It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Warren Newson wrote:
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:

Is he still trying to make an album named after every state? I haven't heard much of his stuff, but what I have heard seems a little too sensitive and fragile.

Ya know, I don't know. I thought I read once that that was a joke, but I'll be honest, I pretty much have only heard this album. A student ripped me a CD way back when, and I used to play it in class, and then one day I was just like, "I really like this." Anyway, I had to mail something to Highland, Illinois, yesterday, and so this album was on my mind because the first song on the album mentions Highland (and its UFO sighting).

I vaguely remember trying to listen to his next album but not getting very far.

I'm also a sucker for all things Illinois. I think the only truly country album I ever paid for was Brett Eldredge's Illinois. I realize that I'm the last person in the state with state pride, but I'm ok with that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
I'm also a sucker for all things Illinois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQuXuHBneOw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:40 pm 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
I'm also a sucker for all things Illinois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQuXuHBneOw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Warren Newson wrote:

Is he still trying to make an album named after every state? I haven't heard much of his stuff, but what I have heard seems a little too sensitive and fragile.

Ya know, I don't know. I thought I read once that that was a joke, but I'll be honest, I pretty much have only heard this album. A student ripped me a CD way back when, and I used to play it in class, and then one day I was just like, "I really like this." Anyway, I had to mail something to Highland, Illinois, yesterday, and so this album was on my mind because the first song on the album mentions Highland (and its UFO sighting).

I vaguely remember trying to listen to his next album but not getting very far.

I'm also a sucker for all things Illinois. I think the only truly country album I ever paid for was Brett Eldredge's Illinois. I realize that I'm the last person in the state with state pride, but I'm ok with that.

Michigan was a solid album, also check out this performance from Austin City Limits...

https://youtu.be/pga0GOT6gcE

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uNNhr2h5ISo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Warren Newson wrote:

I've got a few of his albums and it is good stuff but admittedly you need to be in the right mood and frame of mind for it. He put out a pretty somber album called Carrie & Lowell about his broken family but it really was therapeutic for me to listen to when my brother got sick and passed. Had a lot of windshield time driving out to NC and also driving to and from the hospital everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
T-Bone wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I've got a few of his albums and it is good stuff but admittedly you need to be in the right mood and frame of mind for it. He put out a pretty somber album called Carrie & Lowell about his broken family but it really was therapeutic for me to listen to when my brother got sick and passed. Had a lot of windshield time driving out to NC and also driving to and from the hospital everyday.

Lou Reed's Magic and Loss has always filled that somber reflect on death niche for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Warren Newson wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Lou Reed's Magic and Loss has always filled that somber reflect on death niche for me.

For me, it is Zevon's last CD he wrote and recorded while dying.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

For me, it is Zevon's last CD he wrote and recorded while dying.

The Wind is solid, but I'm such a big fan of his early stuff, every time I listen to it, I just want to listen to his self-titled album or Excitable Boy instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:07 pm 

https://youtu.be/Ad88C0C_nkQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:50 pm 

https://youtu.be/A3vrtwGKMv0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:47 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Scary Pockets' cover of How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLvohMX ... iliPeppers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I bought Slint's Spiderland when it first came out, probably because of Albini's review in Melody Maker. I tried listening to it, tried to give it a chance, but I could not get into it. I kind of just wrote it off as being "not my thing" and tossed it into a box where it sat for 30 years.

Over that 30 years the record became legendary and influenced many bands, most of whom I hate. Hello, Tortoise. But after reading about the 30th anniversary remaster and reissue I gave the album one more chance. I was at a much different place in my life than I was in 1991 and I understood the record in a way I hadn't back then. The emotion is just intense especially on "Washer" and "Good Morning, Captain."

I read the band members discussing the recording of the album, particularly Brian McMahan's vocal on "Good Morning, Captain" and his subsequent emotional breakdown and hospitalization. In the context of McMahan's strained relationship with his family at the time of the recording, the allegory of the shipwrecked captain is poignant to the point of being overwhelming.

In the last verse of the song McMahan seems to drop all the pretense of allegory and speak directly to his parents and his brother. "I miss you. I MISS YOU!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuqEpjc ... ZA&index=7

That's notable in that Neil Young does the same thing in the final verse of "Cortez the Killer", a song that Slint famously covered and which lays out a template for the entire Spiderland album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQlTesaKJr4

Anyway, rediscovering that record led me to seek out some of the stuff that was influenced by it. As I said above, I hate most of it and the very idea of "post rock." But I did find this track. I wouldn't even call it a song. I guess a "piece of music" is how I would describe it. I don't think I've cried more than five times since I was ten years old but as I listened to this I was overcome by emotion to the point that I started weeping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shvo9t2qznw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
why don't you like Tortoise ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Bagels wrote:

This may sound dumb after I just told you an instrumental made me cry, but I'm generally not big on instrumentals with some obvious exceptions like Kind of Blue.

