It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
BigW72 wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
I bet MTV played that a billion times.

Still pretty great. Man they were fantastic before Synchronicity

If I recall what Andy had to say in "One Train Later" that song was basically a little guitar and then Stewart's drums added to the demo made by Sting with the keyboardist. My avatar is my favorite Police album...after Synchronicity I the rest of the album fades for me Jet. Copeland was my guy as a kid picking up the sticks. I still crank my snares, have smaller hi hats, and a splash or two.

I like Synchronicity, but it's definitely more of a Sting solo album v The Police we were all used to.

The song Synchronicity II....THAT's the jam....Always wanted that in my cover band set list.

Yes, the old Stewart Copland cracking snare is legendary. Great sound.

While a Tama endorsee it was actually a Pearl Jupiter Model (or All Purpose Model according to Todd Sucherman) with the vent hole near the bottom rim. Todd Sucherman (drummer extraordinaire for Styx) posted a few years ago that is was NOT a Jupiter and Jeff Seitz (Stewart's long time roadie/tech) chimed in here...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0850471267

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

Last edited by Harvard Dan on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Tully Hall
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Copeland started doing tv/film scoring toward the end.

Andy Summers was also in TV. Anyone remember the series, "The Hitchhiker" on HBO from the '80s? It was that decade's version of the Twilight Zone. Andy Summers was in an episode called, "The Legendary Billy B". I think you can still find it on Youtube. The episode stars Kirstie Alley in her prime and Brian Dourif, famous for his role in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. I'm not a big horror guy, but I found the episode really haunting as a teenager.

Yes, because everyone will remember BRAD Dourif for One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest only.

I can't think of anything else he ever did...

He was The Gemini.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Harvard Dan wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
I bet MTV played that a billion times.

Still pretty great. Man they were fantastic before Synchronicity

If I recall what Andy had to say in "One Train Later" that song was basically a little guitar and then Stewart's drums added to the demo made by Sting with the keyboardist. My avatar is my favorite Police album...after Synchronicity I the rest of the album fades for me Jet. Copeland was my guy as a kid picking up the sticks. I still crank my snares, have smaller hi hats, and a splash or two.

I like Synchronicity, but it's definitely more of a Sting solo album v The Police we were all used to.

The song Synchronicity II....THAT's the jam....Always wanted that in my cover band set list.

Yes, the old Stewart Copland cracking snare is legendary. Great sound.

While a Tama endorsee it was actually a Pearl Jupiter Model with the vent hole near the bottom rim.

Same with Jimmy Chamberlin.....Yamaha set for as long as I can remember, but used a Pearl Free-floating snare. Then years later, Butch Vig said the snare from Gish was his and it was some 80's metal Yamaha snare.

Best sounding snare drums....there's a rabbit hole :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Fr. Damien Karras, SJ wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Andy Summers was also in TV. Anyone remember the series, "The Hitchhiker" on HBO from the '80s? It was that decade's version of the Twilight Zone. Andy Summers was in an episode called, "The Legendary Billy B". I think you can still find it on Youtube. The episode stars Kirstie Alley in her prime and Brian Dourif, famous for his role in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. I'm not a big horror guy, but I found the episode really haunting as a teenager.

Yes, because everyone will remember BRAD Dourif for One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest only.

He was The Gemini.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm actually watching The Exorcist at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
BigW72 wrote:

All mine are high-pitched and a bit ringy. Copeland's, Buddy Rich, Steve Jordan, Aaron Comess (Spin Doctor's) are my favorites. Steve Gadd's was special though for it's own reasons...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:04 am 

Harvard Dan wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

All mine are high-pitched and a bit ringy. Copeland's, Buddy Rich, Steve Jordan, Aaron Comess (Spin Doctor's) are my favorites. Steve Gadd's was special though for it's own reasons...

