It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lollapalooza '09
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Kings of Leon will be among the headliners of this year's Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits festivals, Billboard sources have confirmed.

Depeche Mode, the Beastie Boys and Jane's Addiction are also playing Lollapalooza, which takes place in Chicago's Grant Park Aug 7-9, the Chicago Tribune reports and Billboard's sources confirm. Both events are produced by Austin, Texas-based C3 Productions.

Greg Kot says two other headliners will be named and rumors are that Tool will be one of the bands.

Post subject: Re: Lollapalooza '09
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Kings Of Leon :lol:
Depeche Mode - :D
Beastie Boys - :oops:
Jane's Addiction - ............ at least they have their original bass player this time. :alien:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:03 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Kings Of Leon :lol:
Depeche Mode - :D
Beastie Boys - :oops:
Jane's Addiction - ............ at least they have their original bass player this time. :alien:

I like Kings of Leon. I have one of their CD's, and like what I've heard from the other.

Depeche Mode is there because the majority of their (current) fan base is women age 30+.
Women age 30+ = $$$$$$$$ and :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:
That's a good thing for any promoter.

Beastie Boys have lost their 'A' game. And their 'B' for that matter. Would still like to see them again, but.....?

Jane's Addiction in 2009? Meh. Or maybe meh+.

Tool in 2009? See Jane's.

All of that being said, it's the best line-up of headliners I can remember in the last couple years.
If the rest of the line-up is semi-interesting to me, I would consider going. I just hate that it's always 100+ degrees when it comes to town.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spanky, what KOL album do you have? I love their first three, each album got better, but I really disliked the new one. They aren't much of a live act either.

Depeche Mode, could care less and it's Coachella sloppy seconds, but they'll draw a lot of people like Spank noted and it's their only midwestern show thats been announced.

Beastie Boys, eh, ten years ago sure. But they'll draw.

Janes Addiction had two great albums, but at this point they do nothing for me. Plus, Perry and Navarro have done nothing but act like fools over the past decade.

Tool is always great live, and seeing them in downtown Chicago would be pretty spectacular.

If you can afford it, the big fests are always fun regardless of the headliners. And if you wanna draw people you have to pander to old folks, not many bands that have come around recently can draw huge crowds. At this point, I preferred last years headliners. One current band that can draw are The Killers, and are rumored to be playing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:33 pm 

Rocks and Blows wrote:
Spanky, what KOL album do you have? I love their first three, each album got better, but I really disliked the new one. They aren't much of a live act either.

Beastie Boys, eh, ten years ago sure. But they'll draw.

I have 'Only by the Night'. I thought they only had 2 albums out - I just can't keep up w/ music as much as I used to. :oops: Or as much as would like to, for that matter.

My opinion changed on Beasties when I went to Tibetan Freedom Concert at Alpine Valley. They were far from the hi-light that day, though they should have been. They just seemed to be going through the motions. Rage was awesome that day, so was Cibo Matto. Eddie Vedder solo that day? Ugghhhh. Tracy Chapman? Gun in mouth stuff.
The downpour all day didn't help anybody. Nor did the ban on alcohol sales out of "respect for the Tibetan monks on the premises". Even though most of bands openly drank alcohol on stage. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:08 am 
1000 CLUB

Oh, that's the new one, not a fan of it but to each his own. They were huge in Europe and were looking to make an album that would get them more attention in the states, and it worked. If you like that you should check out Because of the Times. Songs like Camaro and Black Thumbnail. The Bucket is probably their most accessible single prior to the new ones and their first album Youth and Young Manhood is like southern garage rock if that sounds appealing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:10 am 

I was aware of the whole Europe/N. America popularity thing and the fact that they're all sibs/cousin, I just didn't realize they had 4 albums.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:14 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Women age 30+ = $$$$$$$$ and :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

I resemble that remark minus a few $. But yeah on my nights out I can be a Rockafeller. You got me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:25 am 

after missing the '93 year, i have never been interested in LOLlapalooza.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
Ben Folds was added to the lineup today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:58 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Tool's last album 10,000 days is arguably their best. I saw them summer of 07 and they were still great.

Saw Janes at the first Lolla revival in 2005? at the World. Also a great show.
Eric Avery is the bass player. His solo album is pretty good. but the Deconstruction album is where it's at...

Saw Beastie Boys twice already so...not totally interested.