Tortoise has never made me feel anything other than, "Oh, there's a bunch of guys who are really good at playing their instruments." Sort of the same way I feel about Joe Satriani.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:

This may sound dumb after I just told you an instrumental made me cry, but I'm generally not big on instrumentals with some obvious exceptions like Kind of Blue.

Tortoise has never made me feel anything other than, "Oh, there's a bunch of guys who are really good at playing their instruments." Sort of the same way I feel about Joe Satriani.

lot to unpack here. One, you don't like jazz other than Kind Of Blue apparently.

but a piece of MUSIC can't move you unless there is singing ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Bagels wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:

lot to unpack here. One, you don't like jazz other than Kind Of Blue apparently.

but a piece of MUSIC can't move you unless there is singing ?

I just used Kind of Blue as an example. I'm not even sure we should be discussing jazz in this conversation. I could have said Coltrane or whatever.

I just told you that Godspeed piece moved me to tears. I'm sure there are classical pieces that could in the right circumstances as well. I'm just not educated enough to know what they would be.

I'm open to the idea that I just don't understand Tortoise or that I'm not educated enough on what they're doing to grasp it. But I've enjoyed and been moved by the work of the members in other bands/contexts.

I generally don't care for rock instrumentals as most of the time it's either showboat stuff or background music. That's by necessity as it would be pretty boring otherwise. The Eno record is fine when I'm coked up and trying desperately to fall asleep.

But I would argue that the Spiderland songs could stand on their own as instrumentals and I'd still like them more than anything I've heard from Tortoise.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:57 am 

On my way to teach drum lessons this morning and WXRT is pounding out Synchronicity I by The Police and something new by a group called The Heavy Heavy...great start to the day.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:45 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Roth-era Van Halen. Reading a book about EVH called Tonechaser. The title is kind of lame but its a great book coming in at 600 pages.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:21 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I bought Slint's Spiderland when it first came out, probably because of Albini's review in Melody Maker. I tried listening to it, tried to give it a chance, but I could not get into it. I kind of just wrote it off as being "not my thing" and tossed it into a box where it sat for 30 years.

Over that 30 years the record became legendary and influenced many bands, most of whom I hate. Hello, Tortoise. But after reading about the 30th anniversary remaster and reissue I gave the album one more chance. I was at a much different place in my life than I was in 1991 and I understood the record in a way I hadn't back then. The emotion is just intense especially on "Washer" and "Good Morning, Captain."

I read the band members discussing the recording of the album, particularly Brian McMahan's vocal on "Good Morning, Captain" and his subsequent emotional breakdown and hospitalization. In the context of McMahan's strained relationship with his family at the time of the recording, the allegory of the shipwrecked captain is poignant to the point of being overwhelming.

In the last verse of the song McMahan seems to drop all the pretense of allegory and speak directly to his parents and his brother. "I miss you. I MISS YOU!"

That's notable in that Neil Young does the same thing in the final verse of "Cortez the Killer", a song that Slint famously covered and which lays out a template for the entire Spiderland album.

Anyway, rediscovering that record led me to seek out some of the stuff that was influenced by it. As I said above, I hate most of it and the very idea of "post rock." But I did find this track. I wouldn't even call it a song. I guess a "piece of music" is how I would describe it. I don't think I've cried more than five times since I was ten years old but as I listened to this I was overcome by emotion to the point that I started weeping:

Top shelf music criticism. JORR writing about music is always worth reading.

I wouldn't have expected JORR to be the one to drop a GY!BE link on dis here forum. Saw Godspeed with Black Dice once at Abbey. They brought their own sound system. As did Super Furry Animals at the same venue. There was another band before Black Dice, who middled before GY!BE. By the time Godspeed took the stage, the only people left in the audience were the ones with the best drugs.

Never saw Slint, not even on a reunion tour. I did see The For Carnation a time or two. First time I saw the For Carnation was in the basement of St Andrew's Hall in Detroit. I was there to see Roni Size upstairs but you could pay extra and drift between shows, '3 floors of fun' they called it. and yeah still mining the vein of Cortez. Recall the sound guy at the St Andrews basement show (aka The Shelter) going berserk trying mix TFC's low-fi sound while the EDM show upstairs protruded into the space.

Never much cared for Tortoise either. I enjoy their bassists's other project, Eleventh Dream Day; who were sorta Slintish in their sound.

