It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phish
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
live audio stream ~~~> http://mixlr.com/phishfiend/

10.31.2014 MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV

set one
Buried Alive
Ghost
Scent of a Mule
Sample in a Jar
Reba
46 Days
Big Black Furry Creatures From Mars
Lawnboy
Saw it Again
Tube
Wolfman's Brother

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:45 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KaQORj_eE0

Live video stream from Phish. Their server couldn't handle the traffic, so those who purchased the stream of the show have been refunded, and they are airing video on youtube for free. Stay classy, Phish.

B0$$

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:18 am 

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/123195/ ... and-Skinny

On Friday night Phish returned to Las Vegas for the first time since 2004 to begin a three-night stand at MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas. The band delivered a three-set Halloween show that included a second set musical costume of the 1964 Disney album of sound effects - Chilling, Thrilling Sounds Of The Haunted House. Yet to say the second set was a cover, would be off base. Phish created and performed a score of their own as they added original grooves to the soundtrack of Chilling, Thrilling Sounds Of The Haunted House. For the second year in a row, they made Halloween about showing the strengths of their own music rather than honoring someone else. The theatrical, art-rock second set also saw the stage setup like a graveyard with dancers roaming around throughout. Phish took their Halloween tradition to a new dimension on Friday night by creating and performing the perfect, spooky soundtrack for the occasion that melded all of their influences, while still donning a musical costume of sorts.

The quartet came out of the gates with a pair of fitting choices for the occasion - "Buried Alive" and "Ghost." The tour's second first set "Ghost" featured a powerful arena rock-tinged jam that might not have strayed outside the box, but featured impressive work from all four members of the band. Bassist Mike Gordon struggled with some of the lyrics to "Scent Of A Mule," which contained an interesting Mule Duel segment spotlighting Gordon and guitarist Trey Anastasio. Mike utilized a synth effect, which drove the crowd wild, while Trey threw in dark and droning notes of his own. The interesting section of the Mule Duel climaxed with Mike and Trey holding their instruments in the air and rubbing them against each other, which made for quite a wild scene. Drummer Jon Fishman didn't use his Marimba Lumina during "Scent Of A Mule" for the first time in 2014 and only the second time since the instrument was added to his arsenal. "Sample In A Jar" led into "Reba." The rhythm section of Fishman and Gordon set a solid base from which Anastasio was able to patiently build his fluid and beautiful solo with flourishes from keyboardist Page McConnell. Trey was in fine form throughout the set, particularly during an intense "46 Days." It was then on to the evening's first bustout - "Big Black Furry Creatures From Mars." The heaviest song in Phish's repertoire was last played on August 26, 2012 - a span of 87 shows. Page then showed off lounge skills that would serve him well in Las Vegas on "Lawn Boy." McConnell handed it off to Fish for a rare drum solo towards the end of the song. From there, Phish dived into their back catalog for just the second "Saw It Again" of the year and sixth since 2003. Another quick "Tube" emerged out of another fitting Halloween song - "Saw It Again." The set came to a close with a smoking "Wolfman's Brother."

When the lights went down for the second set, attendees witnessed a crazy scene on a stage set up to look like a graveyard. During the intro, a Haunted House was pushed out by stage hands as dancers dressed in ghoulish attire paraded around. It soon became clear the band was setup within the Haunted House and just like the famed Storage Jam from the group's Super Ball Festival, the crowd couldn't actually witness Phish performing. Phish added their own soundtrack to the sound effects and spoken word found on Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House that included a dark eerie score for "The Haunted House" and a more upbeat major-key section on "The Very Long Fuse." A little over ten minutes into the set, the walls of the Haunted House were exposed to show the band dressed in white tuxedos with zombie makeup. Phish's contribution to "The Dogs" was a catchy arena rock progression. Anastasio took one of his more high-octane solos of the year as the quartet vamped on their "The Dogs" progression. "Timber" was another guitar-heavy rocker, this one with wah- wah theatrics from Trey. The fourth track of the album also featured a meaty jam that contained outstanding interplay between the four members of Phish. "Your Pet Cat" was a funk workout with a "Tube"-like beat from Fish and staccato synth stabs from McConnell as the sounds of cats shrieking poured out over the PA. The song came to a climax when Anastasio unleashed a torrent of creative leads. Even Trey got into the act by adding some cat-like noises of his own to the mix.

