiful to not say anything to them.

1. Release
2. Nothingman
3. Present Tense
4. Hold On
5. Low Light
6. Come Back
7. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town

145 Minute Rain delay

8. All the Way
9. All Night
10. Do the Evolution
11. Setting Forth
12. Corduroy
13. Faithfull
14. Mind Your Manners
15. Lightning Bolt
16. State of Love and Trust
17. Wishlist
18. Even Flow
19. Leatherman
20. Eruption (Van Halen)
21. Bugs
22. Why Go
23. Unthought Known
24. Rearviewmirror

Encore

25. Future Days
26. Mother (Pink Floyd)
27. Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns (Mother Love Bone)
28. Porch
29. Wasted Reprise
30. Life Wasted
31. Black
32. Rockin’ in the Free World (Neil Young)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
What did you want them to say? There was still lightning to the west until 11:15. Once it passed, the stagehands and roadies were out there busting ass to set the stage back up again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Wrigley Field Speaks?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 am 
100000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
Wrigley Field Speaks?
Not so much speaks as it moans and groans. You'd be all over Jerry if the Sox pulled that.

Hoffy, somebody should have been on the PA saying just that. Something to the effect of we expect the storm to be gone in 30 minutes, 60 minutes, and we estimate a show start time of 11:15. Something. Anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:31 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Wrigley Field Speaks?
Not so much speaks as it moans and groans. You'd be all over Jerry if the Sox pulled that.

Hoffy, somebody should have been on the PA saying just that. Something to the effect of we expect the storm to be gone in 30 minutes, 60 minutes, and we estimate a show start time of 11:15. Something. Anything.

Jerry would have cancelled the rest of the show, pocketed all the parking and concession money, and then rescheduled it for sometime in August.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Wrigley Field Speaks?

I would think that's the concert organizer's responsibility. Wrigley Field is just a building.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:40 am 

I saw PJ at Alpine Valley in like 99 or 00. I like them a lot, but they didnt blow me away live. Just ok.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 am 
100000 CLUB

Kirkwood wrote:
I would think that's the concert organizer's responsibility. Wrigley Field is just a building.
Somebody dropped the ball, thats my point. Somebody with the Cubs, with Wrigley, or one of PJ's people should have announced something.

Roger, if it was hot out you saw them in '98. Admittedly they weren't in top form that tour because drummer Jack Irons quit literally 2 weeks before that tour was scheduled to begin. They recruited Matt Cameron and he had to learn like 80 songs in 2-3 weeks.

In 2000, it was 29 degrees at show time. That was the first time I saw them. Friday was was the 10th.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:36 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Somebody dropped the ball, thats my point. Somebody with the Cubs, with Wrigley, or one of PJ's people should have announced something.

Roger, if it was hot out you saw them in '98. Admittedly they weren't in top form that tour because drummer Jack Irons quit literally 2 weeks before that tour was scheduled to begin. They recruited Matt Cameron and he had to learn like 80 songs in 2-3 weeks.

In 2000, it was 29 degrees at show time. That was the first time I saw them. Friday was was the 10th.

No, it was 98.

It was ok. Just played their songs pretty well. Just nothing spectacular.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
1. Release
2. Nothingman
3. Present Tense
4. Hold On
5. Low Light
6. Come Back
7. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town

145 Minute Rain delay

8. All the Way
9. All Night
10. Do the Evolution
11. Setting Forth (Into the Wild soundtrack)
12. Corduroy
13. Faithfull
14. Mind Your Manners
15. Lightning Bolt
16. State of Love and Trust
17. Wishlist
18. Even Flow
19. Leatherman
20. Eruption (Van Halen)
21. Bugs
22. Why Go
23. Unthought Known
24. Rearviewmirror

Encore

25. Future Days
26. Mother (Pink Floyd)
27. Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns (Mother Love Bone)
28. Porch
29. Wasted Reprise
30. Life Wasted
31. Black
32. Rockin’ in the Free World (Neil Young)
Bolded songs I have never seen them do live. Italics songs I have seen only once.

Got to Wrigleyville about 4-415. Had a few beers at Bernie's. Place was crowded, but not packed when we got there. About an hour into our drinking, it was elbows and assholes. It was so crowded inside we opted to stand outside in the heat until we went into the stadium about 7. The merch lines were fucking ridiculous, though I did get 2 shirts during the rain delay (they were sold out of everything except shirts and hoodies by that point :( ).

I was on the field. Kudos to the 10 Club. I waited in line about 5 minutes for tickets, and ended up in section R row 18. Just a little bit left of the sound board (almost dead in front of Mike McCready), about 100 yards from the stage.