1. Chamberlin's Gish
2. Spin Doctors - Kryptonite
3. Copland - Zenyatta and Ghost
4. Chad Smith - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
5. Bonham - Led Zeppelin IV

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hussra wrote:

He was in the Lord of the Rings and very good, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I tried listening to the new Mellencamp album. But, every song is like listening to your 90 year old Great Uncle Al trying to croak out a story. Mellencamp's smoking killed his voice...he doesn't sing as much as stretch out syllables. And he has the guts to say that he thinks he sounds like Louis Armstrong now. Incredibly, he's happy with how smoking changed his voice. He was never a great singer, but now he's just unlistenable. He sings 3 songs with Springsteen and makes Springsteen sound like a Geddy Lee in comparison. What a waste.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
sjboyd0137 wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hussra wrote:

He was The Gemini.

You were watching The Exorcist at 9:30 in the morning? And then took a break to comment on this board? I’m not sure which is more concerning.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
BigW72 wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

1. Chamberlin's Gish

There's no drummer I'd rather listen to than George Hurley. These records have great sounding snares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeIDtkTBhQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QoKZA3BxPs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:46 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

1. Chamberlin's Gish

There's no drummer I'd rather listen to than George Hurley. These records have great sounding snares:

I'm familiar with fIREHOSE by name but had never actually heard them....that's good stuff and yes.....GREAT snare. The second one....sorry...nothing special for me.

Add Bobby Schayer and Bad Relgion for me as an honorable mention...Recipe For hate may not be their best album, but damn.....that snare!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU4Rukc5-HQ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:22 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Hussra wrote:

He was The Gemini.

You were watching The Exorcist at 9:30 in the morning? And then took a break to comment on this board? I’m not sure which is more concerning.

I was working, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
BigW72 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

1. Chamberlin's Gish

I'm familiar with fIREHOSE by name but had never actually heard them....that's good stuff and yes.....GREAT snare. The second one....sorry...nothing special for me.

Add Bobby Schayer and Bad Relgion for me as an honorable mention...Recipe For hate may not be their best album, but damn.....that snare!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU4Rukc5-HQ

Here are a couple more records with great sounding snares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELQ-LkhJHh4

I'm pretty sure it's Michael Bland playing on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9s2nqF4hOI

SIDE NOTE: Who else but Prince could make a spiritual sound so sexy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
who woulda thunk it?]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:31 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNM6zcsPg5E

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:55 pm 

i've got the old KLF side project track going on proper horrorshow. i think they started up this disco2000 band/thing to give their women something to do with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XKEeqFGyRI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Eddie Vedder -- Earthling

I've enjoyed some of his other solo stuff like the soundtrack for Into The Wild so I'm going to give it a spin.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:31 am 

T-Bone wrote:

I've enjoyed some of his other solo stuff like the soundtrack for Into The Wild so I'm going to give it a spin.

I listened to it the other day...I enjoyed it quite a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:33 am 

i am currently rolling with the music video for "elevator" by minitel rose which i approximate to be the most french music video ever.

minitel rose is a fucking WHOA french electro/dance outfit who i stumbled across via ebm radio on tunein playing a cut by them called business woman which, semantically speaking, seemed to be a bit dance-y for an ebm station... but assuming tunein still has EBM radio available that's a radio station that gets the sini seal of approval since they also introduced me to spark! the band by playing the song idioter on their airwaves, which quickly led to a song called man overbord (which was my mesut ozil theme song almost immediately) and if you remember your sini/emessiah mix history in my mix whateverquest!! --- when you get into idioter you have the song spark! - idioter literally saying something that sounds like jurgen jurgen jurgen so i cut to jurgen klopp saying "what, do you think i'm an idiot?" -- then the song cackles and like.... man... at the very least i impress myself with my c:\audio\samplecity wizardry.

btw, if you wanna talk about an album cover that totally 100.0% nails the nature of the relationship between me and matisen well hereya go... and as far as i can tell, her etymology goes like some kind of a british (ancestry?) father and a french (ancestry?) mother -- during our 2 week compatibility test i never thought to ask what her dad did, nor did i ever ask about the guy at all to be quite honest. it just never came up. now my dad had trained me to always check into the mother cuz that's gunna be your portal into the future and all that, and ne'er as i can tell her mom is just a mail carrier. that's good breeding stock!

