It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RRHOF 2024
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Foreigner finally in. Wonder if that was due to the push from Mark Ronson (the guy who wrote “I’m just Ken” from Barbie and whose father-in-law is none other than Mick Jones).

Styx needs to be next.

Post subject: Re: RRHOF 2024
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
why havent they changed the name to music hall of fame.... or did i miss the part of mary k blige's career where she did rock and roll? literally no one would care if the name changed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Foreigner finally in. Wonder if that was due to the push from Mark Ronson (the guy who wrote “I’m just Ken” from Barbie and whose father-in-law is none other than Mick Jones).

Styx needs to be next.

They should be in before the fucking Dave Matthews Band that’s for sure

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I was far too young to appreciate any kind of music scene when Foreigner was in its heyday. Were they considered to be a serious band? I've always placed them in the REO Speedwagon/Cheap Trick (definitely the valedictorian of this group)/Styx bucket.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Warren Newson wrote:
I was far too young to appreciate any kind of music scene when Foreigner was in its heyday. Were they considered to be a serious band? I've always placed them in the REO Speedwagon/Cheap Trick (definitely the valedictorian of this group)/Styx bucket.

Journey is more in that group than Cheap Trick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:46 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

You're probably right, and Cheap Trick seems to enjoy more respect from rock critics than anyone else on the list. However, I think you can classify all of them as pop rock.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Warren Newson wrote:

foreigner was considered rock until foreigner 4 came out and then it became a girls' band. head games vs. i've been waiting for a girl like you.

lou gramm did have an excellent voice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:25 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

You're probably right, and Cheap Trick seems to enjoy more respect from rock critics than anyone else on the list. However, I think you can classify all of them as pop rock.

"Corporate rock" was the label I always associated with Kansas, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey, and Foreigner. Asia, too British, too nerdy (too fast, TOO good!). Good litmus test: did they, in some ship-of-Theseus form, go on to play state fairs?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
badrogue17 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Styx needs to be next.

It would be hard to enshrine a shittier band than DMB. While the RRHOF is a ridiculous joke to begin with there is still no justification for honoring and celebrating the complete ass end of music that is DMB.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:02 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

"Corporate rock" was the label I always associated with Kansas, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey, and Foreigner. Asia, too British, too nerdy (too fast, TOO good!). Good litmus test: did they, in some ship-of-Theseus form, go on to play state fairs?

I had to Google Ship of Theseus. I got about two sentences into the Wikipedia description and started laughing. Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Fuuuuuck Boston

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I don't know about calling most of those bands corporate rock. Sure, at some point they got into a studio with a producer but most like Styx, REO and Cheap Trick were bar and school gym bands a long time. Boston was a genius in a basement no matter what Boyd thinks. :lol: Santana was pieces of youngsters leaving the great Santana. Kansas were road warriors until Don Kirshner bought them

Sure they made a ton of LPs and money but corporate seems a bit off.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:50 am 

I thought it had more to do with being played on "mainstream" rock stations than REO Speedwagon having, like, a board of directors to report to or something.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:58 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I thought it had more to do with being played on "mainstream" rock stations than REO Speedwagon having, like, a board of directors to report to or something.

Gotcha. Agreed, opposite of indie etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
pittmike wrote:
Boston was a genius in a basement no matter what Boyd thinks.

"Geniuses" can make shitty music too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:39 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

Styx needs to be next.

Foreigner blows

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Kansas, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey, and Foreigner.

And Smashing Pumpkins.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Styx needs to be next.

You misspelled Iron Maiden

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:00 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Styx needs to be next.

Doubt it but that would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Styx needs to be next.

Also interesting they felt the need to induct Ozzy when he was already in for Black Sabbath.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Styx needs to be next.

Also interesting they felt the need to induct Ozzy when he was already in for Black Sabbath.

They do that a lot. I think Clapton is in like 4 times. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Styx needs to be next.

It would be hard to enshrine a shittier band than DMB. While the RRHOF is a ridiculous joke to begin with there is still no justification for honoring and celebrating the complete ass end of music that is DMB.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 pm 

I loved Dave Matthews Band in middle school/high school, then woke up one day and hated them, and now I like them again. The whole run of radio hits is a good summer day soundtrack. I love the song "Stay Wasting Too Much Time To Say."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:03 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I loved Dave Matthews Band in middle school/high school, then woke up one day and hated them, and now I like them again. The whole run of radio hits is a good summer day soundtrack. I love the song "Stay Wasting Too Much Time To Say."

DMB has become kind of a punching bag of hate like Nickelback. I think they're a band of really good musicians and because I like jam and improv bands, I'd enjoy seeing them live. In terms of good songwriting? Their list of good songs is pretty low.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:07 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Styx needs to be next.

Iron Maiden is still FILLING arenas by themselves. They are the biggest giants from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. They 100% belong in the hall of fame more than any other band sitting out there. The RRHOF is a long-running joke, so I don't expect this to get resolved any time soon.

For the record....Styx is perfectly fine and I wouldn't lose any sleep if they were inducted in the RRHOF.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:

There's something inherently hilarious about the thought of Curious Hair jamming out to....Dave Matthews.

Look in the mirror, my friend!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
BigW72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

DMB has become kind of a punching bag of hate like Nickelback. I think they're a band of really good musicians and because I like jam and improv bands, I'd enjoy seeing them live. In terms of good songwriting? Their list of good songs is pretty low.

Big Big Fan of Carter Beauford's drumming on the first few albums (great groove on #41, Sooner or Later is a great drum track, etc...), but I wouldn't go out of my way to go see a show.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Styx needs to be next.

Iron Maiden is still FILLING arenas by themselves. They are the biggest giants from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. They 100% belong in the hall of fame more than any other band sitting out there. The RRHOF is a long-running joke, so I don't expect this to get resolved any time soon.

For the record....Styx is perfectly fine and I wouldn't lose any sleep if they were inducted in the RRHOF.

Another insanely talented drummer (not the original, but the long time replacement from when Panozzo was sick). Todd Sucherman with a number of great solo's on drumeo and Youtube.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

DMB is probably my most hated band of all time. It's not all rational, but I'll never forgive them for knocking Pearl Jam out of the box as the most popular/important band of the day. They then lingered around far too long with people obsessing over their shows like they were the Grateful Dead. Happily, they now appear to be totally irrelevant and everyone I knew who obsessed over them seems to have completely disowned them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Kansas, Boston, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey, and Foreigner.

And Smashing Pumpkins.

I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan, so don't interpret this post as a defense of them. But, why did you include them in that list?