It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Faith No More reunion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
No word on dates yet, but count me as first in line if they come to Chicago.

From Pitchfork, who clearly is unaware of their own history of giving positive reviews to Mike Patton's "unbearable" side projects. Too bad it's not Thursday at 5PM....

Quote:
Years before Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails took scuzzed-out sonics and transgressive imagery to the mall-rock mainstream, the Bay Area funk-metal spazzes in Faith No More violated every form of conventional wisdom and wound up playing bigger venues than anyone could've predicted. Back in the late 1980s, Faith No More brought new-wave synth-sheen, skronky jazz textures, and awkward white-guy rapping to a profoundly regressive heavy-rock scene. An entire generation of kids fondly remembers being freaked the fuck out by the flopping fish and the exploding piano at the end of the "Epic" video. FNM's 1989 album The Real Thing, the LP that pushed the band's poppiest tendencies to new extremes without compromising their weirdness, basically blew my mind when I was 10, and it's still an all-time favorite. And in 1992, the band opened Guns N' Roses and Metallica's mammoth co-headlining stadium tour, which means they're the first band I ever saw live. The image of all those fists pumping in unison to "Epic" is one I still carry with me.

FNM broke up 11 years ago, and I've never held out much help for a reunion, mostly because frontman Mike Patton has had such success making god-awful unlistenable weirdo blorp-jazz. But according to a Tripwire report, Faith No More will reunite for a summer European tour. So far, details are scarce. The band hasn't announced any dates yet, and Patton isn't giving any interviews on the subject. The band will hit the road with what was their final lineup: Patton, keyboardist/Imperial Teen frontman Roddy Bottum, slap-bassist Billy Gould, drummer Mike Bordin, and guitarist Jon Hudson. The band has no plans for any American shows right now. There's also no word on any involvement from classic-era guitarist Jim Martin (he of the frizzy hair and Sally Jessy Raphael glasses), who may be too busy growing giant pumpkins to take part. Also no word on original vocalist Chuck Mosely, the guy who sang on "We Care a Lot" and who Patton replaced just in time for The Real Thing.

Real talk: This is awesome news. Patton's latter-day downtown noise-freak persona has been unbearable, and FNM was a huge influence on the late-90s tsunami of shitty rap-metal bands, so Faith No More never get their due when people talk about the early-90s alt-rock revolution. But this was a great band, and these reunion shows will almost certainly be a whole lot of fun.

In other Patton news, he's just scored his first movie. And what a movie! Crank 2: High Voltage, which opens on April 17, is the sequel to the frantic and hilarious 2006 stoner classic where Jason Statam has to keep his adrenaline up or he'll die. Patton's involvement in this is probably the logical conclusion of the man's longtime film-music fixation. Patton's scored a few video games, and he also did the voices for the screaming vampire zombies in I Am Legend. His Ipecac label has given deluxe reissues to Ennio Morricone scores. And The Director's Cut, the 2001 album from Patton's Fantomas project, turned iconic film-scores into scary metal, and it probably still ranks as the best thing Patton's done since Faith No More broke up. So I'm guardedly optimistic that Patton will know exactly how to soundtrack Jason Statham shooting cocaine into his eyeball or whatever.

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
We don't care a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:05 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Skronky?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I cannot wait!

You are an angel heading for a land of sunshine. And fortune is smiling upon you.
Prepare for a series of comfortable miracles. From fasting to feasting...
And life to you is a dashing, bold adventure
So sing and rejoice and sing and rejoice!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Europe only?
http://idolator.com/5159157/faith-no-mo ... ickets-now

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

shirtless driver wrote:

For now...I heard whispers of them possibly taking to the mega-festival circuit over the summer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Stinkfinger The Crow wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

For now...I heard whispers of them possibly taking to the mega-festival circuit over the summer.

this has lollapalooza written all over it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Stinkfinger The Crow wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:

this has lollapalooza written all over it.

I can't wait for Mike Patton to pour human waste on himself against the backdrop of the Chicago skyline at sunset on a hot summer evening.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
This should be interesting - For the most part, Patton's side projects and, well, anything other than FNM have been a waste of time, but I generally liked every Faith No More album and I do think that Patton's a friggin' musical genius - I know that millions would disagree, but to hell with 'em...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

if anyone thinks tomahawk mit gas, mr. bungle california, or the peeping tom album is a waste of time is not listening....at all...or it was far too ahead of it's time for your comprehension.

fantomas = sort of a waste of time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

if anyone thinks tomahawk mit gas, mr. bungle california, or the peeping tom album is a waste of time is not listening....at all...or it was far too ahead of it's time for your comprehension.