I expected 'Release' as the opener. Typically they do that in Chicago because the song is about his Dad who was from the area. Outside of that though, this setlist really didn't make any fucking sense :lol: :lol: . As a longtime Jamhead, typically I can get a feel for what song or what type of song is coming next as the show goes along. This one though there were so many curveballs it was great. Very mellow start to the show, but you could tell the band was in good spirits and even though he us pushing 50, outside of a few screams Eddie's voice was in top form (fuck off, Scorehead).

'Hold On' is a rare one, and 'Lowlight' is always a treat. I don't care much for 'Come Back', so at this point is when I went to stand in the merch line. After 'Small Town" Eddie said there was some "heavy stuff coming in" and that it should only last about 30-45min, but it would take 30min to clear the field. And clear the field they did. We were told to stand on the concourse, but it was so fucking hot and crowded down there I just put a poncho on and sat in the rain. Only had 1 beer. Stops raining, the crowd starts cheering, and ushers are telling us to head back to the field. But the field isn't open yet. Then it starts drizzling again, Frustration is setting in. People are drunk, hot, pissed off, and standing around with no information. Finally after about 45minutes of just standing there, the field opens up, and we head back to our seats.

After 2+ hours of sitting there, I certainly could have done without the Cubbie love, but I figured it was coming so I was prepared for it. I just sat down until they started playing again. Was cool to see Ernie Banks there, but he should not have had the mic. I don't believe that Wrigley is "his house."

Eddie thanks everybody for sticking around, and says that they were going to play until they kicked them off the stage, which ultimately proved to be accurate. With that, the launched into the first part of the set which was really heavy for the most part. Just what the crowd needed. 'Setting Forth' was a short unexpected treat off of Eddie's Into The Wild soundtrack. During the last part of 'Faithfull', Eddie thanks Mike, Stone, & Jeff for letting him join "their band" and having faith in him. He also thanks the crowd for having faith in the band and making the Pearl Jam community something very special. Then came the 2 new songs. I really liked 'Lighting Bolt.' 'Mind Your Manners' I'm just sort of "meh" about.

Mike plays almost the entire 'Even Flow' solo behind his head, and then Eddie says that Theo should sign him because he has 4 testicles. 4 balls and he takes his base. The rest of the band leaves the stage so Mike can play Eruption, and then in perhaps the strangest happening ever at a PJ show Eddie actually broke out the accordion to play 'Bugs.' 'Why Go' and 'RVM' were unbelievably tight. I always love the strobes at the jam out ending of RVM. It was funny. It was pushing 1am, and the band waves and says thanks after RVM, then leaves the stage. At this point, everybody sat down and it got real quiet (for the most part) in the park. Everybody was so damn tired, and knew they were coming out for an encore (typically they do 2 or 3), so nobody was wasting what little energy they had left to cheer for this.

'Future Days' was pretty cool, and 'Mother' was spot on. 'Chloe Dancer' before 'Crown of Thorns' is very rare, so that was cool. Eddie crowd surfs during 'Porch", and while the band is jamming in the middle of the song, he is pushing the lights hanging by the stage so they end up swinging all over the place. A couple of them went out after this actually.

Mike tore it up once again on the 'Black' solo. During the end of the song, Eddie says they have 5 minutes left, that if it was up to them they would play for another hour, but they didn't want to fuck it up for when they come back, or for other artists. So they had to oblige and 'RITFW' was played complete with the baseball lights on at 2am. Awesome fucking end to one killer show.

Not only did you have 40,000 people spilling out of the ballpark, but you had thousands of other drunken idiots crowding the street because all of the bars were now closed. We parked near the North & Clybourn redline stop (had lunch with a couple friends nearby), and we had to walk 2 miles south before we finally found an empty taxi to drive us the rest of the way. Friday I woke up at 5am to play golf with my Dad in the morning, napped for maybe 10 minutes after golf, and ended up crawling back into bed about 4:40am. Closest I have ever come to an all nighter.

If/when Pearl Jam plays Wrigley again, I'll be there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:51 am 
100000 CLUB

Oh I almost forgot. In true Die Sox White Fan fashion, as I was walking to the merch tent (which was in front of the pitchers mound), I spit on the infield. It was really cool to actually be walking around on an MLB baseball diamond actually. Got to walk by the dugout, bullpen, by the Ivy, along the warning track. It was pretty neat.