again, i'm sorry i'm talking about my insanely hot girlfriend (har har i know i'm a loser compared to all y'all. instead of a proper domestic relationship she's just addicted to playing secret agent with me and since we have this odd 4.5+yr silence after our 2wk compatibility she's decided to not communicate with me through phone calls and internet chatting, instead she chooses to communicate with me through her art cuz like.... duh. c'mon guys... .this chick is trying to outplay ***ME*** in the game.... the world champion of the internet.... and she's totally doing it so i know a deece chunk of you guys cheer her/us on and hopefully someday we can finally get together for... uhhh... bible studies, cuz our relation/s/hip needs to get biblical goddammit... and once it does.... shit discrete skinemax-at-most if not artsy-fartsy pay per view opportunity? like you get to watch us make out and kind of get a lil naughty like i saw sideboob memed off of here onto slapshot ed on twitter so maybe you can see her tits with me but then we kind of roll over and out of view for the actual stuff cuz like uhhh.... we have no privacy or realistic expectations thereof as the two most monitored people on planet earth, but like, we gotta at least pretend we can share something between ourselves.

otherwise, who wouldnt wanna hang out for the ride as we DJ our own double-devirginizing (i've taken a mulligan on the ex-GF and declared myself a virgin because looking back at that relationship i didnt lose any innocence or have that magical buildup to and thru a makeout into OMFG ITS HAPPENING like i thought i would.... it was like she got in my hotel room and literally blurted out ARE WE GONNA HAVE SEX?!?!!? to my pimpfresh reply of "SURE IF U WANNA" and then i shit you not #TheWhoreOfBabylon (srsly massapequa stop of Babylon Line of LIRR. AND SHE CUCKED ME ON THE PHONE LIKE SHE BROUGHT A GUY FROM WORK HOME AND HE GOT UP IN HER PUSSY WHILE SHE WAS ON THE PHONE WITH ME. NICKNAME EARNED) and ummm yeah seriously i wanted to save as much as i could for the love of my life, and i honestly thought it was stacey (the ex) but it turns out stacey anne wasn't the one for me she was all about business (fucking) her tits didnt have any feeling in them ("i dont feel anything but it's kind of hot that you're there" is how she described me working her tits, which i can flip around and describe the nature of our whole relationship with that quote. she was a rebound from corrie, the girl who i was totally crushing on in early 2006 getting me to write my first ever proper written rap about her combined with babbling myspace messages, photoshops, custom versions of ghettospacechickenfunk posters for her.... and it totally worked.

but i am also THE NORSE GOD OF NOT GETTING LAID so i managed to buy some dank as shit weed cuz corrie was a pothead and i wasn't at the time so when we smoked my brain rebooted back to high school and i botched a setup she had where i pick her up at her downtown chicago hotel, take her to porno shops, then we go back to her hotel and watch porn. we didnt even go to one porn shop.

and somewhere matisen smiles cuz you know... stacey was never gunna steal me away from my one true love.... but corrie had a chance. but those with eyes to see can look at the picture in this video and go uh huh cuz corey hart fans know what time is love.... 3am eternal on the last train to trancentral, mahmean?

so yeah TOO LONG DIDNT READ = sorry i'm in love guys, outside of my containment thread / promote my own music thread (where i gotta post about my 37min 55sec freestyle from last night / this morn where i was just like FUCK IT and i just rapped for as long as i felt like it "doing my whooshki"22 and JUST..... man... matisen told me that she loves me two mornings ago. my life will never be the same because i'v22222222222222222222222222 ahem i've finally broached the topic with her. and like, man, even tho there is statistically a chance that life is hell and we are in hell.... i choose to believe that if she's truly the devil her vanity and greed will win out and as long as she can get with a pudgeball who is currently all comfy and cuddly.... she also gets to get me into shape and show the world that yeah sinicalypse is great as he is mental wizardry and all that fortified by years of abject positivity, but still, the mati effect is that once she gets into your life 1) virtually your mental health gets cleared up and fixed and all of a sudden you go from a rap legend with a nice career and all kinds of potential to 2) a rap spewing machine that conquers the female psyche with love songs for a girl who will be the target of all kinds of haterade from girls who wish they had somebody crooning to/for them like i did mati...