"Shipwreck" was similar to other songs performed during the set as it started with a spoken word soundtrack from the original album as the zombiefied actors danced around stage and led into original music. This time around, the quartet unveiled a dreamy, Pink Floyd-esque progression. The voiceover then came back in and Phish followed the spoken word section with a gorgeous piece of ambient music that was reminiscent of The Siket Disc-era studio jams of the late '90s. As with the earlier tunes, Phish absolutely nailed "Shipwreck" with a confidence and cohesiveness that seemed to be missing from most shows this fall. "The Unsafe Bridge" was Phish's version of a Spaghetti Western soundtrack with elements of Genesis and The Beatles worked in. While the band played these songs, a team of LDs used lasers and other effects not usually seen at a Phish show to add to the insane spectacle. "The Chinese Water Torture" was scored with an upbeat groove that almost seemed like a mix of "Cars Trucks Buses" and "Axel F." There was a familiarity to all the progessions Phish debuted in the Haunted House, but this was Phish drawing on their influences and own music to create something completely new and original. "The Chinese Water Torture" also contained a potent jam filled with bombastic leads from Trey.

The set's penultimate song, "The Birds," showed off what Phish meant in the Playbill when they called Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House one of the heaviest albums of all-time. The Vermonters feasted on a groove that recalled the best of Traffic, Black Sabbath and Abbey Road era Beatles. All the while, a spoken word sample of "We Attack!!" was worked into the sound. It was on "The Birds" that Mike Gordon shined most as he connected with McConnell and Fish on a dark and dirty progression that Trey shredded over. The song continued with Gordon and Anastasio facing off against each other and dueling it out for a few glorious moments as Page hit his keys for more "We Attack!!" samples. Eventually, the Vermonters hooked up on an intense progression they worked over with Anastasio unleashing a wave of riffs that would've made Jimi Hendrix proud. The finale, "Martian Monster," was more of the same - a filthy, original Phish groove mixed with spoken word quotes, sound effects and vocal warbles as actors performed zombie-fied dances in the space surrounding the haunted house. McConnell's funky clavinet leads were at the forefront of the deliciously weird "Martian Monster," another winner in an hour- long set filled with ten of them. The set (and most of the show, for that matter) was also a moment any Phish fan who wanted to witness could do so as technical difficulties led LivePhish to offer the evening's webcast for free over YouTube.

The crowd was geared up as "Punch You In The Eye" made its tour debut to kick off the third and final set, appearing for only the second time in 2014. "Golden Age" was up next, the evening's first cover if you don't count the second set. Phish took "Golden Age" out for a spin with McConnell quickly jumping over to his Wurlitzer electric piano as Fishman altered his beat ever so slightly over the course of the exploration. There were a few times when it seemed the jam had petered out, but Trey didn't make a move towards "Tweezer" until "Golden Age" had shot its proverbial load. "Tweezer" was dripping in intensity. At first, the band patiently worked over the typical "Tweezer" chord progression with impressive results until all of the sudden they made a turn towards a bright, dreamy chord progression and eventually landed on "Heavy Things." The expertly-executed segue between the two is well worth the re- listen, even if the pre-solo portion of "Heavy Things" was one of the evening's few trainwrecks. After "Guyute" kept the energy high with its multiple peaks, "Sand" featured a soaring, well-built Anastasio solo that contained more impressive work from the guitarist. Just when "Sand" had hit its peak, the band pulled back and embarked on a second jam. McConnell took the lead on "Sand"s second jam as it seemed the band never wanted to stop playing the song. As Page milked the clavinet, Anastasio delivered thick, dirty riffs while Fishman pounded away and Gordon anchored the jam. When Phish fit a few funk breaks into the action, the crowd filled the space with "Woo"s. The quartet kept the instant classic "Sand" coming by engaging upon a heavy-hitting chord structure reminicent of Alice Cooper's "Schools Out." At the climax of the insane "Sand" second jam, Phish transitioned into "Tweezer Reprise." The roof nearly came off the MGM Grand Arena by the time "Tweezer Reprise" came to a close as the clock approached 1 a.m. local time. Anastasio was still full of energy, strutting around the stage with knees up high. As if the show wasn't strong enough, Phish came back by encoring with the cover debut of Leonard Cohen's "Is This What You Wanted," sung by Mike Gordon. The song contains the lines "And is this what you wanted, To live in a house that is haunted, By the ghost of you and me?" which fits the haunted house theme perfectly. Also, in answer to the question, yes, a show like Phish delivered in Las Vegas is exactly what we wanted. But wait...that's not all! Phish wasn't finished with us yet. Out came Page McConnell's Keytar, which once was owned by James Brown, for the return of "Frankenstein." The Edgar Winter Group cover, which famously opened the band's first musical costume show 20 years prior, returned after an absence of more than two years.

Phish returns to the MGM Grand Arena tomorrow night. A webcast is available via LivePhish.

Setlist...