Also, one of the members of Tortoise got mad at me at the Rainbo one night and started poking me in the chest like a freaking girl. Called me a bully and said someone should kick my ass, but he was not interested in being that guy it turned out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:36 pm 

At the rehearsal studio streaming Ween Live From the Brooklyn Bowl in Vegas (they're there tonight through Saturday), opened with Piss Up a Rope and just tearing it up ..

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbJjT0l ... cpreserver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
As I said above, I hate most of it and the very idea of "post rock." But I did find this track. I wouldn't even call it a song. I guess a "piece of music" is how I would describe it. I don't think I've cried more than five times since I was ten years old but as I listened to this I was overcome by emotion to the point that I started weeping:

Godspeed You ! Black Emperor are fantastic, the best of the gaggle of post-rock bands I have listened to. Whole album (LYSF) is great. Reminds me of the late aughts. Mogwai, Tortoise, Sam Jack 5....I'm missing another few.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:46 am 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Over that 30 years the record became legendary and influenced many bands, most of whom I hate. Hello, Tortoise. But after reading about the 30th anniversary remaster and reissue I gave the album one more chance. [bI was at a much different place in my life][/b] than I was in 1991 and I understood the record in a way I hadn't back then. The emotion is just intense especially on "Washer" and "Good Morning, Captain."

I love music so much.

I think the reason music is important to us isn't because of the Beats Per Minutes, or the artists...it's where it intersects with our lives that makes it truly memorable. And because of that you can't tell me that Chicago's "Feeling Stronger Every Day" playing at a party in '73, when I got me up the shirt of a Junior High Classmate isn't a classic well then you are simply wrong...and not trying to diminish JORR's original post, just about where, and when, music enters our life has a huge impact on all of us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:26 am 
Site Admin

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
And because of that you can't tell me that Chicago's "Feeling Stronger Every Day" playing at a party in '73, when I got me up the shirt of a Junior High Classmate isn't a classic well then you are simply wrong

I completely agree. The way the song makes you feel is everything.

Something that has happened to me more than once is that I've heard a song in the context of a movie or a television show and it affected me emotionally. So I sought it out and it simply did not have the same emotional punch for me once it was divorced from the visual medium.

Just recently I heard a song in a trailer for the movie, A Good Person. I don't know if it''s a good movie or not. I'll probably see it. It seems like something that could get Oscar consideration, but it may just be maudlin crap. Anyway, the song is definitely emotional and stands on its own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRkodAoRK34

I feel the same way about drinking wine. The time and the place matters. Some friends and I went to a tasting at a place in Napa. It was at the house of the guy who owned the vineyard, just a ranchhouse like you'd see in a Schaumburg subdivision, except it was on the side of a mountain overlooking the vineyard. The owner's 30ish daughter who was super cute and personable did the tasting for us. It was a gorgeous California day. We all thought it was one of the best wines we ever had and we ended up buying about $7000 worth of it. We got the wine back in Chicago and none of us has ever thought it was as good as it was when we tasted on the mountain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:40 am 

i first heard of slint back in high school when my friend etched their name into his desk in biology class. i was like, "what's that?" and he said it was a band. the first thing i bought was the 2-song EP with the dead guy picture on the cover. then i got "tweez" and then "spiderland". the CDs always said "this was meant to be listened to on vinyl". i didn't have a record player nor could i ever find vinyl records (until i went to sub pop years later when i visited my sister in seattle).

i still haven't heard them as they were meant to be heard but i think i always liked "tweez" better than "spiderland". no idea why.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:52 am 
Site Admin

W_Z wrote:
i first heard of slint back in high school when my friend etched their name into his desk in biology class. i was like, "what's that?" and he said it was a band. the first thing i bought was the 2-song EP with the dead guy picture on the cover. then i got "tweez" and then "spiderland". the CDs always said "this was meant to be listened to on vinyl". i didn't have a record player nor could i ever find vinyl records (until i went to sub pop years later when i visited my sister in seattle).

i still haven't heard them as they were meant to be heard but i think i always liked "tweez" better than "spiderland". no idea why.

To me, Tweez is more like the "post rock" stuff I dislike. There's a lot of musicianship for the sake of musicianship rather than what I would call real songs. Of course, the drums sound great because Albini recorded it. An interesting thing about Slint is that the drummer is the main guy.

That two song single is like a bridge to Spiderland. "Glenn" is an instrumental with a lot of emotional power. These guys were laying out the template for their masterpiece.

I don't lament that they stopped after Spiderland. That's a feature, not a bug. The mystique would not exist if they had gone on to produce lesser records and I think they would have had to be lesser records.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185  Next