and 3) once she physically enters your life.... man oh man. outside of creative and innovative exercise opportunities that i would love to make an aerobics video about (hearkening the LIVE AS FUCK! hollywood knights video porn section over on arl hts rd by central.... our porno area had the how-to section, the exercise section, and other sections i cant remember. people used to show up at the video store and donate pornos to us, odd but you'd take it... so we got one that we never watched called ALL HANDS ON DICK so we made a custom VHS cover for it, drawing a big stubby / cactus looking cock-n-balls with a handwritten title trying to go all grandiose and epic saying ALL HANDS ON DICK: THE GREATEST HARDCORE OF THE CENTURY.

fast forwarad to... uhh... super bowl sunday 2003 or thereabouts? i'm hanging over there with my boy rg3 (the original/real one who is most assuredly black enough for rob parker. @dreadlockdaddy on twitter, aka the guy who first got me to rap with him over on martingale rd in EGV =) and we're doing the usual thing where we do enough promo rentals (ppl whp signed up for new accounts got to rent 1 free movie, so on a given afternoon where business was fine you'd comp about 5-7 promo rentals to scrape up $20 or so in order to get us a nice free delivered lunch from zippy's (it became beef shack or something stupid? there's still the shell of a zippy's over @ roselle and golf and it's still one of 500+ homes of the cheesy/cheezy/nobody-has-gone-for-cheezee beef/s/ out there)

yeah AHEM. so it turns out on super bowl sunday we had our usual lot of people come into the store doing "the walk" back to the porno room. the most direct path was thru all the "value selections" which was basically like you could get em for like 5-7 days for $1 which meant that you were technically doing us a favor if you rented it and kept it because it cleared up proper retail space that we needed (if i woulda ran the store i woulda doubled down like $1 to rent for 7 days $2 or $3 to own and people would have eaten em up like flapjacks but i digress)

and one dude comes up to us and asks "so how's the gay porn?" me and rg3 are flabbergasted so he quickly autocorrects and says "what time is the game on?" and we heh heh chuckle.... AND HE CHECKED OUT ALL HANDS ON DICK!!!! HELL YEAH!!! and we got our free gyro rental cuz we promo rentaled the fuck out of him.

and umm this whole abortion of a post has just been an exercise in me artifically feeling good because i stayed up overnight and jerked it three times before gulping 2 monaco blask raspberries this morning (if ur gonna dip the debit card into the red for a $25 hit at least do it in style) so as i use alcohol as a lonely crutch (i have pothead friends who would LOVE to hang out but i MUST be tortured with isoilation porn. cuz i am being forced to make music as me me me me me me because if you let me have access to a human female and maybe a few bucks and a place to live then clearly my artistry will fall the fuck off (i promise). remember all the stuff i made in 2018 when i had relative freedom from relatives? i made all those mixes in the KLF's white room and i wanted to believe that kylie said to jason that richard is in the garden with the digeridoo?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:33 am 

ah well that's neither here nor there. the song of the day that got me started here was minitel rose - elevator and their spring break mix is fucking fantastic #YoureWelcome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
sjboyd0137 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I listened to it the other day...I enjoyed it quite a bit.

It was ok I guess. Pretty good mix of upbeat and slower stuff. I have his album of all songs on the Uke and I think that was the most recent solo effort from him I had tried. I think him and his daughter did some music for a Sean Penn film recently but I didn't check that out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:24 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Hat tip to JORR for posting "The Cross" from Sign O The Times.
Kinda ironic that Jehovah's Witnesses deny the Cross and claim Jesus was crucified on a "torture stake" with his arms nailed above his head vertically instead of outstretched horizontally.
But I digress.