Dammit Doug, you beat me to it. Was about to type the exact same thing. Bungle's Disco Volante is far more challenging than either of their other two records, but it's worth it if you've got the patience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:12 pm 

Okay, I own the first Bungle album (and I was gonna bring it up, but I hated the second one) and yes, I do get the music and it was my opinion - I believe my opinion to be valid even though I don't play music on stage...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

disco volante requires more patience.

my playing on a stage has nothing to do with the fact that your opinion was wrong hwr. :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:51 pm 

disco volante requires more patience.

my playing on a stage has nothing to do with the fact that your opinion was wrong hwr. :P

Pompous musicians...yech!! :geek: Opinions are not fact...they are opinions and I disagree with you - I can't use an elitist tone with you because you're using your expertise (?) as a musician to tell me that I don't understand music - Dude, music cliches don't have any bearing on what someone finds to be music of substance - that's the beauty of an art form (such as music) -it is validated as an art form because it is appreciated as such...

Quote:
...Man, you can't hear Jimi...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

No Jim Martin, no thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

ugh...you don't have to go all SHARK on me and explain "art."
I get it. :P
:lol:

Opinions are fact when it comes to the art consuming public.

Why are you attacking me? Stink isn't a musician and he agrees with my statement!
:(
go yell-post at him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:59 pm 

ugh...you don't have to go all SHARK on me and explain "art."
I get it. :P
:lol:

Opinions are fact when it comes to the art consuming public.

Why are you attacking me? Stink isn't a musician and he agrees with my statement!
:(
go yell-post at him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: lmao - i'm not attacking@all, man - but callin' me SHARK is an attack to the nth degree :twisted: I just pride myself on not having someone else form my opinions for me on any subject and I happen to love music more than any art form...We're good :eye:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

alright.... 8)

do you have peeping tom or the tomahawk album? if not...pm me your address and i will burn you copies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
:oops: I liked Mr. Bungle.

Im excited, count me in for this one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:28 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I cannot believe Epic is 20 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:32 am 
1000 CLUB

the real thing is such a great album.

FNM on Arsenio playing Epic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:28 am 
1000 CLUB

the real thing is such a great album.

FNM on Arsenio playing Epic

Indeed it is, but unfortunately it spawned countless horrendous nu-metal acts, and relegated Faith No More to one-hit-wonder status to the vast majority of the music listening public, and "Epic" isn't even best song on the record. "Falling To Pieces" was a far catchier single that somehow got lost in the shuffle, and "Surprise! You're Dead!" would not sound out of place on a metal album released today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:44 am 
1000 CLUB

faith no more made it acceptable in ways that anthrax could not. 7 string guitars had as much to do with nu-metal as that song did.

jim martin's guitar tones on suprise your dead are essentially the standard for the new wave of american heavy metal we see today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 am 
1000 CLUB

...and as great as The Real Thing is, I feel it is dwarfed in every possible aspect by Angel Dust.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:58 am 
1000 CLUB

absolutely. has my favorite song, but isn't my favorite fnm disc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 pm 

King For a Day...Fool for a Lifetime I can't let ya leave that one out - Gentle Art of making Enemies is wonderfully obnoxious

Don't ya look so surprised - Happy Birthday, fucker!...Aw blow those candles out we're gonna kick you, kick you!! :D

Thanks for the offer of sendin me those discs, Doug - I appreciate it and I think I'll take you up on that...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

different guitar player though...trey spruance. he was the mr. bungle guitar player too.

my best friends birthday was yesterday....and with the news. that phrase was used quite a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 pm 

different guitar player though...trey spruance. he was the mr. bungle guitar player too.

my best friends birthday was yesterday....and with the news. that phrase was used quite a bit.

hahaha - nice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I personally thought Mike Patton's best work was the Nestle's White commercial...

Nestle makes the very best. N - E - S - T - L - E - S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGjDjKJWwvs

or the cover of the Commodores Easy Like Sunday Morning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7d6iCTqIM

On a serious note, I loved FNM. I saw them and Helmet at some club in Chicago in the early 1990's and loved it. I tried to get into Mr. Bungle (primarily due to my liking Angel Dust so much), but couldn't do it. The piano player, Roddy sumthin', is still playing, I'm told.... I can't remember which ban. I think Martin did something with Primus, an obvious favorite of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Roddy Bottum, the keyboardist, has been the lead singer and guitarist for the power-pop band Imperial Teen for some years now.

Mike Bordin, aka Puffy, has been drumming for Ozzy's backing band, and didn't really ever work with Primus, but Jim Martin was a guest player on "Eclectic Electric" on Primus' last release Antipop.