10/31/2014 MGM Grand Garden Arena
Set 1: Buried Alive > Ghost, Scent of a Mule, Sample in a Jar, Reba, 46 Days, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Lawn Boy, Saw It Again > Tube, Wolfman's Brother

Set 2: The Haunted House[1], The Very Long Fuse[1], The Dogs[1], Timber[1], Your Pet Cat[1], Shipwreck[1], The Unsafe Bridge[1], The Chinese Water Torture[1], The Birds[1], Martian Monster[1]

Set 3: Punch You In the Eye > Golden Age > Tweezer -> Heavy Things, Guyute, Sand -> Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Is This What You Wanted[2], Frankenstein[3]

[1] Debut.
[2] Phish debut.
[3] Page on keytar.

The backdrop on the stage at the start of the show was a large gate adorned with a "P." During Lawn Boy, Page introduced Mike as "Michael Gordleone" and Fishman took a drum solo. Trey teased Saw It Again during Tube and San-Ho-Zay during Wolfman's. The musical costume was a set of original, mostly instrumental music played with the sound effects and narration of the 1964 Disneyland album Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House. Prior to the start of Set II, the stage was cleared of all band equipment, and a graveyard set was brought out. At the start of the set, smoke filled the stage, and zombies appeared behind the gate. When the gate opened, a large haunted house with the band inside was brought to the front of the stage. The sound effects and narration were played on the PA, while an undead narrator would emerge from a crypt inscribed with "ESTHER" prior to each song for the introduction. At the end of The Fuse, the sides of the house came down while sounds of an explosion were heard, and the band was revealed inside, dressed in white tuxedoes and with zombie face paint. Several zombies came to the front of the stage and danced during Martian Monster. At the conclusion of the set, the band members came down from the Haunted House riser, slowly walked to the front of the stage, and took bows, along with the entire cast of zombies. All songs during the second set were debuts, with the titles taken from the first ten tracks of Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House. Is This What You Wanted (Leonard Cohen) was a Phish debut. Page performed Frankenstein on keytar, which was played for the first time since July 1, 2012 (100 shows).

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:32 am 

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:44 am 

11/01/2014 MGM Grand Garden Arena -- Las Vegas, NV

Set 1: Fuego, My Soul, Back on the Train, 555, Dog Faced Boy, Fuck Your Face, Horn, Frankie Says > My Friend, My Friend, Roses Are Free, Roggae, Birds of a Feather, Wingsuit

Set 2: Possum, Crosseyed and Painless > Light -> Lengthwise > Twist > Wading in the Velvet Sea > Harry Hood > Golgi Apparatus > Backwards Down the Number Line

Encore: Waiting All Night, Sing Monica, The Star Spangled Banner

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:45 am 

11.02.2014 MGM Grand Garden Arena -- Las Vegas, NV

Set 1: Runaway Jim, Foam, Mexican Cousin, Ocelot, Sugar Shack, A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing, Halfway to the Moon, Bathtub Gin > Free, Walls of the Cave

Set 2: Chalk Dust Torture [1] > Piper > Theme From the Bottom > Wombat, David Bowie, The Line, You Enjoy Myself

Encore: The Moma Dance > Slave to the Traffic Light

[1] Unfinished.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:44 pm 

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:41 pm 

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:43 pm 

/

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:51 am 

Wednesday, 12/31/2014 -- American Airlines Arena, Miami, FL

Set 1: Sample in a Jar, The Wedge, 555, Heavy Things, Wolfman's Brother, Halfway to the Moon, Bouncing Around the Room, Kill Devil Falls, Train Song, Waiting All Night, Axilla, A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing

Set 2: Birds of a Feather, Ghost > Theme From the Bottom -> Cities > Chalk Dust Torture, Martian Monster

Set 3: Dem Bones[1] > Auld Lang Syne > The Dogs > Tweezer > Simple > Limb By Limb, Bug > Backwards Down the Number Line, The Horse > Silent in the Morning > Julius

Encore: Golgi Apparatus > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Phish debut; Fishman on vacuum.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:20 pm 

http://mixlr.com/the-kush-bush/

1.1.15 American Airlines Arena - Miami, FL

set one
Tube
Gumbo
David Bowie
Lawn Boy
Undermind
Yarmouth Road
Wingsuit
Poor Heart
Bathtub Gin

set two
Twist >
Piper >
Prince Caspian
Twenty Years Later
Winterqueen
Wading in the Velvet Sea
Run Like an Antelope
Rock N Roll (Velvet Underground)

encore
Meatstick

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:07 pm 

Video stream. http://m.ustream.tv/channel/nnjimmy

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:41 pm 

1.2.15 American Airlines Arena - Miami, FL

set one
Free
The Moma Dance
Possum
Roggae
Stash
Back on the Train
Sugar Shack
The Line
Ocelot
The Squirming Coil

set two
Mike's Song >
46 Days >
Weekapaug Groove
Fuego
Slave to the Traffic Light
Also Sprach Zarathustra
Walls of the Cave

encore
Sleeping Monkey
Rocky Top

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:43 pm 

1.3.15 American Airlines Arena - Miami, FL

set one
Maze
AC/DC Bag
Divided Sky
Cavern
Scent of a Mule
Plasma
Devotion to a Dream
Water in the Sky
Split Open and Melt
Character Zero

Set two
Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan >
Down With Disease >
Light
Sneaking Sally Through the Alley
Sand
Harry Hood
Suzy Greenberg

encore
Good Times, Bad Times

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:03 am 

Summer tour dates are supposed to be announced today.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:55 pm 

Giddyup!