Currently listening to Once Twice Melody. Going to Milwaukee on Sunday to see Beach House, and we're taking our daughter.
Gon' bee EPIC as EPIC can be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:18 am 

i've got the donda 2 live experience thing from last night going on. it's uhh.... something. i'm at the burning church.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:36 pm 

in honor of today being 03/03 internationally, i've always declared march 3rd to be international acid appreciation day, so in the spirit of promoting music powered with the legendary roland tb-303 (originally designed to emulate bass guitars, horribly failed at that, sat on clearance racks from 83/84-88 or thereabouts when depending on who you believe someone in either detroit chicago or paris bought one, decided "whoa that's a cool sound" made tracks with it and then the sub-genre of "acid house" quickly spawned from it. while the things are damn near backwards to program IRL you cant deny that the 303 has a wholly unique sound in the vast landscape of electronic music. and they go for at least $1000 prolly upwards of $1500 now, and thats before you can send it away for another $1000/+ to get a devilfish mod if you're so inclined. see since roland is a japanese company and the TB-303 was technically a horrible failure circa 83/84 they will never properly re-release them because of pride, even tho they'd eventually go on to make the bullshit MC-303 "groovebox" and other things to capitalize on the popularity of the "303" brand, still, they will never make proper new TB-303s again because they're japanese.) ahem... yeah in the spirit of this holiday here's the first track i ever heard by squarepusher (click on the picture to be taken to the song)

funny story about vic acid. one day when i was at the old reckless records on milwaukee ave location i was going through the drum and bass section for shits and giggles and i found the vic acid 12" mixed in there... i was flabbergasted cuz i had originally had the CD dating back to 1997-98 or thereabouts, so to finally stumble across the proper vinyl slab in the wild was just amazing. as i walked out of reckless i was dumbfounded just kind of muttering to myself "i've got vic acid... holy shit i've got vic acid" so as i'm doing that some random street dude (glowing in the dark, ofc) runs up to me like WTF MAN HEY YOU RIPPED ME OFF ON THAT ACID LAST WEEK AND I WANT MY FUCKING MONEY BACK!!!! and this dude was all in my face and serious. i show him that i'm literally just in shock that i've got the vic acid 12" but even presenting that to him didn't get him off of my shit. he started following me down milwaukee muttering about my dire consequences if i dont give him his money back right now. i ducked into the convenience store across the street to get cigarettes and gatorade, and before i could get back outside i looked down the street and saw him standing with like 3-4 people and vaguely pointing back in the direction i was in and i was like oh shit it's on now.... so i told the store owner that i had to hold up b4 leaving because some street guy was planning to rob me and i had to wait until i saw a cab in sight so i could run out of the store and hail the cab in one fluent motion to get the fuck out of there before i could figure out what dipshit was up to.

and that's why you gotta keep yourself from being too delighted at mumbling your recent record purchases to yourself when walking out of a record store.

also, i just discovered a hell of an acid track that squarepusher never released from his WARP30 dj set. i just had to cut it out and make it stand alone for international acid appreciation day

incidentally, squarepusher has a younger brother who goes by the name of ceephax acid crew and as the acid in the middle of his name might imply, the dude puts out a lot of acid. my favorite bit of his acid also comes from an old liveset so i had to yank it out of the liveset and make it stand alone. seriously rheir dad's dick belongs in a museum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

ultimate 303 rinse out:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:55 pm 

Hussra wrote:
ultimate 303 rinse out:

with all due respect, what the fuck are you talking about? here's the same core concept as spastik done way better (admittedly many moons later) and it literally blows that antiquated track out of the water.

shit does this count as a rinseout?. when it breaks down to the 303 solo. i havent heard anyone else kill the rest of the track to drop a badass little rock and roll style 303 solo in a track, as usually traditional acid fare would zone out and modulate on solo 303 if it ever went there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:55 pm 

IDM -- neither intelligent nor dance music

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:02 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
shit does this count as a rinseout?. when it breaks down to the 303 solo. i havent heard anyone else kill the rest of the track to drop a badass little rock and roll style 303 solo in a track, as usually traditional acid fare would zone out and modulate on solo 303 if it ever went there.