I will say though that the Cubs dugout is actually a shithole. The padding on the bench had all kinds of rips and tears in it, it was small, dingy, dark. I know there wasn't a baseball game that day, but it was just not a very welcoming looking place. Leaving the show we walked past the "hitting cages" under the bleachers which were also rundown and just looked awful. After seeing these uh, "amenities" first hand, I firmly believe that its at least a part of the reason as to why the Cubs haven't won anything in over 100 years. Its not the only reason, but its gotta be part of it. Hell, even the picnic area at the Cell is nicer than the dugout at Wrigley.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

Some pretty good stuff cut from the set due to curfew as you can see;

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:41 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Oh I almost forgot. In true Die Sox White Fan fashion, as I was walking to the merch tent (which was in front of the pitchers mound), I spit on the infield. It was really cool to actually be walking around on an MLB baseball diamond actually. Got to walk by the dugout, bullpen, by the Ivy, along the warning track. It was pretty neat.

I will say though that the Cubs dugout is actually a shithole. The padding on the bench had all kinds of rips and tears in it, it was small, dingy, dark. I know there wasn't a baseball game that day, but it was just not a very welcoming looking place. Leaving the show we walked past the "hitting cages" under the bleachers which were also rundown and just looked awful. After seeing these uh, "amenities" first hand, I firmly believe that its at least a part of the reason as to why the Cubs haven't won anything in over 100 years. Its not the only reason, but its gotta be part of it. Hell, even the picnic area at the Cell is nicer than the dugout at Wrigley.

I agree, the padding on the player's dugout bench and rundown hitting cages are the reason the Cubs haven't won a World Series in 105 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:46 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Some pretty good stuff cut from the set due to curfew as you can see;

I have no complaints for the songs missed. I've seen Alive, Yellow Ledbetter and Betterman enough times now. Seemed like most of the people on the ten club forums didn't mind missing these either. Would have liked to see a few of the following: Red Mosquito, In My Tree, I Got Shit, Breakerfall and Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:05 am 
100000 CLUB

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
I agree, the padding on the player's dugout bench and rundown hitting cages are the reason the Cubs haven't won a World Series in 105 years.
I said it was PART of the reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
Eddie Vedder "sings" like he swallowed a pint of concrete.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
even though he us pushing 50, outside of a few screams Eddie's voice was in top form (fuck off, Scorehead).

Frank, you don't like it when somebody rips on your favorite band? Interesting.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 am 

Chus wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
even though he us pushing 50, outside of a few screams Eddie's voice was in top form (fuck off, Scorehead).

:lol: :lol:

Relax Chus. This might be the first time Pearl Jam has ever played a longer show than Phish. You can't win'em all. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Chus wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Douchebag wrote:
Relax Chus. This might be the first time Pearl Jam has ever played a longer show than Phish.

The length of the shows had nothing to with my point. Phish didn't cut the show short, the city did. There was nowhere for 30,000 people to hide from the storm.

Douchebag wrote:
You can't win'em all. :wink:

This weekend was full of win for me.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:54 am 
100000 CLUB

o..k.....
Scorehead is an idiot. Instead of saying, "I don't really like Eddie's voice because..." he says his normal boneheaded 'if I think this way its a fact' type statement.

Sure I've made fun of the Phish community, but I've also said that I recognize that the musicians in the band are quite good. Their music (and community) just isn't my cup of tea.

Scorehead's weekend was also full of win. Theo made a trade, Speigs was off, and he had Yu's Mandarin. Its his world, we're just living in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:01 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I spit on the infield.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQXP6TDtW0w

Another single from the upcoming album .... "Sirens"
I like it alright, could see it growing on me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I really like it - Cameron's drumming, the piano lines, guitar/solos, Vedder's vocals - all of it.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

I had no idea that a classical type 12 string was even made.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"Mind Your Manners" is garbage. I feel bad for them every time I hear it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Curious Hair wrote:

Stay out of our thread, CH! We agree on Wilco. Keep away from my PJ.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:47 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, nothing good since Binaural.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:55 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I listened to Ten the other day to remember how good Pearl Jam was once. Their status as Important Band Of A Generation always seemed ill-gotten, though, like it's only because you-know-who died. But then again I guess people sort of treat Springsteen concerts the same way, and Springsteen hasn't had a great album since Nebraska, so...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:14 am 
100000 CLUB

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, nothing good since Binaural.
That is flat out not true.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

You can stream the new record for free on Itunes for a couple days. Not sure of some of the track names

Opening Track is really good
2nd is Mind your Manners
3rd im not too crazy about, cool bassline though
4th is Sirens which I really like
5th is the title track, Lightning Bolt. I really liked when they played it at Wrigley
thats as far as I;ve gotten so far

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:11 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Pearl Jam sucks & Eddie Vedder does sound like he just wallowed a pint of concrete. He is awful.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next