July 21 Bend, OR—Les Schwab Amphitheater

July 22 Bend, OR—Les Schwab Amphitheater

July 24 Mountain View, CA—Shoreline Amphitheatre

July 25 Inglewood, CA—The Forum

July 28 Austin, TX—Austin360 Amphitheater

July 29 Grand Prairie, TX—Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie

July 31 Atlanta, GA—Aaron’s Amphitheatre at Lakewood

August 1 Atlanta, GA—Aaron’s Amphitheatre at Lakewood

August 2 Tuscaloosa, AL—Tuscaloosa Amphitheater

August 4 Nashville, TN—Riverfront Park Amphitheater

August 5 Kansas City, MO—Starlight Theatre

August 7 Cuyahoga Falls, OH—Blossom Music Center

August 8 East Troy, WI—Alpine Valley Music Theatre

August 9 East Troy, WI—Alpine Valley Music Theatre

August 11 Philadelphia, PA—Mann Center for the Performing Arts

August 12 Philadelphia, PA—Mann Center for the Performing Arts

August 14 Raleigh, NC—Walnut Creek Amphitheatre

August 15 Columbia, MD—Merriweather Post Pavilion

August 16 Columbia, MD—Merriweather Post Pavilion

August 21 Watkins Glen, NY—Magnaball

August 22 Watkins Glen, NY—Magnaball

August 23 Watkins Glen, NY—Magnaball

September 4 Commerce City, CO—Dick’s Sporting Goods Park

September 5 Commerce City, CO—Dick’s Sporting Goods Park

September 6 Commerce City, CO—Dick’s Sporting Goods Park

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Enjoy Chus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:59 pm 

You know I will.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Amazing group of talented people...I've seen them at least 10 times and the experience just wore down for me. I saw the OJ show in '94 at Eagles Auditorium and nothing has ever come close to that show. Last I saw them was around '98 and I haven't been inspired to go again.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:45 pm 

Chus wrote:

August 7 Cuyahoga Falls, OH—Blossom Music Center

August 8 East Troy, WI—Alpine Valley Music Theatre

August 9 East Troy, WI—Alpine Valley Music Theatre

My ticket request was successful.

GA Pit for Blossom and Sunday Alpine. Lawn for Saturday Alpine. 8)

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
As an olive branch to my fellow golfer Chus I humbly ask this question. I have never listened to one single note of Phish music ever. Always assumed they were substandard and only existed because the Dead went away. Are they really very good or is it the "experience"? If very good what is considered essential to sample?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Maybe a newcomer should start with Billy Breaths as its more mainstream and less jam bandy than you'd expect... Kinda like the Arista years for the dead. I fell in love with Rift first though myself.

Sorry. That question was for chus.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:52 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Maybe a newcomer should start with Billy Breaths as its more mainstream and less jam bandy than you'd expect... Kinda like the Arista years for the dead. I fell in love with Rift first though myself.

Its ok Darko.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:57 am 

Darkside wrote:

Feel free.

Billy Breathes and Hoist would be two good starting points.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:58 am 

pittmike wrote:
As an olive branch to my fellow golfer Chus I humbly ask this question. I have never listened to one single note of Phish music ever. Always assumed they were substandard and only existed because the Dead went away. Are they really very good or is it the "experience"? If very good what is considered essential to sample?

Tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10:00 AM EDT, for Cuyahoga Falls, OH. Buy a ticket, and meet me there. I will pop your cherry the right way.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:20 am 

As good as that sounds I would be returning from a week in LA just prior to the date of that show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Chus wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Feel free.

Billy Breathes and Hoist would be two good starting points.

Definitely "Hoist". As much as I loved the jam band element of them, Hoist has GREAT songs. Billy Breathes is also very good.

I think "Picture of Nectar" is accessible enough...it was my first introduction to Phish.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:15 am 

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:03 pm 

I wasn't initially planning on it, but a friend of mine in Columbus and I put together a trip to head out to Magnaball. I've never been to a fest of theirs before, so I'm quite excited.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:06 pm 

Kenny Rogers & Phish - The Gambler

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/kenny_ ... t_bonnaroo

<º)))><

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next