that track borders on drill-n-bass, makes me nostalgic for bass-by-the-pound's old Wednesday DnB nights at Big Wig, with occasional moves to a larger venue like Red Dog for someone more popular, like Dieselboy. BBTP killed the night when they moved it to Lava Lounge. Lava's traditional corner pub layout with a DJ booth grafted on didn't have the vibe of Big Wig's semi-circle back room dance floor. Just writing that I can taste the watered down 3 dollar RBV's they used to sell on those nights to fuel the dance floor.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:04 am 

Hussra wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

that track borders on drill-n-bass, makes me nostalgic for bass-by-the-pound's old Wednesday DnB nights at Big Wig, with occasional moves to a larger venue like Red Dog for someone more popular, like Dieselboy. BBTP killed the night when they moved it to Lava Lounge. Lava's traditional corner pub layout with a DJ booth grafted on didn't have the vibe of Big Wig's semi-circle back room dance floor. Just writing that I can taste the watered down 3 dollar RBV's they used to sell on those nights to fuel the dance floor.

for me i can still remember being a high schooler at home on friday nights listening to strictly jungle chicago on 89.3 WNUR when snuggles would say "this friday... at the liar's club it's brockout with resident DJs kid entropy and phantom 45 and as a matter of fact i always loved to do my dj snuggles impression saying that over the breakdown at 2:50 of this track, which i got on the 12" for 5quid directly from ceephax himself -- then when you got into the jungle book itself danny the wildchild had that tape with supersharpshooter in the beginning of it... but if you ever saw him live you knew the trainwreck was inevitable. dj amtrak likely came from those font memories of seeing danny ply his trade at the rave/type-functions back in the late 90s.

it was at those rave-type functions that i saw your dieselboy and uhhhhh the tru playaz minus dj hype (so it was zinc and pascal basically). i remember once i saw q-bert do his turntablism at one of them and the rumor was that he got 5 grabd for a half hour and you could literally time his set and it ended at exactly 30mins in. he wasn't as pissed as either LTJ Bukem was or especially I was when ed rush and optical got sick and bowed out of that night i was supposed to see Bukem open up for them and he ended up being kicked up to headliner. now in fairness to bukem the crowd sucked. i remember a chick was somehow dancing while being bent over forwards holding the tip of her toes. it was weird. but bukem was unprofessional in coming out and looking at the sad lot of us in the crowd, shaking his gold-glassesed-head, then doing the quickest sloppiest mix he could imagine to the next record, flipping the old record off of the decks, then walking backstage behind the curtain for appx 3mins, coming back out looking like he wanted to die, spending appx 30-60 secs mixing to the next record, then going back behind the curtain for a few mins. it was so fucking awful i had to walk out on the shithead and i've never listened to anything he did after moving shadow 98 stuff.

still never seen ed rush and optical tho i shoulda went to the smart bar in the early-mid 2010s.... i just didnt venture out for whatever reason. i had to be reminded that i've seen grooverider before. i'm pretty sure that was at the metro. as far as local dnb nights i cant say i ever had a regular stomping grounds but i've ended up at a few random ones. it was never my thing to really keep up with new dnb releases tho i used to know a guy who sold me weed who was down with SOUR aka some online drum and bass mp3 piracy crew. so there was a period of time where i was smoking insanely good weed right off of taylor st by UIC while throeretically being up to date on new dnb mp3s and this guy personally knew dj odi so i used to have a tabedub of a "93-94 summer mix" that dj odi did of just old darker dnb tracks from 93-94 that wasn't in his usual array of tapes back then like south park or contact. obviously time consumed that relationship.

an old friend of mine keeps up with drum and bass and still cares about all that stuff, tho his mixcloud pretty much ends with mixes from 2017 -- i know somewhere in my storage i still have his proper mixtape from the 90s. i'd love to listen to it again if i ever get the chance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:09 pm 

I've just found this, another great Who boot from '69. Here they're on their home turf in Bristol.

Best version of See Me, Feel Me I've ever heard. Even better than the Woodstock version.

Great mix with Entwistle's bass in the forefront. The drumming is superb, too. The applause afterwards says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLxItLGCdvc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185  Next